Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)

Old 09/01/2007, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

Football

Hey man...it happens to one (or more) of our teams every year. App St has taken down quite a few big name teams. They may not be Div IA, but thery're as good, if not better than alot of teams in IA.

Props to Blue for scheduling them in their non-conf schedule but it was lose-lose at best. If they beat App St, they were suppose to....if they lose, well....you know what happens then.

We go through the same thing when we schedule Fresno St....

Uh oh....another turnover.....
Old 09/01/2007, 01:40 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Well if either of my colleges had decent football programs, I'd be more excited this weekend. Now college hoop ... ODU and Kansas baby!!!!

Although my wife is USC/ASU. Her entire family is Pac 10 and half my son's wordrobe is KU, USC or ASU. I could care less about the teams but I love Pac 10 tailgating!!!

I read an article on why the Raiders might not even improve on their record from last year.

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 09/01/2007, 05:46 PM
Premium Member

Hey Fliger, maybe we should introduce your wife and my boyfriend, and then we can watch our Chiefs together in peace!

And Skip, I used to think you were a pretty decent guy, and then I found out that you're an Oakland Thugs fan. Nice knowin' ya, man.
Old 09/01/2007, 06:17 PM
GO BEARS!!

Quote:
Originally posted by bigjdotcom01
I bleed Bills blue!
I do now since Lynch was drafted to them!

Ryan
Old 09/01/2007, 11:08 PM
GO BEARS!!

Glorious revenge!!!!!

Look out USC!

Ryan
Old 09/03/2007, 05:44 PM
Premium Member

LOL I dont know whats funnier, EvilE's Michigan losing or the fact he jumped off the band wagon and ditched his avatar and jumped on the cowboys wagon.
Old 09/03/2007, 05:52 PM
Premium Member

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only fan from the mid-Atlantic. My Virginia Cavaliers have not done too much since Tiki Barber graduated, but I continue to bleed orange and blue. Otherwise, go ACC (except Duke).
Old 09/03/2007, 05:57 PM
GO BEARS!!

Quote:
Originally posted by michaelaz
LOL I dont know whats funnier, EvilE's Michigan losing or the fact he jumped off the band wagon and ditched his avatar and jumped on the cowboys wagon.
That is funny! I wonder if he will jump of that wagon when he hears one of the coaches for the cowboys got caught with steroids for some of the players.

Ryan
Old 09/03/2007, 06:31 PM
][D][][V][][D

Quote:
They ****ed me off!! I am still and always will be a Michigan fan---no matter how bad they embarrass me! Hopefully my Cowboys don't let me down this week, or I'll be on suicide watch.....
Old 09/03/2007, 06:35 PM
][D][][V][][D

Quote:
Originally posted by evolust
That is funny! I wonder if he will jump of that wagon when he hears one of the coaches for the cowboys got caught with steroids for some of the players.
You obviously don't know what you're talking about. Wade Wilson (Cowboys QB coach)got suspended for 5 games because he took HGH 3 years ago while an assistant with the bears, for some health issues. The NFL just found out about it, and suspended him. Steroids weren't involved, nor did he "supply" anything to any players.... learn the facts before you pipe off about stuff son.....
Old 09/03/2007, 06:36 PM
][D][][V][][D

Quote:
Oh and for the record, I've probably been a Cowboys fan longer then you've been alive, so stop with the "bandwagon" banter......
Old 09/03/2007, 08:10 PM
Premium Member

I'm not invested in the little debate on avatars, etc... here, but I think the comment above regarding steroids is within bounds, given that that is how it was reported--at least as of 2 days ago. Below is from an article pulled from the dallas morning news on 9/1.

By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News
tarcher@dallasnews.com

Wilson acknowledged to NFL officials that he received prohibited substances, believed to be human growth hormone and steroids, while serving as Chicago's quarterbacks coach from 2004-06.

And IMHO, just because someone says they took human growth hormone and/or steroids for health issues--does NOT mean they actually took human growth hormone and/or steroids for healthy issues. Curious how his comment gets accepted at face value and not questioned for how *questionable* (read medically ludicrous) it is--"my diabetes was out of control--so I took human growth hormone I got off the internet/from some quack MD." Ahhhhhhhh....now it all makes sense.

Lots of older athletes, including those no longer playing, start/continue to take performance enhancing drugs to try to hold on to their youth, keep the pain of years of injuries away, etc........
Old 09/03/2007, 09:28 PM
][D][][V][][D

Quote:
Originally posted by Doglover_50
I'm not invested in the little debate on avatars, etc... here, but I think the comment above regarding steroids is within bounds, given that that is how it was reported--at least as of 2 days ago. Below is from an article pulled from the dallas morning news on 9/1.

tarcher@dallasnews.com

Wilson acknowledged to NFL officials that he received prohibited substances, believed to be human growth hormone and steroids, while serving as Chicago's quarterbacks coach from 2004-06.

And IMHO, just because someone says they took human growth hormone and/or steroids for health issues--does NOT mean they actually took human growth hormone and/or steroids for healthy issues. Curious how his comment gets accepted at face value and not questioned for how *questionable* (read medically ludicrous) it is--"my diabetes was out of control--so I took human growth hormone I got off the internet/from some quack MD." Ahhhhhhhh....now it all makes sense.

Lots of older athletes, including those no longer playing, start/continue to take performance enhancing drugs to try to hold on to their youth, keep the pain of years of injuries away, etc........
fair enough, but he didn't "get caught for steroids for some of the players" as someone so falsely mentioned above
Old 09/03/2007, 09:34 PM
Premium Member

Ill tell you the real eye opener was Mike Websters death, this guy was the iron man of the Steelers heyday and lived in a car and was homeless before he died. Steroids played a major part of his demise later in life,that's sad.

