Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 12/18/2007, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

Thumbs up Luke's new Euro-Reef thread

Hello all,
I, who deeply regret my uninspired and uninspiring user name, shall be acquiring a brand new Euro-Reef RS-100 for Christmas and wish to share with you my adventures in skimmate production. I simply can not wait to start this thread and would like to acquire all information about the beautiful piece of engineering that the skimmer is. I welcome all who wish to share bits about the Euro-Reef brand, skimmer debates (non-violent in nature), modifications, suggestions, past experiences and anything you wish. My current skimmer is a modded out Coralife 65 that barely pulls anything out, no matter what the conditions are. Mind you I do have an overflow. I certainly wish that my fish could experience the Euro-Reef induced rapture that I am feeling as I type. Although, I am sure my Thalassoma bifasciatum will eventually see its glory on his frequent adventures into the plumbing and beyond. Do tag along without announcing it, if you know what I mean.

Not to mention, If somebody could tell me how to insert pictures , do tell so that I may share.

Luke P Patmore
Old 12/18/2007, 09:40 PM
High Plains Drifter

Is this for your 50 gallon? I would recommend the RS-80 if thats the case.

Also, to insert an image:

Go to the IMG icon when you are on the reply or post page. Paste the link there, and it will link the image for you.

Jim
Old 12/18/2007, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, this is for my 55, are you one who believes in overskimming? I also have a 30 gallon sump, adding to the system volume.
Old 12/18/2007, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

i have a 90 gal and just bought a RS 100 a week ago and i love it!! This was my first sw tank and last year when i started it i went with a low end skimmer, wow what a difference my ER made!!! It took a couple of days to dial it in , but now it is pulling out 3x's what my old skimmer was doing... I know there are many brands of skimmers, but for me i learned that in this hobby skimmers is not one of the things to cut corners on.......
Old 12/18/2007, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

heres the coralife
Old 12/19/2007, 06:30 AM
Registered Member

As you can see from the photo, the Coralife is modded and certain parts are no longer recognizable. Has anybody done a reric mod on an ER?
Old 12/19/2007, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

There was a delivery exception and it should be delivered on Thursday.
Old 12/20/2007, 12:06 AM
Registered Member

I have an old CS6-1 on my prop system; same dimensions as the current RS100. My skimmer really started to skim when I swapped the stock 3500 Sedra for a 5000. Also added the gate valve, as it had the original telescoping output that was a pain to adjust. I always thought that the pump was too small, and noticed a huge change in efficiency after upgrading. Kinda sucks that it didn't come with a great pump to start with, but I'm very happy with it now. If you can get ahold of a Sedra 5000, try it out; you won't be disappointed. Also have a RC 135 on my display tank, and am very happy with it. Enjoy your new skimmer.
Old 12/20/2007, 02:06 AM
Registered Member

I have both an RS100 and an RS80. I can't believe how much better my RS80 is working on my tank than the 100 ever did. I would get the RS80 for your 55. I have a 40 with a 20 sump.
Old 12/20/2007, 04:11 AM
Huge Member

I would stick with your plan of getting the RS-100 since you have 85 Gallons potential, and the RS-100 is rated to 80G heavily stocked, which, if you're like the rest of us, your tank is definitely heavily stocked.

Go with the Mesh Mod (search talkingreef's site for a vid), and that should do it. The new output is just as good as a gate valve mod, so you won't need to bother with that. Otherwise, have fun!

Personally, I'd skip the recirc until you see how you like this one (and you will)

Post pics when its in! (smaller ones than the above though)

See, that's the trouble with the world today. Not enough danger to kill off stupid people before they get old enough to breed. Bring back lawn darts! -PrivateJoker64
Old 12/20/2007, 08:08 PM
Registered Member

Got the skimmer today. I will be firing it up Christmas day after I get the system ready. I might as well not have a skimmer but just a needle wheel tank-oxygenator the Coralife is so finicky to keep in adjustment and I am sick of Rios. How fast have your Euros broken in?
Old 12/20/2007, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

corgi used for scale
Old 12/20/2007, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

After i figured out how to get it set up it took about 48 hours and it was churning out alot of nasty stuf........ It has been about a week and i can see a difference in my 90 gal. Very good investment for me..
Old 12/20/2007, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

rough shipper.
Old 12/20/2007, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

Yup: Fed-EX
Old 12/20/2007, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

Glad your skimmer is working well. dstall.
Old 12/21/2007, 06:55 AM
Registered Member

The daily "bumping" shall take place now. Amazingly, my water quality is still good even when running a CSS. I will be adding more fish soon, I only have three. I will pass my time keeping you posted on the system.

Params. are:

Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Total Alkilinity: 300
Ph: 8.4
Old 12/22/2007, 10:42 PM
Registered Member

In anticipation for the starting my my new Euro, I resurrected an old D&D typhoon from a galvanized steel trashcan at the bottom of my closed, buried in 50' of network cable conduit just to have some fun with it. I took the Needle-Wheel pump from my CSS and hooked it up to some vinyl tube to the input of the skimmer. The output empties onto a sheet of acrylic and back into my sump. I love using products the way they weren't intended. It started skimming in 30 minutes. I guess the Coralife was worse than I thought. I can't wait to set up the Euro!
Old 12/23/2007, 12:48 AM
Registered Member

My RS-135 on my 90g/29g sump setup works well, but if I had to do it over again I would have went with one of the smaller skimmers w/ 3500 pump. The skimmer's Sedra 5000 is the only audible part of my system.
Old 12/23/2007, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

What water level should I have the skimmer in? I think that I will go to Aquarium World tomorrow and get some premade seawater and get the sump up to where It needs to be. I feel like a real hard-core reefer getting a Euro! When I upgrade to a lightly stocked 100 gallon soon, with a Bluehead Wrasse, a Coral Beauty, Foxface, Powder Brown, and Regal Blue, I may run my "Freaky-Phoon" as I have affectionately dubbed my Frankenstein skimmer with It for good measure. If it stops skimming, I will put it back in the galvanized steel trash can and save it for a rainy day or if my Sedra Dies and I am waiting on a new one to ship or something.
Old 12/24/2007, 11:31 PM
Registered Member

You won't need anything besides the Euro....as for water depth, mine is in 8" of water and works well. It's on a homemade stand made of eggcrate, sitting in a 29g sump (18" high).