Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/22/2007, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

I only have a small frag of frog spawn and my clown hosted it some. I know of many people who have clowns that host their frog spawn and have no problems, my frag was from someone's frogspawn that was thriving and was hosted by a clown.. If chirocato's clowns were hurting his coral despite whether or not the clowns were in the picture the coral would have been noticeably damaged. Surf through the sites and you can see a damaged BTA and even with no clown in the picture you will know it is damaged lol. On another post in this forum someone was posting pics of the eggs laid by their clowns and they too hosted in frogspawn and everyone cheered them on about their success. Good luck making your decision on what you want to do Also, I love the tank of the month because it just shows success can come in different ways, he doesn't even do water changes This just shows we may not know as much as we think on somethings
Old 05/23/2007, 12:51 AM
Premium Member

Well this went downhill quickly. The simple truth is that there are a lot of opinions on this board. Consider them all with a grain of salt. There are many ways to make a successful reef.

Anyway... People do have their clowns host alternate hosts with success. Inspite of what people have said on this board. LPS corals can adjust to clowns, and sometimes they don't. Follow a couple simple rules:

#1. Watch your tank. if a particular fish/coral is bothering it's tank mates, separate them. If you are unable to separate them remove the one you dislike the least and find a good home for the other.

#2. Research your species for compatibility. In this specific instance it's ALL conjecture. (One person saying never do it, one proving it works). Take your own opinion.

#3. Don't take this hobby or advice to seriously, if you do, give up and take a break from this board.
Old 05/23/2007, 02:24 AM
Slowly Stocking

I think it's important to take the hobby seriously...the lives of the creatures we keep is too important not to take it seriously, but we should certainly try to avoid getting up in arms about it.

Check the red house.
Old 05/23/2007, 06:45 AM
always hungry

Quote:
Originally posted by elegance coral
Please don't allow your clowns to use your coral as a host. This is very bad for the coral.
So. In the future when newbies have questions like this instead of giving advice like I did above we should say what?
Many people have had thier clowns kill thier coral like this, but go ahead and do it anyway.
This does not sound like the responsible thing to do if you ask me.
Old 05/23/2007, 07:03 AM
always hungry

I believe I have made my point in this thread. It doesn't seem to matter how many people chime in and say my clown killed my coral. People will continue to do this. Sadly, no matter what I say here I will not be able to change this fact. I am moving on to more productave issues. Good luck to all with your corals.
Old 05/23/2007, 11:49 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
I think it's important to take the hobby seriously...the lives of the creatures we keep is too important not to take it seriously, but we should certainly try to avoid getting up in arms about it.
The intent of what I said was:

If you get upset or annoyed at what is being said here, it's probably time to take a step back. If you can't keep an open mind about something you think is wrong or didn't work for you, you are in the wrong hobby. I never said not to take as excellent care as you can for your fish or corals. I said don't take it so seriously that you you have an emotion laden response. But I agree with your very last statement about taking arms.

Quote:
So. In the future when newbies have questions like this instead of giving advice like I did above we should say what?
You are presenting something as a cold fact. I.E. Never put ammonia into the tank to clean it. This subject is hardly definitive and has a lot of subjective views in it. Just because a few vocal people have had this happen doesn't mean it's fact. As pointed in this very thread it can and does work out, it's also been written in several respected books. However I won't defend others work. I am saying simply there are other successful views on this subject.

There is no hard evidence that it is totally bad, yes, there have been many incidences where it doesn't work. However there have also been many incidences where it does. Observation of your reef is key to good success, as I have stated before.

Quote:
Sadly, no matter what I say here I will not be able to change this fact.
See above on "facts".

On a personal note to all here, I have no issue with you or your points for and against on this subject. I will say dogged belief in only one way for a successful tank without bonofide proof is dangerous and just as irresponsible as not giving advice to people who need it. Present both sides of the story and let the person asking make their own mind. However just as you said, no matter how often I say THAT people will do as they will.
Old 05/23/2007, 07:56 PM
always hungry

I presented this as cold hard fact because it is. This is not a theory or my opinion. This is fact. Clown fish can and do kill coral. Even the moderator here in this thread explained how his coral was killed by his clown. This is not a few vocal people stating this. This has been going on sense people have been keeping clowns and corals.
This part is my opinion. Knowing the above is true, I believe it is wrong to allow your clowns to use your coral as a host and wait for it to become ill before you do anything about it. We should do everything we can to keep our corals from becoming ill in the first place. I have already mentioned that we often don't know our coral is ill untill it becomes life threatening.
I added a little damsel to my tank to feed my Lion fish. They ended up living in the same tank together for about 6 months. Should I begin giving newbies advice that its okay to add small fish in with thier lion fish because it worked out that way in my tank? I would hope not. Lion fish can kill small fish even if it didn't happen in my tank. Clown fish can and do kill corals. Even if it didn't happen in your tank or mine.

Last edited by elegance coral; 05/23/2007 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05/23/2007, 10:04 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I presented this as cold hard fact because it is. This is not a theory or my opinion. This is fact.
And this is also an opinion. But I am done, if you want to brow beat your opinion, feel free, I will avoid you.
Old 05/23/2007, 11:53 PM
Slowly Stocking

Odds your coral will get killed are nonzero, but it's also not a sure thing.

