Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/18/2007, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

Opinions on Down Under Tropical Fish

What do you guys think about Down Under Tropical Fish? It's a little store in San Carlos. They don't seem to have much of a selection, even on their shipment days. Opinions?

David Letterman, Cabin Boy
Old 12/18/2007, 06:59 PM
Premium Member

Dan (the owner) does service during the week so sometimes *poof* he vanishes. That makes it difficult to buy fish there. I will say he's a nice guy, and does a decent job of getting healthy fish and maintaining them. I was at a tank today that I bought some fish for from him over a month ago, they all are thriving.

It's very mom and pop, small potatoes, but he's a heck of a lot nicer than the guy around the corner. Don't get me started on him.....
Old 12/19/2007, 10:30 AM
Registered Member

I know what you mean about the guy around the corner. A real piece of work.

David Letterman, Cabin Boy
Old 12/19/2007, 11:08 AM
Premium Member

The store "Around the Corner" believe it or not used to be the cutting edge fish store in the 80's when I used have an Oscar tank. When they started doing salt that place was crazy busy, then in the nintey's it was still one of the top stores with one of the nicest Reef Display tanks anywhere, after he sold it I can bearly stand to be in there the guy always bummed out and the store is falling apart, how does he afford the rent?
Old 12/19/2007, 12:13 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by corals b 4 bills
The store "Around the Corner" believe it or not used to be the cutting edge fish store in the 80's when I used have an Oscar tank. When they started doing salt that place was crazy busy, then in the nintey's it was still one of the top stores with one of the nicest Reef Display tanks anywhere, after he sold it I can bearly stand to be in there the guy always bummed out and the store is falling apart, how does he afford the rent?
Kyle was the man.

I hear the current owners wife makes $.
Old 12/19/2007, 05:17 PM
Member Registered

Kyle is a monk now. He had the best fish. He used to QT everything that came in. You could see the dates they came in on the tanks. It really is too bad they sold it. I guess San Mateo isn't very far so people that used to go there can make the drive.
Old 12/19/2007, 06:14 PM
Premium Member

Really? Kyle a monk? where did he go? I liked the guy, well I'm sure he's happy....I wonder if they let him keep a tank The mid-peninsula sucks for fish stores I would have to drive 30 + miles to get to a real store 40+ to Aquarium Concepts.
Old 12/19/2007, 09:42 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by corals b 4 bills
Really? Kyle a monk? where did he go? I liked the guy, well I'm sure he's happy....I wonder if they let him keep a tank The mid-peninsula sucks for fish stores I would have to drive 30 + miles to get to a real store 40+ to Aquarium Concepts.
Ultimate's not too bad I mean come oin (said like Jimmy from South Park), Kyle still lives on the Peninsula, and to my knowledge shops at Ultimate one of your so called "suck" stores.......
Old 12/19/2007, 11:34 PM
Member Registered

I actually heard that kyle moved back recently. I forgot about that.
Old 12/20/2007, 12:09 AM
Premium Member

where and what is the name of the "place around the corner", so I can be sure to avoid it.
Ultimate seems okay for fish, but a rip off for coral.
Most LFS are way over priced for corals anyways. Why would i ever buy corals from Lfs, if I can get the same stuff from you guys fraggin stuff for one tenth the cost. plus I know you take care of you stuff more than the lfs. ie less likely to have diseases.
Old 12/20/2007, 12:48 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tuberider
Ultimate's not too bad I mean come oin (said like Jimmy from South Park), Kyle still lives on the Peninsula, and to my knowledge shops at Ultimate one of your so called "suck" stores.......
When I said SUCK'S I meant that there are very few reef stores nearby......But O.K.
Old 12/20/2007, 04:26 AM
Registered Member

i thought kyle became a pastor? he still maintains tanks at his wife's office so he hasn't completely left. he didn't even know how bad his old store has become.