Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers

Old 09/04/2007, 04:31 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
Professional water testing for $20

just saw this in the "reef chemistry" forum.. sounds cool...

http://www.natureef.com/

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1180164

Quote:
Originally posted by HowardW
Ok, I just got back my results! Here they are:

Ammonia (NH3-4)
Natural Seawater Value: 0.010 mg/l
Acceptable Range: 0.000 to 0.050 mg/l
Tested: 0.010 mg/l

Your ammonia levels are within the recommended values. We recommend staying with the current feeding and stocking levels. Be sure to maintain a good schedule of water changes and additives. Ammonia levels can rise after the addition of new animals, after a water change, or after the changing of food diet. Any ammonia level above 0.05 mg/l is a cause for concern, and the source should be found and corrected.

Nitrite (NO2)
Natural Seawater Value: 0.010 mg/l
Acceptable Range: 0.000 to 0.100 mg/l
Tested: 0.003 mg/l

Your nitrite values are within the acceptable range. We recommend continuing with your current maintenance and feeding schedules. Residual levels of nitrite are common in marine aquariums. Levels of 0.05 or less are of little concern. If the levels are higher than this, the source should be found and corrected.

Nitrate (NO3)
Natural Seawater Value: 0.050 mg/l
Acceptable Range: 0.000 to 25 mg/l
Tested: 0.910 mg/l

Your nitrate values are within acceptable parameters. Be sure to maintain correct stocking and feeding levels, as well as a regular water change schedule. Nitrate is not toxic in and of itself, but a rising level is indicative of deteriorating water conditions, and any level above 5.0 mg/l in reef aquariums is a reason for concern.

Phosphate (PO4)
Natural Seawater Value: 0.030 mg/l
Acceptable Range: 0.000 to 0.250 mg/l
Tested: 0.041 mg/l

Your phosphate levels are within acceptable parameters. We recommend continuing the current maintenance and water change schedule. The use of a phosphate absorbing resin is recommended to keep phosphate levels below 0.05 mg/l.

Silica (Sio2-3)
Natural Seawater Value: 0.040 mg/l
Acceptable Range: 0.000 to 0.500 mg/l
Tested: 3.747 mg/l

Your silicate level is too high. We recommend that you use a deionization resin for your make-up/top-off water. You may also use a commercially available phosphate absorber, as these will also remove some silicate. Silicate is required by many types of sponges for growth/reproduction, but will also encourage brown diatom algae growth. Any level above 0.3 mg/l may cause a diatom bloom in the aquarium.

Potassium (K)
Natural Seawater Value: 390 mg/l
Acceptable Range: 350 to 450 mg/l
Tested: 398 mg/l

Your potassium level is within the acceptable range. We recommend continuing with your current water change and chemical additive schedule. Potassium is an important constituent of seawater, being found in almost the same concentration as calcium. Potassium is important for neurological functions in fishes, as well as being a critical plant nutrient required by zooxanthellae and macro algae.

Calcium (Ca)
Natural Seawater Value: 400 mg/l
Acceptable Range: 350 to 450 mg/l
Tested: 464 mg/l

Your calcium levels are too high. We recommend that you suspend any calcium additions until the level stabilizes. If you have a calcium reactor, it may need to be adjusted. You may also need to adjust the alkalinity of the water. Maintaining the correct calcium levels is critical to the growth of corals and coralline algae. Fish also require calcium to maintain their health. High levels of calcium can cause dangerous fluctuations in other important elements, as well as in the alkalinity and pH of the water.

Boron (B)
Natural Seawater Value: 4.6 mg/l
Acceptable Range: 3.0 – 6.0 mg/l
Tested: 11.374 mg/l

Your boron (as borate) levels are too high. We recommend the suspension of any buffer containing borate salts until levels stabilize. You may also wish to perform a partial water change. Borate is an important part of the water buffering system, and it helps keep calcium levels stable. An overabundance of borate can cause dangerous fluctuations in alkalinity and pH, as well as causing inaccurate calcium test readings.

Molybdenum (Mo)
Natural Seawater Value: 0.100 mg/l
Acceptable Range: 0.080 to 0.120 mg/l
Tested: 0.311 mg/l

Your molybdenum level is too high. We recommend a partial water change to reduce this level. You should also suspend the use of any additives containing molybdenum. Molybdenum is important for the biological processes of bacteria, and may be of some benefit to corals as well. High levels of molybdenum are known to encourage blooms of slime algae or cyanobacteria.

Strontium (Sr)
Natural Seawater Value: 8.1 mg/l
Acceptable Range: 5.0 to 12.0 mg/l
Tested: 5.490 mg/l

Your strontium levels are within the acceptable range of values. We recommend continuing with your current additive schedules. Strontium is important to coral growth, as they incorporate strontium ions into their skeletal mass, particularly SPS corals. It is also important to coralline algae growth.

Magnesium (Mg)
Natural Seawater Value: 1280 mg/l
Acceptable Range: 1100 to 1400 mg/l
Tested: 1277 mg/l

Your values are within the acceptable range. We recommend staying with your current water change and additive schedule. Magnesium is a very important part of the water buffering system, and is incorporated into coral skeletons. It is also critical to any photosynthetic processes.

