Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/07/2006, 11:30 PM

Mind boggling! Great pics and thanks. It's good to see examples of what I strive for. Those stags are sweet.
Old 04/07/2006, 11:53 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Nice pics Carman34L. I dont mean to be critical, but cropping your photos would improve them even more. I dont need to see the rips in your jeans, or the edge of the tank at the bottom when that resolution could be used for more eye-candy-corals (you and Borneman excluded).

For those of us who couldnt be there...I wonder...what did Borneman have to say?
Old 04/07/2006, 11:57 PM
Moved On

I didnt feel like cropping them, I usually do but I was holding my son and was kinda doing it one handed. I cant really speak for Eric, but the smile on his face should tell you something.
Old 04/08/2006, 12:28 AM
TRC Leader

Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

I saw a huge Dendronephthya?! I didn't see the Stingray, but may have missed it. Thanks for the images.
Old 04/08/2006, 01:27 AM
No Bonds in Oakland!!!!!!

i love the updates for this thread. Simply amazing!
Old 04/08/2006, 01:46 AM
Registered Member

That tank is absolutely disgusting! Is there such a disease as reefer envy?
Old 04/08/2006, 06:28 AM
On hobby time out!

Looks like the algae issues he was having a while back have considerably receided. Looks good.
Old 04/08/2006, 07:31 AM
Moved On

Yeah the Hair Algea is 100x better than it was a month ago, Spazz made him a huge media reactor and Energy has been running a ton of RowaPhos. It has cleaned up a ton of the hair algea, but has taken it toll on the coral. But I think it will be up to its beutifull colors in no time.
Old 04/08/2006, 07:51 AM
no time for spell check!

i agree that the tank is looking better and better every day. i asked eric what his first impression of the tank was. he said he was just blown away by the amount of fish and the different speices that are in the tank. he was amazed to see some of the fish in there that most people cant keep or wont keep. i think he was really impressed with the file fish. its a cow now. one of these days that fish will explode from the inside out. thats one of my favorite fish in that tank. it was neat to see the way he has trained the blue spot to protect its food source when he feeds him. i will post pics of energy feeding the sitng ray. he uses a tube and the sting ray lays on top of the end of the tube and gets everything that is fed to him. none of the other fish get any of that food. its neat to see. the minute he smells food he races the that side of the tank and is waiting for the tube to show up for his feeding time. smart fish! in a very short time this tank will be ready for tank of the month in my opinion. i know energy has plans for some equiptment changes. the first item is the skimmer.
Old 04/08/2006, 08:02 AM
Fiddles With Reef

More pics please.

That's one big tank and I've followed this thread from day one. I think the tank was setup last July or August? If so, that's an outstanding stocking frenzy that Energy has embarked upon. That only must be near 10 grand.

340g In-Wall Envision Tank and 150g Sump (fuge and grow-out).
Old 04/08/2006, 11:50 AM
TRC Leader

Is it being published in a magazine soon? I remember it being mentioned a few weeks ago, but don't remember the name of the publication.
Old 04/08/2006, 11:57 AM
Moved On

James Fatheree was talking about doing an article on the tank. It will be published in TFH. Not a word on if it is a for sure thing, or when. I am sure you will hear if it is a for sure thing, and when.

Last edited by Carman34L; 04/08/2006 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04/08/2006, 12:11 PM
TRC Leader

Thanks!
Old 04/11/2006, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

Anymore pics from the recent trip over to his house?

thanks

Nick
Old 04/11/2006, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

sorry doubble post.

Nick
Old 04/11/2006, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

That is an absolutely beautiful tank!
Old 04/12/2006, 12:02 AM
Registered Member

Hi, Guys and Gals- Nice Pics Carmen, Some day you'll have to teach me your secret.
In Mid March Spazz built a reverse flow reactor to run Rowaphos. Simply put that stuff is amazing. Within 3 weeks my out of control algae problem shrank to about 20% of it's full glory(trust me it was bad). The downfall was that the rapid removal of the phosphate hit some of the corals pretty hard. I learned to be careful with that stuff. After seeing how effective Rowaphos is it will be a permenant part of my tank set-up from now on. I'm looking forward to watching the color come back to some of my corals wich browned out from the high phosphate levels. Some day I would like to be Tank of the Month- That would be an immense honor. Until the tank colors up and gets to a point where I am somewhat satisfied I don't think it makes the grade. My other tanks had better color and polyp extension then this one (yet). When everything gets to an equilibrium than I would like to share it with the rest of the world.
Melev- That is a huge Dendronepthyia.
Old 04/12/2006, 12:10 AM

Energy,

I am using Rowaphos as part of my system startup, but just have it in a bag on the end of one of my overflow lines. can you post a pic of the reactor Scott built or is that proprietary? I am looking at building a reactor or two for calcium, carbon, and rowaphos in the near future. I might even buy one from him if it is cost effective. Rowaphos is really agood product but it ain't cheap!
Old 04/12/2006, 01:47 AM
Fiddles With Reef

What was your phosphate level when you started using Rowa?

Old 04/12/2006, 08:41 AM

zero.
Old 04/12/2006, 08:57 AM
Fiddles With Reef

I meant Energy...

Old 04/12/2006, 09:18 AM
Registered Member

Energy- Would you care to go into detail on how you got the stringray to feed from the tube?

thanks

Nick
Old 04/12/2006, 09:33 AM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
Energy,

I am using Rowaphos as part of my system startup, but just have it in a bag on the end of one of my overflow lines. can you post a pic of the reactor Scott built or is that proprietary? I am looking at building a reactor or two for calcium, carbon, and rowaphos in the near future. I might even buy one from him if it is cost effective. Rowaphos is really agood product but it ain't cheap!
the first reactor i built for the rowaphos was a flow through design. but they dont work as well as a prwered recirculating rowaphos reactor does. so his reactor will be modified to be recircualting. that will fluidize the media and keep it from clumping up and being less effective in his system. once we get a better version made i can post some pics of it .
Old 04/12/2006, 10:59 AM

Thanks Scott. I realize I am not getting optimal efficiency out of my Rowaphos but I figured having it in the system during startup would be helpful and it seems that has proven to be true. I look forward to seeing your reactor.
Old 04/29/2006, 02:04 AM
Registered Member

wow. It took me 2 days to reed everything here! Let me just say once again WOW. i have learned more in this one thread, then in most of the other threads i have ever read. energy that is one amazing tank. everytime i see the pictures a say to myself, i've been on dives with views like that, and then the ray floats by and I say yep, i've been on dives like that and i expect a loggerhead to float by next, or to see the tail of a nurse sticking out from one of your rock structures. simply amazing. the foam/epoxy trick will definaltly be a tool for my tanks to come. some one else was using the epoxy and sand to cread a faux sand bed the combo of these 2 techniques send visions of wonderful things to my head. thank you so much for the inspiration, although i'm not to sure my wife thanks you. you have indeed built a tank of incredible beauty and an ecosystem of unparalled complexity i look forward to watching as this tank progresses through it's life, and live vicariously through you till i myself can attempt such a feat.
thanks again energy and all who have help in documenting the birth of this world, and to get all this done while another life was brewing , you wife must be as crazy as you

congrats on the little reefer as well
superalatives aside, anychance we will soon see the picts of the assembling, especially the foam islands i am looking forward with baited breath to see these
thanks againg and enjoy
jon
Coral Beauty
Royal Gramma
Coral Cat (as in Catapiller Bulldozzer it moves soo much sand)