Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/12/2007, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

FOWLR Filtration Q 90g (Is wet dry really that bad?) Blue Face & Harlequin T Owners

Just bought a used 90 gallon Oceanic RR Ultimate to replace a 33g and 65g.

This is what I did...

5-6 inches live sand (all seasoned)

At least 200 lbs of cured live rock (rock from both my two older tanks and from the used 90g I just bought combined) All fiji.

Medium HOB Aquafuge (running 4" live sand and Chaeto with light). For those that have not seen this, it's a HOB refugium.

Sump running bio balls, that drips and feeds into roughly 10gallons of Chaeto. (no sand in refugium, bare bottom).

Eheim Professional II 2028 running live rock rubble only (I figured this is like live rock filtration).

Eheim Professional II 2026 running live rock rubble only.

Eheim Professional 2229 WetDry

Aqua C Remora HOB

The goal:
Would like to add one show fish, either, a juvi/medium Blue Face (6") or a large Australian Harlequin Tusk.

I am aware of the large tank needs of the Blue face and will be upgrading again in about two years. So I am focusing on a juvi Blue Face. Vivid Aquariums in Los Angeles has stated that I would be able to handle a juvi Angel in a 90 at 48" length, it would just be harder to seek the size requirement. I figure when the angel grows up, I will have my dream 225 ready. I know my LR is plenty, however, I'm looking for comments on whether my canister with live rock rubble, wetdry canister and bio balls will negatively affect my tank on the long term.

Existing Fish:
Other small inhabitants include an existing mated pair of maroons, 2 anthias, 1 coral beauty and a dragon wrasse. That's it.

The question: What would you change in the filtration?

Thanks,

Last edited by fantastic4; 11/12/2007 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11/12/2007, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

I don't believe that you will any problems with that set up. The most imortant thing is the flow. You might want a skimmer if you don't already have one.
Old 11/12/2007, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

get another aqua C remora my 90 has pretty much the same setup yours does if you have room in your sump get a urchin if you want looks (urchin is remora but in sump version) great skimmers but just one of them isnt enough filtration IMO