Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/31/2007, 11:30 PM
Registered Member

Yellow Striped Maroon Clownfish

I really like the look of these clownfishes but have heard from people that they are VERY aggressive. So I really want to know from the people who actually own these fishes, How aggressive are these fish?

Thanks,
Ali

"I'll believe it when I see it"
Old 08/01/2007, 12:07 AM
Registered Member

Mine is still a juvenile and finally getting its bars. But it does not like anything by its anenome, any nearby frags will get pushed or tossed aside, somethimes if other fish go too close they get chased away. Few times cleaning the glass it nipped me scaring the crap out of me! Besides that its not that bad...but it may get worse when it gets bigger, its only about 2 inches right now.

Old 08/01/2007, 12:09 AM
Premium Member

I have a pair of these guys and they're well-established in my tank. In my experience, they aren't nearly as aggressive with my other fish as their reputation would indicate. They really don't bother anyone. I even have a Sebae clown in a Haddoni carpet. I added him later to protect the carpet, and at first the maroons would chase him back to his 'nem if he wandered out, but now they really just ignore each other.

They are however very opposed to me placing corals or clams near the BTAs. If I don't get them fastened down somehow, I always find them lying on the sand the next day. Also, I find myself frequently using my scraper to push stretching BTAs away from other corals, and they attack that thing with a vengeance when I do that. More than once this has resulted in an inadvertent fragging of a nearby coral.

jds
Old 08/01/2007, 12:25 AM
Registered Member

jds,

Did you get the pair at the same time? I'm thinking of adding another but don't want them to fight.
Old 08/01/2007, 12:33 AM
Registered Member

I bought mine paired. They seem to beat up on my (found out, LFS said it wouldn't be a problem) Anemone because the female is to big. Other then that. they are quite docile. I have corals next to them and they come up to me while I'm feeding them. They have gotten use the to feeding baster and go crazy when they see it (swim around it and snuggle up to it) IMO mine are not as aggresive as I have read. They even swim with my Clown Fairy Wrasse. Even feeding time they all share, no fighting.

Old 08/01/2007, 05:58 AM
Registered Member

Mine is territorial, but nothing too serious. He'll "sometimes" chase my sixline away from the anemone and has knocked over some corals that get placed too close to the anem. for his liking. However, he'll cruise the tank periodically but won't show aggression. He only chases fish away that he feels are too close to his anem. Oh, and he likes to nip my hands!!

The green porite didn't last too long in that spot.

Old 08/01/2007, 09:19 AM
Premium Member

Hi,

Mine actually were "used." They came, as a pair, in my first ever saltwater tank which I bought as a system.

jds

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuuze
jds,

Did you get the pair at the same time? I'm thinking of adding another but don't want them to fight.
Old 08/01/2007, 09:20 AM
Obsessed reefer

My gold stripe maroon is just a bit territorial around it's anemone but nothing serious. A bit of chasing away but no nipping and that is only if "certain" fish get too close to the anemone.

New frags cannot be placed close to the anemone either. They will be shoved away in a heartbeat.

I used to have a pair but the large female died after a couple of years. Not sure why. The small male (pictured) is now a female and is getting larger.

......Hi Joe..........
Old 08/01/2007, 09:29 AM
Registered Member

I have a single one, she is about 3" and in a 10g quarantine with a coral beauty at the moment because of an ick outbreak in the display tank...

Im really surprised that she has not beat the crap out of the coral beauty in such a small tank because when she's in the display she is extremely territorial, especially around her BTA.. which has expanded about 50% since she's been in QT... so she was obviously rough on it.

I get nipped quite often if my hand is in the tank... I'll probably be trading her out for a pair of very small Ocellaris so I can have some more docile fish in there and not worry.
Old 08/01/2007, 09:35 AM
Moved In

Mine was pretty good for about 5 years, now she's pretty much a terror. She knocks down rocks over twice her sized, I can't put anything in the tank, alive or dead. She hasn't bit me yet, but she has taken to ramming me when my hands are in the tank.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!