Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/25/2007, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

but this isnt a 30g its a 65g. a longer tank=less stress for a tang so to speak, but im not a tang so who knows

whos to say whats wrong or right? your going by human emotion, and thinking its cruel to put certain fish in smaller tanks.
if its so cruel dont keep any fish at all.
if emotions are to play then heck i wouldnt want to be kept in my house all my life no matter how big my house is. home aquariums are prisons, they are for our own selfish pleasure.

point is, if it aint broke dont fix it!

you'll make this guy do all sorts of things to his tank to try and get it to be the "norm" and just like yours because you think its right, and what will happen? he will do more harm than good by stressing them to death with change, change that forums enforce.
its different if he came here with advice, but he didnt.

oh and tangs dead in pristine tanks...well yeah, just search this site. theres tons of posts with people who have the best of care tanks and they crash after 2 years! the forums are filled with them.
then ya get one guy with a filthy tank and its 13 years old lol
doesnt that kinda say something to ya?

Last edited by Beemo; 07/25/2007 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07/25/2007, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

I don't think he ever said the tangs were 13 years old, he said the tank has been running for 13 years. He could have gotten the tangs 3 months ago for all we know. The only relation he has used with time is newest addition, fairly new, etc. Everyone has their own opinion of what is "new" and just because he hasn't said the fish are new additions doesn't mean we can assume he's had the tangs since the inception of the tank itself. Maybe he has had several tangs that have died and these ones are just the 8th replacement.
Old 07/25/2007, 10:32 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkie
I don't think he ever said the tangs were 13 years old, he said the tank has been running for 13 years. He could have gotten the tangs 3 months ago for all we know. The only relation he has used with time is newest addition, fairly new, etc. Everyone has their own opinion of what is "new" and just because he hasn't said the fish are new additions doesn't mean we can assume he's had the tangs since the inception of the tank itself. Maybe he has had several tangs that have died and these ones are just the 8th replacement.
exactly, that is why i asked him if he had the tangs for 13 yrs, didnt get a response yet on that one
Old 07/25/2007, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, my guess is there is they don't have great survival rates in their tank. I hope I'm wrong because if that boxfish dies they'll be losing a lot more than just that fish.
Old 07/25/2007, 01:52 PM
Moved On

If he can have Heathy looking Fish in his Tank and it Works great,not every bodys way is right or best for everyone else.I myself have my Tanks stuffed to the gills with Fish.I also have have alot of Live rock in them and I do good Water changes.And I have Fish mixed together that many of a Genius on this site will say you cant have together.I dont do the Herd thing that everyone else does so this Guy should do what works for Him.
Old 07/25/2007, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by snapper1
If he can have Heathy looking Fish in his Tank and it Works great,not every bodys way is right or best for everyone else.I myself have my Tanks stuffed to the gills with Fish.I also have have alot of Live rock in them and I do good Water changes.And I have Fish mixed together that many of a Genius on this site will say you cant have together.I dont do the Herd thing that everyone else does so this Guy should do what works for Him.
hehe yep

its easy to get attacked on forums, its like their missionaries for PETA or something
thats why im careful when i list my stocking (yeah i'll lie) or i wont show certain pictures
everyones tank is their own buisness, unfortunetely when we talk about it on forums it becomes the worlds concern
Old 07/25/2007, 03:59 PM
Registered Member

Sorry I haven't been on RC lately.

The hippo has been in there for about 8 years, and the purple for about 4-5 years.

My dad is pretty set in his ways. He is totally convinced that corals are impossible to keep for more that a few months.
Back in the day he used to have a reef tank. He adds the water from the jugs. I finally showed him this forum and now he is convinced he has to buffer his water.We have an aquarium matanience guy.

And the tank usually is not that bad. We just got new bulbs and sunlight pours into that room all day.

Boxfish won't eat. I work part time at the Lfs and watched him eat there. But not much. Back to the LFS for him....
We haven't had a death in a while, the last one i can remember was in february or january when a hawaiian spotted puffer that my dad got from petco died.
More pics-
Old 07/25/2007, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

Ammonia-0
Nitrite-.25ppm
Old 07/25/2007, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

8 years good for you

Old 07/25/2007, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

im not telling the OP's dad to change his ways or to upgrade. if he sticks to the tank he's got, then that's fine with me. i voiced my opinion and the OP and anyone else who bothers to read it can either take it or leave it. doesnt affect me one way or the other.

btw the analogy using the 30gal tank was to make a point. i did that because my intent wasn't to bash OP directly. it was a general statement.

when something is posted in a forum that open to the public, you have to be prepared to hear varied opinions whether you like em or not. like you said beemo, you're careful about what info you give about your tank and that's a choice you made. it's a trade off. the more info you give about your own tank, the more input you can potentially get about what you're doing right or wrong from people who are more experienced (i dont claim to be one of them). and when people post info, i assume they want input, so i contribute what i can.

fishy, any reason in particular why nitrites are at .25? past that, that's a nice full room shot.
Old 07/25/2007, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

justinl im sorry if it appeared my statement was directed at you, it wasnt

yeah why do you have .25 nitrite? maybe the test is off?
sometimes those colors are hard to read
if you had nitrite i think they'd be dead
Old 07/25/2007, 05:29 PM
Registered Member

yeah the test kit was hard to read. It was between 0 and .25. I went on the high side. I guess that was 0 too.
Old 07/25/2007, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

yeah im sure its zero
my ph test kit is the worst, i cant read it for nothin'
sometimes the color in the tube in no way matches whats on those colored cards
i know my ph is somewhere between 8 and 8.5 lol
Old 07/26/2007, 04:46 PM
Moved On