Iodine (IŻ)
Natural Seawater Value: 0.060 mg/l
Acceptable Range: 0.030 to 0.090 mg/l
Tested: 0.106 mg/l

Your Iodine levels are too high. We recommend a reduction in chemical additives containing Iodine. You may also wish to reduce the feeding of any shellfish-type, or red-algae based foods, and increase protein skimming. Iodide is known to be required by many soft corals, marine macro algae, and is a component of many of the colorful pigments in stony corals. Iodine is a strong oxidizer however, and an overabundance can damage coral tissues, and has been implicated in algal blooms.

Copper (Cu++)
Natural Seawater Value: 0.030 mg/l
Acceptable Range: 0.000 to 0.030 mg/l
Tested: 0.036 mg/l

Your copper levels are too high. We recommend the use of activated carbon to reduce this level. You should also use only RO/DI water for make-up/top-off water, as most copper that gets into tanks comes from copper water pipes in the home. It is also an ingredient in many fish medications. Copper is an important trace mineral for metabolic processes in many marine organisms. However, levels above 0.05 are toxic to almost all invertebrates and some fish species.

Alkalinity (dkh)
Natural Seawater Value: 2.5 meq/l
Acceptable Range: 2.5 to 5.0 meq/l
Tested: 2.657 meq/l

Your alkalinity is within acceptable values. We recommend continuing with your current water change and buffering schedule. Maintaining an appropriate alkalinity is crucial to maintaining a healthy aquarium. A fluctuating alkalinity will lead to serious problems in maintaining an appropriate pH, as well as problems keeping calcium and magnesium levels within required parameters.

Thank you for using AquariumWaterTesting.com

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 09/04/2007, 04:43 PM
Premium Member

Considering all the testing that they do, that is a great price.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success

Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!
Old 09/04/2007, 04:46 PM

and shipping is included....

Old 09/04/2007, 04:48 PM
It's Domo-kun

That's pretty sweet for $20!
Old 09/04/2007, 04:58 PM
Rubberman

I also read their knowledge of NSW levels might be off some.

SteveU
Old 09/04/2007, 04:59 PM
Rubberman

If those tests are anything like the Hanna for PO4 I wouldn't do all those tests for twice the money.
Old 09/04/2007, 05:19 PM
Premium Member

I think I read that they are using a spectrum analyzer for some of the tests, that makes it uber accurate, cheep per test but $$$$$ for the machine. it may be a good way just to check my visual acuity, test kit quality and technique, I think they want a subscription, sort of like netflix for your fish tank
Old 09/04/2007, 09:54 PM

and there are no contracts.. just send it in when you want your water tested...

Old 09/04/2007, 10:51 PM
Premium Member

Not bad at all for $20, now if I can just find a way to have it shipped, levels anaylized and adjusted, all automatically then I could truly say I accomplished something.
Old 09/05/2007, 12:38 AM
Registered Member

I've figured it out sandman.. I'll get my sister or my girlfriend to do it, muahahaha.
Old 09/05/2007, 10:05 AM
Where'd my check go?!

On their site, they say that if you send in 2 samples, you get a 15% discount....

Anyone else thinking what im thinking? GB? I wonder if they would give us a sick deal if a bunch of us send in samples?

-TJ
Old 09/05/2007, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

For $20, sounds like a deal. I think I'll ship some off when I next get the chance...can't hurt and it may show where my measurements are off/on target.
Old 09/07/2007, 02:35 PM
Cruisin In the bad Merc

how come when you go to the site it says 99.00
Old 09/07/2007, 02:54 PM

click on "Have your water professionally tested by Coral Reef Research "

i copied this from the site

The cost is $20.00 for a complete analysis and $15.00 for an analysis that does not include the trace elements (in italics on the form above). Send us two samples and get 15% off the regular price.

Send your 2 cup samples to:
Coral Reef Research, Inc.
5098 NW 37th Ave, Unit A
Tamarac, FL 33309

Old 09/07/2007, 04:21 PM
Cruisin In the bad Merc

i must be loosing my mind cause I can't find that
Old 09/07/2007, 04:24 PM
Cruisin In the bad Merc

hahahhahahah I found it i was on another site. man I'm glad it's friday
Old 09/07/2007, 04:30 PM
Cruisin In the bad Merc

I know what it is I keep starring at gabe's avatar !!!!!!!!!!!

Focus Focus !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09/07/2007, 04:40 PM

lol... FoCUs mAN...

Old 09/20/2007, 07:52 PM
Premium Member

Has anyone used this water testing service?
Old 09/20/2007, 08:47 PM

try the link i provided above...

Old 09/20/2007, 11:27 PM
Premium Member

Of the two, I'm leaning towards the aquariumwatertesting.com vs. natureef.com because of the Kalium and Stronium testing. Assuming aquariumwatertesting.com will do a one time test panel.

It's either send the samples for testing or purchase the ZEOvit or the UltraLith Kalium test to determin if I need K-stong or K-balance.

I've got the Salifert kits for other stuff, but you know how that can go.

BTW... thanks for the good deal on the carbon.. great stuff!
Old 09/20/2007, 11:35 PM
Full Time Tank Slave

I went with AWT. They sent out the testing containers quick and the results back even quicker.

I first emailed the guy at NR and the email got bounced back for some reason. So I called the guy and he was real enthusiastic about talking to me and about his service (Yeah Right) After talking to him I decided I would give my business to someone who really acted like he cared. I feel I made the right choice too
Old 09/20/2007, 11:50 PM
Premium Member

Thanks Eric... out of curiosity how were your Kalium results compared to the KZ kit (which can be difficult to read)?