Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/24/2007, 11:47 PM
Registered Member

Trying to use the search function.
Old 08/24/2007, 11:55 PM
I hate line 42!!!!!!!

I hate line 42!!!!!!!!!
Old 08/25/2007, 12:59 AM
Registered Member

The people who have tangs in really small tanks because they are "planning" to upgrade when it grows some. I know that some people do actually upgrade to keep their growing fish happy but for every one of those people there has to be several who just decide "Oh, he's still alive and eating, he should be fine for another year in my 30 gal."
Old 08/25/2007, 01:06 AM
Coral Assassin

1 - Name brand loyalists: People who say "Deltec is the best!" or "Get a Tunze!" without knowing anything about other available brands of equipment on the market.

2 - People who take every opportunity to post a picture of their tank/corals in places threads where irrelevant.

e.g. "I run a kalk reactor 24/7. Here's a FTS."

Old 08/25/2007, 05:38 AM
Premium Member

Using "of" for "off" really bristles my worm.
Old 08/25/2007, 06:44 AM
Registered Member

Someone posted this before and I apologize for not remembering who, but Kalkwasser is german for Lime water. Why dont we (in america) say Lime water? Why dont we buy lime water mix or reactors? Go ask someone for a glass of wasser and see what happens! I thought that was pretty funny!
Old 08/25/2007, 08:17 AM
Premium Member

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1192455
Old 08/25/2007, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

... taking poor to downright neglectful quality care of fish and insisting that you're giving them the best care possible because you love them or because they look like they're doing fine. Grr.... that just irks the absolute daylights out of me.

Like, my personal favorite thing to hate in regards to this...

Poor feeding (underfeeding, overfeeding, feeding poor quality foods, feeding the wrong type of food to a fish) and insisting it must be good! Bah! Bad nutrition bothers me to no end!

... oh, oh, and who can resist hating the ever popular keeping of an animal in far too small of a tank for wholely pathetic reasons?

1.) I plan to get a bigger tank (which, 9 times out of 10, never happens)

2.) It'll grow to the size of the tank! (don't get me started on this stupid urban legend. If I EVER find out who started this mythos of aquarium keeping, I will kick him squarely in the shin as hard as I can!)

3.) *fill in the blank*

.... sorry.... I'm feeling mighty petty today.
Old 08/25/2007, 09:48 AM
Registered Member

Hulley,
is that like a bubbler in Milwaukee, instead of a water fountain
Bob
Old 08/25/2007, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

Kathainboman,
ease up!
Bob
Old 08/25/2007, 10:05 AM
Registered Member

I gotta agree with kathainbowen on the tank thing. It seems that every person who posts to show off his crosshatch trigger,vlamingi tang, bumblebee grouper ,or whatever monster fish they bought always ends the post with "...I'm buying a 210/320/ above ground swimming pool to put him next year.."

Meanwhile the fish is shoe horned into a freakin' 29 gallon tank until the poster wins the lottery or trades it in for being too big or aggressive,etc. On come, stick with what would actually fit in your tank.

-avp
Old 08/25/2007, 10:08 AM
My reef is my fix :-D

OK, two made me laught out loud....

Quote:
Originally posted by rleechb

Quote:
Originally posted by avp
Ithe fish is shoe horned into a freakin' 29 gallon tank ...

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 08/25/2007, 10:14 AM
Registered Member

Ya I know that fish grow no matter what there size tank they are in, but hell my 2 Tangs in a year have not grown more then an inch, Purple and Sailfin, so give some of those people a little slack! I know they are swimmers and need a longer tank, but let them learn and upgrade. I wish I bought a 180, after seening my friends.
Bob
Old 08/25/2007, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rbursek
Hulley,
is that like a bubbler in Milwaukee, instead of a water fountain
Bob
I guess, I've never been to Milwaukee! or even Germany for that matter!
Old 08/25/2007, 11:59 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rbursek
Ya I know that fish grow no matter what there size tank they are in, but hell my 2 Tangs in a year have not grown more then an inch, Purple and Sailfin, so give some of those people a little slack! I know they are swimmers and need a longer tank, but let them learn and upgrade. I wish I bought a 180, after seening my friends.
Bob
I refuse.

