Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/03/2007, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

Help! Pics of millie w microbubbles

I've tried everything that I can think of. Raised ALK, Lowered Alk, changed flow, water changes, tested & tested & tested. What is causing these millies to have microbubbles? I eliminated them from coming in return. This millie is up on right side of tank where the return side is, but return doesn't flow that close to it. This millie does seem to have tons of mucus after feeding selcon soaked brine shrimp. However, in the past it gets "over it". It is more prevalent in the evening.

2 x 150 DE MH 11 hours

PH 8.2
salt 35
Calcium 440
ALK 11.2 (depends on which freakin test kit I use )3 from Salifert say anywhere from 9.9 to 12.8, IO says 10.2)
trates at 0
phosphates >.024
temp 79-80

grape calerpa in fuge since chaeto melted 100 times.
equipment & fish listed below:
Thanks for ANY SUGGESTIONS!!!!!!
Ralph
Old 09/03/2007, 07:39 PM
Registered Member

Can you post a FTS? Are there alot of micro bubbles in the tank? I'm also surprised, if thats what I think it is, diatomic algae growth on the tips, especially with the Tuzes for flow in a 55g.
Old 09/03/2007, 07:48 PM
Registered Member

picture coming!

This has been going on for about a month. I believe the bubbles were coming from my skimmer, however, I added back a filter sock & added a baffle, so that should be fixed. (about a month ago, I inadvertently removed a filter sock that I kept on the sponge for ROWA, but I felt I didn't need it anymore due to my reactor doing fine and phosphates have been consistenly below .024) I didn't realize that this sock was also protecting my tank from micro bubbles!
The skimmer was just cleaned. No Algae outbreak besides some cyno in 2 or 3 small spots. 2 inch sand bed for looks. There are some mico bubbles in one other spot, on some cyno at the edge of some live rock at the same level as this millie. It's on some cyno. It's about a 1/2 inch square area.
no bubbles from anywhere else as far as I can tell, & I've been looking pretty close! Could I increase flow to knock off the bubbles?
Old 09/03/2007, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

Did you try blowing them off with your hand or small powerhead?
Old 09/03/2007, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

yeah, but they eventually come back.
Old 09/03/2007, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

FTS

Old 09/03/2007, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

Tank looks good. Are there any areas on the mille that have receeded/tissue loss because in the first pic it looks like some diatomic growth on the left side of the right branch.

You got flow, so thats not it.

Sidenote, can you scrape the back glass, the corals will pop, trust me, my tank was like yours with the coraline growth.

Also, what is your photoperiod and how do you like the AB 10k? They seem to be a nice white. Natural shallow reef look to them.
Old 09/03/2007, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

yes, there is some tissue loss! not much, but enough to be concerned. That is diatoms.

love the bulbs! photoperiod is 11 hours.
Old 09/03/2007, 08:33 PM
Registered Member

The bubbles are from the diatoms, gas exchange. Keep an eye on it. If it starts to receed alot more you may have to frag it.

So, the AB 10K's do look that white. Is your light fixture a Current Sunpod? Thanks for the pics.
Old 09/03/2007, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

what do you think?
actually, I noticed a lot of micro bubbles on the underside of the live rock near the bottom. In many places. I only got the Tunze system a couple of months ago, & I've kept it at a very low setting.
both sides were on interval 2, 30% & 40%, pulse at 1.5 seconds, 1 minute interval.

I increased both sides to 30% & 60%, pulse at 2 seconds, 1 minute interval????????
It might be flow.

Yeah, it's a sunpod. I tried a lot of bulbs, these are by far the best looking bulbs for me!
Old 09/03/2007, 09:06 PM
Registered Member

The increased flow will help. Fully cranked you are over 50x T.O. between the two, more than enough.

They might be my next bulbs. I like the look. Thanks.
Old 09/04/2007, 03:10 AM
Registered Member

I definitely think the flow is too low. There is no way in my tank bubbles could settle on any of my Acro colonies. I have about 2200 GPH in my 55 and I'm still able to keep clams, LPS, and my tiny Occ. clowns have no problems swimming about.
Old 09/04/2007, 05:27 AM
Registered Member

at least it was an "easy fix"! (for a change!)