Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/10/2007, 08:32 AM
This is my Passion

How Does Your Scott's Act?

I added a really nice Scott's male a couple months ago. He just does not seem happy in my tank. He either lays at the bottom left front corner, or hides in the rocks with just his nose peeking out. There are no other fish even close to his size. The only fish that gave him any trouble was my female oscellaris when I first put him in. She leaves him alone now, but he might be skiddish because of her? Just wondering if yours swims around alot..or? Maybe my tank is just not the right size for this fish's swimming habits? 90 gal..
Old 08/10/2007, 12:45 PM
Premium Member

I would think your tank is big enough but possibly he is stressed. It is not usual for a fairy wrasse to hide like that. You are sure he is healthy right? You could see if the clown is causing stress by removing her and seeing how he acts if that is an option, ( in your sump for a few days)
I just know that is atypical behavior for a healthy non stressed Fairy and you tank is big enough for him.
Old 08/10/2007, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

I have a male scott's that swim around as much as he can. He is the brut of the tank, he flashes & chases all the other fish. He is a beautiful fish just a mean one.
Old 08/10/2007, 01:10 PM
Premium Member

Do you have a six line wrasse? If so, that is likely the problem.

~Steve~
Old 08/10/2007, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by snorvich
Do you have a six line wrasse? If so, that is likely the problem.
I do but they are never near each other. He goes after the other wrasses though. The people I have taked to say that the scott's is the most territorial once he is comfortable w/his surroundings.
I have had him for 2 years so he is the boss of the tank. He is also the most jumpy, he is always jumping out of the water. I have had to save him 2 times when I had the canopy up.
Old 08/10/2007, 03:31 PM
Premium Member

I think the just of it to the original poster is that unless stressed for some reason or ill Fairy Wrasses are active fish. You do have some type of problem there.
Old 08/10/2007, 04:13 PM
This is my Passion

Yes, he's jumpy too. He has jumped into the canopy several times. I have to wait to feed until the halides go off and just the actinics are on, for fear he will burn himself on them. He starts darting around the tank like crazy at feeding time, but if I hold the food he will take it from me. No wrasses, and no fish bothering him as I said, except when I first put him in like a couple days maybe...just the clown. I hate having a fish that does'nt seem happy, maybe he just would do better in a larger system. He did swim around some in the beginning, but now he does'nt. Thanks for all of your replies.
Old 08/10/2007, 06:22 PM
Premium Member

I am curious about one thing. What bulbs do have in your halides. It maybe possible if you have 10k he may not like the light. However I still cannot get over him not coming out to eat. You could try a 20ks. I had a solar wrasse who was much happier under 20k's than 10k's. I still say also to try and remove the clown for a few days in your sump if you can and see how he acts. That would tell you if she is stressing him out, He as the sole Fairy Wrasse in there does not need a bigger tank. I would ask how many fish and what fish you have in your tank though.
Old 08/11/2007, 06:55 AM
This is my Passion

10 K's, and no I'm not switching. I'll take him out if this keeps up & find him a more suitable home. Thanks again.
Here he is..

These are when I first got him.

Old 08/11/2007, 07:59 AM
Premium Member

He is a beautiful fish. Good luck with him whatever you decide. Nice tank also but I did notice the solar was more active with 20k or pc lighting. I think he should adapt and even the Solar came out to eat enthusiastically. Like I said good luck with him.
Old 08/11/2007, 08:41 AM
This is my Passion

Thank you for the compliment. And for the record, he always eats, he's a pig really. He may be more intimidated by my clown than I think, or perhaps you are right about the lighting. The only other thing I can think right off that could be wrong is this.. The midas blenny in the pics died about a month or so ago. No matter how much she ate, she kept getting thinner. I suspected a parasite or disease, so when she passed I placed her in fw to see if she had flukes or something. I left the room for awhile, and when I returned there were 2 long thin worms in the cup. He seems perfect healthwise, just skiddish. And let's not forget all fish are different.
His tankmates are the Oscellaris, 2 watchman gobies, a helfrichi firefish, an african bluestripe pipefish, a priolepis nocturna, a neon goby, a female red scooter dragonet, and a fridmani.
Old 08/11/2007, 08:55 AM
Premium Member

You have a very beautiful tank. It's really weird that your scotts just lays around. I have a male and female and both are very active all the time. Maybe you might consider buying a female.
Old 08/11/2007, 09:03 AM
This is my Passion

I did think right off of adding a female to avoid his color loss.{he has dulled some, except when he's excited} But then it seems I have quite a few fish, although most are cave dwellers and they are all relatively small. None swim the mid column, with exception to the helfrichi and occasionally the female clown will pass through.{she keeps her mate busy with eggs most of the time} Think I could squeeze one in? And thanks also for the compliment.
Old 08/11/2007, 09:06 AM
This is my Passion

here's the helfrichi...just to show him off..
Old 08/11/2007, 09:06 AM
Premium Member

Well, I may be the wrong person to ask that, I'm a little biased when it comes to fish, I have 18 wrasses in my tank and 31 total.
I'm sure you could squeeze 1 more in. lol
Old 08/11/2007, 09:09 AM
This is my Passion

Heheh...take over this thread and post some pretty pictures of them..please!
Old 08/11/2007, 09:21 AM
Premium Member

I don't want to take it over, but here is 2 pics.