Last edited by michaelaz; 09/03/2007 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09/03/2007, 09:37 PM
][D][][V][][D

Quote:
Originally posted by Doglover_50

tarcher@dallasnews.com

Wilson suspended 5 games
By MAC ENGEL
Star-Telegram staff writer

Special to the S-T
Wade Wilson says he was taking a drug to combat the effects of diabetes. IRVING -- The Cowboys' first run-in with controversy this season involved one of the last people anybody would have expected.

Quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson was suspended five regular-season games and fined $100,000 for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy. He will not be allowed to have any contact with the team until Oct. 9.

Wilson, 48, said he was taking a drug, which he chose not to identify Saturday, to combat the effects of diabetes, which he's had for nearly 24 years. He said he began taking the drug last fall while he was the Bears' quarterbacks coach.

"I'm kind of taken aback by the severity of the penalty," Wilson said. "I was taking what I thought was a legitimate product for legitimate reasons, and this came back to bite me, I guess."

Wilson's suspension is the result of an investigation conducted by the Albany (N.Y.) County District Attorney's office of an Internet pharmaceutical distribution ring. Patriots safety Rodney Harrison also was connected to the investigation.

According to a report in the New York Daily News, Wilson and Harrison admitted to receiving human growth hormone, which medical studies have shown can aid diabetics. On Saturday, Wilson would not confirm that he was taking HGH.

"I purchased a banned substance. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it," said Wilson, who played for the Cowboys from 1995-97. He was the team's quarterbacks coach from 2000-02 and was the Bears' quarterbacks coach from 2004-06 before returning to the Cowboys under first-year coach Wade Phillips this spring.

Although currently there is no reliable test for HGH, the NFL can suspend a player if it has been proven that he has taken or possessed a banned substance.

Wilson said he never knew the drug he purchased was banned and that he bought the pills with his American Express card.

"If I was trying to hide something, I wouldn't have put it on a credit card," Wilson said. "I had no idea this was illegal or against league policy.... I thought it was a legitimate place."

Wilson was told his name turned up on a list in August, and he was called to meet with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell in New York on Aug. 17. He said he laid everything out to the commissioner. Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones informed Wilson on Friday night of the suspension and fine.

"In reviewing the facts, we know that Wade had absolutely no intention of breaking any league rules," Jones said in a statement.

In his place, offensive coordinator Jason Garrett and offensive assistant Wes Phillips will coach the quarterbacks.

"He did all the right things, in my opinion," Wade Phillips said. "What's happened has happened. I am just saying I support him."

Wilson did not appeal the suspension. He said he did not regret what he did, but was embarrassed by the situation.

"Certainly, I think coaches and people of authority are held in higher regard than players," Wilson said. "I would have hoped that, with my record in the NFL and no other blemishes on my record, that it might have been different. I did it. There's no question that I did that."

ONLINE: dallascowboys.com

tengel@star-telegram.com
Mac Engel, 817-390-7760
Old 09/03/2007, 09:39 PM
][D][][V][][D

Quote:
Ill tell you the real eye opener was Mike Websters death, this guy was the iron man of the stealers heyday and lived in a car and was homeless before he died. Steriods played a major part of his demise later in life,thats sad.
and look what happened to Lyle Alzado--he took steroids for years, admittingly so, and he is long gone now--it ruins lives for sure I agree. Alzado for the last part of his life spoke out about steroids, and the ill effects later in life for taking them.
Old 09/03/2007, 09:55 PM
Registered Member

seahawks are gonna take it all the way this year! and not get f'd by the ref's
Old 09/03/2007, 10:02 PM
GO BEARS!!

Quote:
Originally posted by EvilE
. learn the facts before you pipe off about stuff son.....
Comments like this are very unnecessary. I'm being polite here to respect others on this board and not turn this tread into another arguing thread, but its hard to not come down to your level when you make comment like the above. The news reported what I said, sorry if they got the story wrong, but I will listen to them over you as they are a more credible source then you on this matter IMO.

Ryan
Old 09/03/2007, 10:08 PM
][D][][V][][D

Quote:
Comments like this are very unnecessary. I'm being polite here to respect others on this board and not turn this tread into another arguing thread, but its hard to not come down to your level when you make comment like the above. The news reported what I said, sorry if they got the story wrong, but I will listen to them over you as they are a more credible source then you on this matter IMO.
Ok whatever man. You brought it on yourself, and I don't call calling me a bandwagon fan, and talking ill informed smack about my team, is being polite or respectful! That's news to me if you call what you said respectful! Just FYI, I posted the news story above with credentials, since I am not credible enough for you.
Old 09/03/2007, 10:11 PM
][D][][V][][D

Back on topic, what are you all's early Superbowl matchup predictions?? I think it will be the Saints/Patriots
Old 09/03/2007, 10:13 PM
Set it up

Saints / San Diego
Old 09/03/2007, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

saints/seahawks
Old 09/03/2007, 10:17 PM
Premium Member

Im just glad to have Marshawn on both of my FFL teams , Next to ASU I enjoy watching Cal, and their punt returner is a STUD!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09/03/2007, 10:22 PM
GO BEARS!!

Quote:
Im just glad to have Marshawn on both of my FFL teams , Next to ASU I enjoy watching Cal, and their punt returner is a STUD!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ya you gotta like a guy that returns 20% of punts for TD's!!!

Ryan
Old 09/03/2007, 10:31 PM
Registered Member

Superbowl prediction:

Cards get home field advantage ....