My advice (reasonable, allows the aquarist to give it a try, but includes the big idea from both sides):

This CAN kill your coral, so keep a close eye on things and watch for any signs of damage to the coral so that you can separate them if need be.

Check the red house.
Old 05/25/2007, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

Wow this was one of the most violant threads I have read on RC. Everyone has an oppinion. My LfS one of he guys thinks that t5's are junk! He swears by Mh's. But the other employee set up a sps tank with t5's only and it is poping. Its all opinion I had triggers in my reef, never hurt a thing. Bottom line Clown fish are nuts! They will host anything even overflows so it is what it is!!
Old 05/26/2007, 02:16 AM
Registered Member

I tried an experiment on this forum recently. In the classifieds I stressed the rules about making comments that are against the rules. Such as; that's too expensive or you can get that cheaper somewhere else, etc.

On a previous day I was chided by a mod for asking if someone would lower the price a little as I was interested. The author of the thread shoved the RC rules down my throat and I got in trouble for essentially nothing. So, in every thread I found where people were breaking the rules, I called them on it and reported them. These people - some long time members - got quite upset and told me to chill out and loosen up, etc. The forum can be very "two-faced" at times.

Old 05/26/2007, 09:18 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by elegance coral

I think one of the problems here is that we don't truely know how our corals are feeling.
Hilarious quote....

My Frogspawn seems to feel pretty good, when my clown cuddles with him.
Old 06/09/2007, 06:11 PM
Enjoying every minute.

Ohh, there are those lil' clowns.

Old 06/09/2007, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bgiles11
They will host anything even overflows so it is what it is!!
and thank god that they will ;^)

i recently had to remove ocs from a 240 rock laden reef...the only way it was possible was because the little finned idiots thought that huddling close to the corner overflow at night was 'hosting'.

as to the topic of the thread...i'm sure there's an 'INTERNETS. SERIOUS BUSINESS' image macro that could solve everybody's problems.
Old 06/10/2007, 10:15 AM
clownfish fan

t5s are great

lol
Old 08/10/2007, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

Nice hammer!
I just picked up some False percs. and one as started to host my torch the torch responds kinda negatively, i am keep an eye on him just to make sure nothing happens if something goes wrong i am going to try and move the torch to confuse the clowns, they are pretty stupid, my other clown is hosting a trumpet coral!
Old 08/10/2007, 08:31 PM
Clownfish Crazy

I am not going to contribute to the above bickering... just give you a few examples as to what has happened in my tanks in the past...

My very first tank had a pair of false perculas. They hosted a heater, then powerhead, heater, intake to filter, skimmer pump, torch, hammer, frogspawn, candycanes, and finally hairy mushrooms in that order. Obviously, lol, the equipment did not mind at all They nearly killed the torch, then when they moved into the hammer that was VERY large, it nearly killed them. Nothing else was ever really bothered by them although, I am NOT saying it wouldn't be as they were only in that tank for six months.

My next pair, which are my B&W's pictured in this forum, have nearly killed any and all coral they came into contact with. I had a full blown acropora reef and even though my lone RBTA was in the tank, the male (when pushed out of the nem) would host everything else. At feeding times, the female would brutally rub everything near her. She broke several prize acro's that were getting to be over 8 inches wide. I even had a heck of a time fragging those things, lol!

Now that they are maturing and showing spawning behaviours, they are even beating up the nem which is easily ten times the females size.

I have had success over a year with certain clowns and definite failers with other's housed with corals. Since my clowns have matured quite a bit, they are now housed in one of my breeding setups with no coral, only the RBTA.

If it has worked for you, that is AWESOME!

As everyone else said, keep a close eye on whatever they host no matter if it is an anemone, LPS, SPS, or softie. No matter what species of clown, they all get very rough especially with age and spawning.
Old 08/10/2007, 08:47 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Corals might or might not tolerate Clownfish living amongst them... period.

Quote:
Originally posted by FishboyBT
I just got a forgspanw and was wondering how to get them to use it as a host.

Also I have had a pair of Ocelleris Clown who have been together scince they were very small. I moved them to my tank from downstairs in hoping the would spawn. That was in February. The female used to get fat with eggs but then reabsorb them.
How can I encourage them to spawn?
Introduce the coral and fish to one another in the same aquarium- the fish will do the rest.
It might not be a match made in heaven.
To get your fish to lay eggs, target feed them with good foods.
I use HUFA enriched mysids and Vibragro along with a rotation of other nutritious things. Good luck.

Last edited by Gary Majchrzak; 08/10/2007 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08/10/2007, 08:53 PM
Clownfish Crazy

or anemones...
Old 08/11/2007, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

Hey, Gary, that is a NICE clownfish/frogspawn pic! Did you take it yourself? I'm going to use it as my desktop wallpaper
Old 08/11/2007, 03:05 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamie1210
Hey, Gary, that is a NICE clownfish/frogspawn pic! Did you take it yourself? I'm going to use it as my desktop wallpaper
it's my pic and you got my blessings
Old 08/11/2007, 10:13 PM
Premium Member

if the coral is too small it can get beat up, but if its really big, usually the clowns wont upset it