Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/20/2007, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

Help with Alveopora

My alveopora was thriving. I got it June 3rd. I was doing phyto pheast but I ran out. So it went without food for a week but now I have Dt's. I picked it up because today it was about a third of it's normal size. And then I saw an area about the size of a quarter bleached. It still had the little flowers a little but they were white. Should I moved him out of my PC's and put him in my Red Sea MAX tank? It has 2 clowns, a ric, and some zoanthids. I have not tested latley. Should I put him in there? I also vonluteer at Shark'y reef and could put him under the MH's there but that's tomorrow. Help!
Old 08/20/2007, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

The alveopora in my father's tank is kept under PCs. It's on a flat rock about 18" from the light. Light to moderate flow. Just enough to blow the flowers around. Nothing harsh.

He rarely target feeds it, and when he does, it's usually a mix of cyclopeeze, DTs, and some ground up brine. He does dose DTs, twice a week, usually.

Other than that he doesn't touch it. There were some flatworms on it about 2 weeks ago, and I did a FW/RO did with great success. They all jumped of within 45 secs. Then put it back in the tank. It took 2-3 days for it to fully expand again but it is back to it's old self and better.

His water params aren't great either, or atleast what everyone else here says aren't great, but it's thriving..
Old 08/20/2007, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

Do you think he would do better with spot feeding in my new RSM or under the MH's, or in my Biocube w/ spotfeedings? I don't want to lose him, and I am supposed to pick up 2 more from nutto today.

Oh, what to do.
Old 08/22/2007, 10:25 PM
Registered Member

I think the MHs would be too much for it..
What lighting is on the RSM & BC ?

Spot feeding it should help it. If you have some, try some Selcon too.

I would try putting it in the RSM. What do you have in the Biocube right now?
Old 08/23/2007, 07:30 AM
Registered Member

Hey there, I have a colony of those flourescent green alveopora on the bottom of my 90 gallon tank. 2 250 W MH and 4 t5 actinic bulbs. off to the side with mod flow, Vortec wavemaker and tunze 6045 on the other end. I feed cyclopeeze every other day, never spot feed. Doing really well, have had it for 8 months now. They can survive well under MH and with mod flow. Just find a spot for him, then leave it alone for a few days, as I have found that under stress they don't open up for a few days. Hope this helps.
Old 08/23/2007, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

Alveopora's can get light bleached very easily. They need to be acclimated s l o w l y to bright light. PC's should be fine. I personally wouldn't take one from PC to MH in the hopes it will stop bleaching - it will likely do the opposite. jmo.