I'm sorry, but I'm a big believer in responsible pet ownership, whether it be for something like a prized thoroughbred down to a simple goldfish. People so often see fish as almost disposable pets, since they don't cost that much, they can't really complain too much, and there isn't really a ton of laws concerning the health and well-being of captive fish pets like dogs, cats, and larger animals. It's just a sad situation that, if no one attempts to curb by encouraging better care and concern from owners, will just persist due to the continued introduction of such falsehoods and myths. This is one of my biggest pet peeves after seeing just how little concern some people have for their pets, despite claiming to love and care for them.
Old 08/25/2007, 01:32 PM

Threadstarter: Thank you for starting this thread. I can now say what I've always wanted to say without starting a new thread. Here we go:

#3. People who say "My gold striped Maroon is hosting a BTA!!" Since when did GSM's, or Anemonefish in general start hosting Anemones? Fish DO host parasites, but never an anemone.

#2. Bad spelling and grammar. English is my third language, but I firmly believe that it IS the speaker's responsibility to make sure he is understood. I always try to make it really easy for the reader to read my posts.

#1. The Tang Mentality. Say you have a Large Emperor Angel in a 55 gallon display, chances are you will not get hassled about it, despite the fact that they also require large displays just like a Surgeonfish. If you have a Tang in anything lesser than a 75, you will get ran down to the ground - and this is the part that really irks me: The part where people who just want to feel better about themselves, who have absolutely NOTHING constructive to contribute in a thread, posts a one-liner reply and tells you that you are making your fish suffer and you are to blame. This is a common behavior that is not only prevalent to this hobby but also in real life - on the road and in the office. Instead of offering useful and friendly advice, they come down on you hard, which is unnecessary IMO.
Old 08/25/2007, 03:40 PM
Premium Member

xtm - You're welcome! I started the thread because I felt like saying a few things that were on my mind, and I figured if I had peeves, some of you guys did too

Interesting, when I first joined RC and saw people talking about clowns hosting anemones or other objects, it felt funny to me because to me it was backwards - like you said above, it's the host that hosts something, not the other way around. If you say 'Jim is hosting the party', I expect that the party is taking place at Jim's place and he'll be looking after people's coats, drinks, and the hors d'oeuvres! I kept seeing posts where clowns hosted things, and assumed that in the reef world this was just the accepted use of the word. Now I'm guilty of using the term backwards as well! I think I'll stop and go back to English as I know it, but guys, this is an uphill battle - 10,000 people using a word one way, and just a few using it another, don't expect it to change overnight
Old 08/25/2007, 05:40 PM
Slightly Obsessed

Quote:
Originally posted by rleechb

Haaa! I love love LOVE this one. So true.
Old 08/25/2007, 06:18 PM
I hate line 42!!!!!!!

I got another one.

I hate when people ask you to pay the extra 3% for paypal fee's when buying items in the selling forums. Ive sold things before and never asked that of people. Why make them pay for fee's that get charged to your account.

Yeah the clown hosting anemones always bugged me too.
Old 08/25/2007, 06:52 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ryansholl
Not so much. May I direct you to #3?

Well, I said it was pedantic, right? The fact is that the word has been misused to mean something like "obliterate" so often that its original meaning has been lost. I know I should let it go, but that's the nature of a pet peeve, isn't it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimat...8Roman_Army%29
Old 08/25/2007, 06:55 PM
hamster

Hey, here's one that made me bite my tongue hard just a couple weeks ago:

1) Posting pictures of beautiful, expensive fish that are now dead due to bad husbandry.

2) Almost unreadable grammar/spelling/punctuation.

3) "Experience: 30 years" and not having a ****ing clue about anything!

All three of these came from a single post not too long back.
Old 08/25/2007, 07:02 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

Quote:
Originally posted by rssjsb
Well, I said it was pedantic, right? The fact is that the word has been misused to mean something like "obliterate" so often that its original meaning has been lost. I know I should let it go, but that's the nature of a pet peeve, isn't it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimat...8Roman_Army%29
Honestly, I didn't know the first two definitions either

Strange that the third definition implies such a greater number then the 10% of the first two...

Who knew all this time mandarins will only eat 10% of your pod population

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 08/26/2007, 12:31 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sfilingeri
Ok I'm probably going to get it for this but.........

How an extra foot of a tank WILL make that Tang sooooooo much more happier. So instead of a 4 foot jail cell he gets a 6 foot jail cell.

Yeah im sure he's living it up.....
this one made me laugh
Old 08/26/2007, 12:43 AM
Registered Member

People who claim that the extra 2' length of a 6' tank "won't make a difference to my fish." Are you serious? A tank that's half again as long won't make a difference? I'd sure notice if my house was 50% bigger!