Way to many people spend to much Time attacking other people and not really giving good Advice.Peta people do seem to be angry Sad People on T.V. Beemo
Old 07/28/2007, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by snapper1
Way to many people spend to much Time attacking other people and not really giving good Advice.Peta people do seem to be angry Sad People on T.V. Beemo
yep very true
i mean i love animals dont get me wrong, but there is a big difference between a cat or a dog and a fish.
and i have cried over a fishes death before, those accidental deaths get me, like carpet surfing after having a fish for several years.
but over stocking isnt the worst thing that can happen. i mean whats next we get slapped with a cruelty to animals charge from keeping a tang in a 30 gallon???
if water quality is kept high and the fish are eating and acting completely normal then it shouldnt be any bodies concern.

before my 55g was a reef tank it was an over stocked cichlid tank. all the fish were alive and well, growing etc. they were fighting pretty bad though.
i went out and bought them a 220 gallon tank that in the end cost well over 2,000 bux.
did it change anything for the fish??? nope, they still fought no matter how much room they had and in the end i was left with one fish because they all killed each other off.

tangs in a small tank, triggers etc, yeah they need room to swim and they are active, but geez there gonna swim actively in any tank.
no i wouldnt put one of those fish in a 10 gallon of course not, but any 4 foot tank will suit them fine. they dont get as big as they do in the wild anyway

i had a 4-5" porc puffer in my 55g, and yeah i was told the same ole same ol' " you cant keep a puffer in a 55 blah blah"
but its funny because ive never seen a puffer bigger than 8" in any home aquarium regarldess of the size tank

so no i dont believe they grow over a foot in captivity
and where are the 20" trigger pictures?
lemonpeel angels get 6"...where? ive only seen them max out at 4"
there must be large mystery fish out there cuz i havent seen them on any forums...just all talk on how they "can" and "will" get that big
Old 07/29/2007, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

First off FishboyBT congradulate your dad for having a tank longer than most folks on this board have been in the hobby. Its always nice to see someone have success despite having a low tech tank. Having said this I think the tank is also maxed out.

For your boxfish try gutloaded brine shrimp. This might get the fish eating and atleast will buy you a little more time.
Old 07/30/2007, 04:40 PM
Moved On

I have noticed Beemo that there are way to many reef fish busy bodies,I never have liked unsolicted advice.I have noticed that sometimes when someone posts on this site.The reef police come out and Bash them for something in there Tank that they just dont like and then they go on a crusade.It does not matter if it is to small of a Tank or not the right Kind of Fish.It personally ticks me off to see elistists in a Fish Hobby,the people always going postal seem to be the people with the Hugh Tanks.Sometimes I wonder if they do their own Maintenance on their Tanks or they Hire someone to do it.Which in case I dont think they have a clue,I cant tell you how many times that I have had someone tell me that you cant have that Fish in there.Like there unwanted advice will just go make me change my ways.I think that alot of them are just control FREAKS and some think that they are Gods gift to the Reef my feelings.On the Good side most people here are decent done to earth people and just LOVE the Hobby and give good advice.If it is not broke people dont tell me how I should fix it or someone else how you think that your way is the right way to fix it.
Old 07/30/2007, 04:59 PM
Registered Member

and unfortunetely it doesnt end here, theres the same crap going on other pet forums as well. ive been bashed on the guinea pig forums, wildbird forums, oh and the best was the gardening forum lol. can you imagine people even try and tell you what to do with gardening?? its insane
omg last night i was watching this tv show called rock of love with bret michaels from poison, this girl on the show was a PETA freak and a total wacko!! she should have been a poster child for peta, she just represented the lunatic side of them so well.

when i was new to the reef forums i was advised to "blow off" my live rock. it did seem odd at the time but everyone was like yeah you gotta do it and we all do it blah blah...so like an idiot i did it. that was the worst mistake i ever made. my tank nearly crashed after that, i had a huge algae bloom after, not to mention the poor critters i blasted out of their rocks!
the tank was a year old and well established and stable...until i blew my rocks...ooo blew my rocks lol maybe that doesnt sound right
Old 07/31/2007, 02:42 PM
Moved On

Sorry to here that Beemo personally I dont take advice from people unless I ASK FOR ADVICE.And I only want advice from people who have actually raised that kind of Fish.Not the arm chair reefers who read a Book that said something different and they think they are the Albert Einstien of Reef Fishes.Man I love my Animals I have three Dogs and more then a half Dozen Fish Tanks.But those Peta people are absolute wack Jobs from Mars.It shows sometimes on this Forum and others who the peta Lunatics are.Man my Pets are part of the Family I feel the sorrow and loss when a Fish dies.But peta people seem to be total nut Jobs that need Medication and a nice padded cell.I dont mind good sound advice from people if I inquired for it not some self Righteous peta nut Job.I had a guy from the Clown fish section here once PM me to tell me what he thought of me and to let me know what he thought.Like I really gave a crap about what he thought about me or the Moon for that Matter.I say do it the way that works for you and enjoy your Fish Snapper1 out.