Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/06/2007, 09:58 AM
Registered Member

Adding two-part to top off sump

I am setting up a 5 gallon sump filled with RO/DI water for my auto top-off unit. Can I monitor my cal. and alk. needs and add the two-part to the top-off water? I was planning on a weak concentration in the sump and supplement it with normal by-weekly tank dosing.
Old 12/06/2007, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

TTT
Old 12/06/2007, 04:34 PM
Premium Member

You cannot add them together. They need to be added to a high flow area in your tank, one at a time. Let the first mix in for a minute, and then add the next part. If you want to maitain ALK and Calcium with toppoff water, you need to mix it with kalk, and set up a kalk drip. I think there are some people who mix kalk for an auto topoff, but I have no experience with it.
Old 12/06/2007, 04:49 PM
Registered Member

I think you would be better off to determine your daily tank alk/ca consumption and maintain the proper levels through daily dosing.
Old 12/06/2007, 04:56 PM
Flea Slide

You can add the alkalinity part via the top off and then you could add the calcium part either daily or weekly.
Old 12/06/2007, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

I am not looking so much for a replacement for daily dosing. My thoughts are if I could add a weak solution of alk. and cal. to my top off resevoir my alk. and cal. would be more stable? What about adding kalk. to my top off resevoir at a low dosage that would not precipitate out? I would still test and dose as normal but the alk. and cal. would not fluctuate as much.
Old 12/06/2007, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

Why not dose the two-part daily instead of bi-weekly? This should give you more stability
Old 12/06/2007, 08:07 PM
Member of SEA-T

if you are looking for a way to add a calc/alk buffer in the top-off, the best way to do it is with Kalk.
Old 12/23/2007, 12:05 AM
Premium Member

i drip dose 2 part into the sump without any problems. I use 2 kangaroo IV bags with watered (ro/di) down alk in one bag and cal in the other. Make sure they drip into an area that has at least some flow and separate the two hoses so they don't mix too quick. I use diluted two part because it is easier to regulate and still gives me a 3-4 day reserve. It also makes it easier to match the amount going into the tank. The valves I'm using are not accurate enough to do 1 drip / few minutes. One day I'll get some actual pumps to them on and be real fancy.
Old 12/23/2007, 01:59 AM
Registered Member

Kalk drips are great for tanks with a heavy calcium needs. If this is the case go for that. Two part works greats too though. Use what ever works for you. I would not mix the two part together, it needs to be added separetly.
Old 12/23/2007, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

When I go out of town for any legnth of time, I set up a second top-off tank and tie it into my float switch. Then, I add alk to one, and calcium to the other. Each then feeds water into the sump as needed, w/out the need to mix the two. I have also used Salifert's all-in-one to supplement via top-off water for shorter trips. I need the extra topoff because I evaporate quite a bit more in colder weather. I wouldn't put them together in the same topoff, as you'll probably get a precipitate.
Old 12/23/2007, 03:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Lambert
You cannot add them together. They need to be added to a high flow area in your tank, one at a time. Let the first mix in for a minute, and then add the next part. If you want to maitain ALK and Calcium with toppoff water, you need to mix it with kalk, and set up a kalk drip. I think there are some people who mix kalk for an auto topoff, but I have no experience with it.
What if a small powerhead was put in the top-off tank? Then dose it with a 2 part?
Old 12/23/2007, 03:37 PM
Generic Member

I'd use Limewater for the topoff. Easy and cheap. Do that 1st and see if it keeps up with the tanks demands.