Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/05/2007, 09:52 PM
Premium Member

What corals are in your pipefish tank ?

I've heard not to have any stinging corals, as it can hurt these guys. I saw the TOTM has a pipe in it, along with pretty much any coral you can imagine.

I'm curious to hear what kinds of corals you all have in the tank with your pipes ?

Also, what pipes are best in reef tanks ?
Old 06/05/2007, 10:00 PM
Premium Member

I haven't heard that. I guess it depends on the species. I know some pipefish actually eat red bugs that invest some corals
Old 06/05/2007, 11:39 PM
Registered Member

Many people have been successful keeping pipefish with LPS and SPS, the same rules do not apply for seahorses. Also pipes seem to tolerate the higher temperatures better, assuming you get a tropical species.
HIS OPINIONS COURAGEOUSLY AND HONESTLY
Old 06/05/2007, 11:44 PM
Premium Member

Great ! Any pointers as to which would be a hardier reef-type species, with regard to higher temps ?
I really like those banded ones.

Last edited by shilo_1; 06/05/2007 at 11:57 PM.
Old 06/05/2007, 11:55 PM
Premium Member

I've usually found Liveaquaria.com to be fairly accurate with their descriptions of fish, etc. Here is what they say about pipes,
"...It will not harm ornamental invertebrates in a reef setting. DO NOT HOUSE it with invertebrates with stinging tentacles (most corals and anemones), because they can harm it... "
Old 06/06/2007, 12:30 AM
Registered Member

I never had good success with the banded varieties, could just be the ones my LFS gets in. I keep a Jannus in my mixed reef and he does well but only eats pods for the most part. I believe the blue lined pipes also do well in reef settings.

Yes stinging tentacles can harm pipes but they can also harm any other fish in the tank. It's just a little more detrimental if they accidentally brush up against it. IME pipes are smart about stinging corals or anemones, they came from the wild and see to know to avoid them.
Old 06/06/2007, 07:25 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for all the input.

Are all pipes pod eaters ?
Old 06/06/2007, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

I would say that most pipes make pods their primary diet, so make sure that there is plenty for them to eat. You may get lucky and be able to get pipes to eat prepared food but they have to compete with other fish they will likely not get very much.
Old 06/07/2007, 12:22 AM
Premium Member

I've got bluestripes (one of the easiest pipes) and a dragon-faced with mostly soft corals - zoas, leathers, sinularias and so on. I've also got some acans, though, and a small duncan. The bluestripes pretty much stay in the water column and away from the corals. I'm a little worried about the dragonface (who mostly stays on the bottom or in the nephthia) and the duncan, but no problems so far.

I think there are some pipefish with prehensile tails like seahorses that would be a risk with some corals, and I wouldn't keep any of them with an anemone.

As fishyfet said, I think the big challenge is getting them to eat prepared foods.
Old 06/07/2007, 12:33 AM
Premium Member

rssjsb, do you have any pics of the bluestripes ? I'm thinking about adding a pipe, but would like a more colorful one (pics of the dragon faced pipes that I've seen make them look rather drab.)

How long have you had your pipes ? Are they eating frozen foods ? I've also heard that more often than not, pipes will not ever eat frozen foods.

Thanks for the input !
Old 06/07/2007, 10:04 AM
Premium Member

No pics yet - I keep meaning to take some, but never get around to it. I've been keeping bluestripes for a little less than a year now. They eat cyclopeeze and Tiggerpods, but I don't feed that often, and mostly they graze pods.

I've got a pair in a 20 gallon tank and a lone female in another with a DIY HOB refugium, and they're usually fat without adding any food to the tank. IME it doesn't take much to keep them fat and happy. I think the males are a little more fragile than the females.

I just got the dragonface pipe (three weeks ago). I bought 2, but one died shortly after I got him (like 10 minutes after being introduced to the tank.) The suvivor hasn't taken frozen yet. I'm still hoping he'll convert, since I can't affort live mysis forever! I think if you don't have a big enough tank to support these guys on pods, you probably shouldn't count on keeping one unless you've got an unlimited budget for live foods. Mine will eventually go into a very lightly stocked 40 gallon with an established fuge. Hopefully he'll be either eating frozen by then or will have enough pods to live on in that tank.
Old 06/07/2007, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

I also have a pair of bluestripes in my tank with multiple species of acropora, stylophora, and montipora with no problems. I think the only coral that might pose a threat if any would be an LPS species, hydnophora, or anenomes. Bluestripes seem to be the most adaptable to the reef, I think mainly due to their size and where they come from. Also, I might be able to offer some captive bred pipefish pretty soon. Good luck.
Old 06/07/2007, 09:57 PM
Premium Member

danfrith, that's awesome! is it your bluestripes? My male seems to have eggs constantly, but I've never seen so much as a single fry.