Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Middle Tennessee Reef Club (MTRC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/18/2007, 03:30 AM
New Aquatronica Fan

Check this out: "Mag Racks"

I'm very seriously considering buying one of these. Or maybe at least buying a handful of neodymium magnets off of ebay, epoxying them, and giving it a try myself.

http://www.mag-racks.com/

I think these could possibly be a GREAT addition for me as I have hardly any room in my tank!

Brandon
Old 12/18/2007, 03:47 AM
New Aquatronica Fan

Sweet... I found something else thats cool and potentially quite useful...

http://www.coralcradle.com/

Man, I'm beginning to get the coral bug... this scares me...

Brandon
Old 12/18/2007, 08:07 AM
Premium Member

Thanks Brandon, I'm looking to start a frag tank next year, these have been bookmarked till then.

Normanb
Old 12/18/2007, 09:55 AM
Premium Member

cee uses something similar to the coral cradle that wedges perfectly into eggcrate. I believe it is some sort of "standard" type product for another industry and they are probably really inexpensive.
Old 12/18/2007, 12:22 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crumbletop
cee uses something similar to the coral cradle that wedges perfectly into eggcrate. I believe it is some sort of "standard" type product for another industry and they are probably really inexpensive.
Wow after all the money I've spent in the last 6 months
I didn't realize they were expensive ....But always looking for cheaper. Chime in there Cee.

Norman
Old 12/18/2007, 04:58 PM
kz skimmer rocks

get a mag float the 125 gallon size and glue on egg crate much easier and more sturdy to work with
Old 12/18/2007, 07:14 PM
New Aquatronica Fan

I thought about that. Then everything could be local, too. Only thing is... I really like the way his mag racks look!

Brandon
Old 12/18/2007, 08:10 PM
kz skimmer rocks

Quote:
Originally posted by NeveSSL
I thought about that. Then everything could be local, too. Only thing is... I really like the way his mag racks look!

Brandon
i like the black eggcrate i might have to order some
Old 12/19/2007, 02:08 AM
New Aquatronica Fan

I do too. Let me know if you find a source.

I've been very tempted just to get some neodymium magnets off of eBay, paint them and the egg crate with like 4 or 5 coats of black epoxy, and just see what I can do with them.

Brandon
Old 12/20/2007, 12:24 AM
Registered Member

I bought this rack a while back:

http://www.oceanswondersonline.com/c...25.htm#image_1

Same basic idea. The only problem is with the square magnets. They don't seem very stable, and can easily "flip" over when jostled, sending the rack over and the frags to the bottom of the tank. I like the design of your rack better, as I think the flat round magnets would be more stable. I'll see if I can't get a picture up in the morning.
Old 12/20/2007, 12:30 AM
New Aquatronica Fan

The guy who makes the one I linked first has a good solution to stabilize them a bit that can be found here: http://www.mag-racks.com/diystabilizer.htm

A good idea that would work with just about any of these.

Brandon