Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/22/2007, 12:22 PM
That's Mind Bottling !

The First Day of School

FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL (Fantastic)

Back in September of 2005, on the first day of school, Martha Cothren, a social studies school teacher at Robinson High School in Little Rock, did something not to be forgotten. On the first day of school, with the permission of the school superintendent, the principal and the building supervisor, she removed all of the desks out of her classroom. When the first period kids entered the room they discovered that there were no desks.

Looking around, confused, they asked, "Ms. Cothren, where're our
desks?"

She replied, "You can't have a desk until you tell me what you have done to earn the right to sit at a desk."

They thought, "Well, maybe it's our grades."

"No," she said.

"Maybe it's our behavior."

She told them, "No, it's not even your behavior." And so, they came and went, the first period, second period, third period. Still no desks in the classroom. By early afternoon television news crews had started gathering in Ms. Cothren's classroom to report about this crazy teacher who had taken all the desks out of her room.

The final period of the day came and as the puzzled students found seats on the floor of the deskless classroom, Martha Cothren said, "Throughout the day no one has been able to tell me just what he/she has done to earn the right to sit at the desks that are ordinarily found in this classroom. Now I am going to tell you."

At this point, Martha Cothren went over to the door of her classroom and opened it. Twenty-seven (27) U.S. Veterans, all in uniforms, walked into that classroom, each one carrying a school desk. The Vets began placing the school desks in rows, and then they would walk over and stand alongside the wall. By the time the last soldier had set the final desk in place those kids started to understand, perhaps for the first time in their lives, just how the right to sit at those desks had been earned.

Martha said, "You didn't earn the right to sit at these desks. These heroes did it for you. They placed the desks here for you. Now, it's up to you to sit in them. It is your responsibility to learn, to be good students, to be good citizens. They paid the price so that you could have the freedom to get an education. Don't ever forget it."

This is a true story....

If you can read this - thank a teacher!

If you can read it in English - thank a soldier!

I look at her with my head tilted to the side and in a soft voice I just say; You're so pretty !
Old 09/22/2007, 12:25 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

GULP
Old 09/22/2007, 12:29 PM
Premium Member

wow, what a surprise, a real story...

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/nodesks.asp
Old 09/22/2007, 12:34 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

I don't have the heart to do it...

Repost

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 09/22/2007, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

Good story

“The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 09/22/2007, 07:12 PM
On "The List"

Quote:
Originally posted by dinoman
I don't have the heart to do it...

Repost
that one is good enough to repost monthly! (IMHO)

HEY! I lost it first ~CRP

There is no "Brain" in "Brian." ~Beerguy
Old 09/22/2007, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

How Touching.
Old 09/22/2007, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

That's so touching...those students must have realized the power of their education.
Old 09/23/2007, 09:23 AM
That's Mind Bottling !

Yeah I checked it on snopes.com before I posted it and I thought to myself;

Self, how poetic and dignified a way for this teacher to pay her respects to our veterans AND convey that sentiment to a young generation as well ! Bravo Bravo !

I look at her with my head tilted to the side and in a soft voice I just say; You're so pretty !
Old 09/23/2007, 01:25 PM
VILP

Wish there were more teachers like that one!
Old 09/23/2007, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

Thats a great lesson for kids to learn. Far too many people take our freedoms for granted!! I think alot of the people in this country could stand to be taught that lesson!!
Old 09/23/2007, 03:12 PM
That's Mind Bottling !

Amen to that !

Old 09/23/2007, 05:59 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

Wow.