Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/27/2007, 02:01 PM
King of the white corals

top down box

Looking for directions on how to make a top down box to take pictures through

Ive heard of them....never actually seen one.

I have plenty of acrylic laying arouond(hopefully 1/2" quality cast will work)...........and can build with acrylic....just looking for a little direction here

thanks
Old 10/27/2007, 03:42 PM
Registered Member

Top Down Box

Flyyguy,
Try Googling this as there are several different designs. Melev has a nice one on his web page, but your design largely depends on your camera type (size, lens, etc). Here's the link to Melev's web page

http://www.melevsreef.com/topdown.html
Old 10/27/2007, 03:47 PM
King of the white corals

Thanks for the reply.

I see........hmmm. I was envisioning something different that didnt actually go in to the water so far. I have a D-100.......its going to take one huge fricken box........I think it might behoove me to build this box for my old Olympus c-3000.......I would like to use the good camera however.......

it wouldnt bother me so much when i dunk it either.
Old 10/27/2007, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

hey flyyyguy, i too am in oregon (grants pass) and i also have a d100. weird- good luck.
Old 10/28/2007, 04:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gopens
hey flyyyguy, i too am in oregon (grants pass) and i also have a d100. weird- good luck.
and you meet on the internet! it's a match made in heaven =)
Old 10/28/2007, 04:22 PM
King of the white corals

Oh C'mon fivewhyn.......be nice. Its the Lords day.

But seriously........gopens......do you know what you are doing???......do you give lessons??

Im getting better but I really have no idea how this camera works. You can click on my little red house and look at some of my most recent ones. I seriously want to find someone who knows what the hell they are doing and send them a box of frags for their time giving me some pointers.
Old 10/28/2007, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by flyyyguy
Oh C'mon fivewhyn.......be nice. Its the Lords day.

But seriously........gopens......do you know what you are doing???......do you give lessons??

Im getting better but I really have no idea how this camera works. You can click on my little red house and look at some of my most recent ones. I seriously want to find someone who knows what the hell they are doing and send them a box of frags for their time giving me some pointers.
I was being nice=)

I can help you with that. what kinda frags?
Old 10/28/2007, 04:35 PM
King of the white corals

what kind do you want?? zoas, rics, sps??

To be honest...what i struggle with most is how ISO, shutter speed, and F-stop work with each other. You know, the basic stuff that any noob SHOULD know.

I dont understand why the camera chooses some of the ISO speeds it does when set on auto, although I typically shoot in manual everything as I dont think im going to learn much using auto........ISO i have found that either 500 or 640 as it seems to produce the best results.

Im really just wanting to do macros, as Im too lazy to take off my macro lens as I have a another camera that shoots FTS just fine, or I can walk to the end of the hall and lean WAY over to the side with this one.
Old 10/28/2007, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

well I would say zoos but my decorator crab likes those too much.

I could definitely use some sps as I need more. what kind could you send?
Old 10/28/2007, 04:53 PM
King of the white corals

?? we probably should take this to PM....However, I guess the question in response to that is how much do you charge for lessons and are you good at it??

I have beautiful frags of everything from a couple inches for $10 to LE stuff for $50 for 1/2" to 1".

Barter away

ps- nothing cooler than a decorator crab covered in high end palys