Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/16/2007, 06:59 AM
My reef is my fix :-D

Quote:
Originally posted by pepeinthenavy
What's with the link SDguy???
What's with what link?

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 08/16/2007, 07:44 AM
Registered Member

I've stared at my anthias relentlessly and I think I have 2 males left (the sick anthia has found a place to rest in peace and its a matter of hours). I've learned my lesson and I'm in the process of setting up my hospital tank.

Here's why I think there are two males left:
1) The dorsal fin on each one is completely red with a blue outline
2) The pec fins are really long on both of them
3) They flash ALL THE TIME!! Oftentimes they flash on top of each other, almost touching eachother
What I have noticed is that one is larger than the other and this larger one has different coloration. He has a pink head and a distinctly yellow/orange body. The smaller one has the same pink head, but the body is more of a pinkish yellow and doesn't stand out from the head as much.
But WOW, do they flash a lot!!!
So, if I do indeed have two males, do I have a problem on my hands???
They get along great right now and are like 2 peas in a pod. ZERO aggression towards eachother.
Old 08/16/2007, 08:24 AM
My reef is my fix :-D

Well, I'd say it does sound like you have two males. Flashing to each other actually is aggression, just not physical contact. I can't be certain, but I doubt they will get along, long term. On the other hand, you may go with the idea that with no females, they are less likely to fight, and therefore might actually coexist. It's an idea I've been tossing around in my head...no clue if it will work though.

Click my red house to see my tank :-)

Last edited by SDguy; 08/16/2007 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08/16/2007, 08:28 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pezcubano
I've stared at my anthias relentlessly and I think I have 2 males left (the sick anthia has found a place to rest in peace and its a matter of hours). I've learned my lesson and I'm in the process of setting up my hospital tank.

Here's why I think there are two males left:
1) The dorsal fin on each one is completely red with a blue outline
2) The pec fins are really long on both of them
3) They flash ALL THE TIME!! Oftentimes they flash on top of each other, almost touching eachother
What I have noticed is that one is larger than the other and this larger one has different coloration. He has a pink head and a distinctly yellow/orange body. The smaller one has the same pink head, but the body is more of a pinkish yellow and doesn't stand out from the head as much.
But WOW, do they flash a lot!!!
So, if I do indeed have two males, do I have a problem on my hands???
They get along great right now and are like 2 peas in a pod. ZERO aggression towards eachother.
whether you are going to have problems down the line or not--you did the right thing by introducing three at once--that can help sometimes. If they are getting along now then they probably be ok.
What you have to watch is when you add more fish--any fish will become stressed if they feel "their space" is being violated.
Old 08/16/2007, 11:00 AM
Premium Member

This species and Bartletts as Peter has described in other posts can be down right nasty! When they want someone gone from the group they will make sure it is done. This is not just a male trait. Females can be just as rough with each other.

Your dispar showing are their aggression by flashing for now. Only time will tell if they will start ripping each others eye's out. The flashing you are seeing is surely causing a great deal of stress. Stress as we know in humas is a slow killer.

Your fish are still new and have not been able to set up territiories. Over time maybe they will split and occupy differant parts of the tank maybe they won't. All you can really do now is give them a good varied diet to keep them strong. Provide the esenstial vitamins and minerals through Vita Chem and Selcon and add Beta Glucon once a week. Keep your eye on the one that is not as impressive looking.

If you decide to add females later on make sure they spend time in a QT tank. Get them eating there and make sure they are healthy before adding them to your males.

Carl
Old 08/16/2007, 12:54 PM
Registered Member

What is Beta Glucon? When I google it, I get all these cancer related links??

Also, what do you guys think about Disbar vs. Ignitus, temperment-wise? I know they're a similar species--I think someone on this thread said Ig is the Maldive version of Disbar--is that right? If so, are temperments the same?

"Well behaved women never get any respect" -- Benazir Bhutto
Old 08/16/2007, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

Also, as far as supplements go--what do you think of Reef Solution (by Ecosystems) and Coral Grow (Red Sea). RS is a trace/vit complex with a lot of vit B's, which I've used for over 5 years with amazing results. Colors have intensified of all the fish that grew up in my tank--I've also almost exclusively fed Spectrum Thera A+ for the last few years--until the recent Anthias additions.

Coral Grow is like steroids for any type of soft tissue coral/animal (anamones, xenia, etc...). What's in it is a closely guarded secret--I've poured thru Red Sea's web site as I've been a believer of the product for a couple of years now. It brought my anemone's and xenia back from STUMPS in a matter of a couple of weeks. On the bottle they say it's a fatty-acid lipid complex, that is also beneficial as a food soak, so I've been doing that for my Randall's--one of them won't eat food the tastes like garlic, so I am feeding both soaks to the tank, garlic elixired food first. Have you used either RS or CG and if so, what do you think compared to Selcon and Vita Chem?

Old 08/16/2007, 01:24 PM
Premium Member

Beta Glucon is a immune system builder and strengthner. You will probably find it mentioned alot at cancer sites because it heps build up the immune sytem. Very important after Chemo and other cancer treatments.

Selcon and Vita Chem have been around for many years and have proved they should be on the shelves. I haven't used any of the products you mention so I can't really comment on them. Maybe someone else will chime in on them. If they are working for you I wouldn't change.

Carl
Old 08/16/2007, 01:32 PM
Premium Member

If you get good ignitus from the start your chances of keeping them alive are ok. If even slightly mistreated they don't fair well. They are the Indian Ocean Dispar.

The more and more I read I think all of the shallower water species are very aggressive or at least more so then the deeper water species but I think a lot also depends on the tank size, group size and individual temperment. A couple of people here have been able to keep ignitus for some time. They are definitely a very attractive species.

Carl
Old 08/16/2007, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

What about Square Spot Anthias? I believe they're deep water, right? I've heard they are a more aggressive Anthias--has this been your experience too?

Old 08/16/2007, 01:55 PM
Premium Member

I have never kept them. All anthias can be agreesive but some species can be very unrelenting with their aggression in my opion.

Carl
Old 08/17/2007, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

I've read various articles and threads pointing out Square Spot aggression. I would wait till a Square Spot owner chimes in...
Old 08/17/2007, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

By the way,
Can a Male Dispar morph into a female as per the requirements of the group?
Old 08/17/2007, 01:19 PM
Premium Member

I have never read anything about them reverting back to female.

Carl
Old 08/22/2007, 04:59 PM
Registered Member

So, in retrospect I think I know what happened with my tank and the anthia problems I was having.
First of all, Marinedepotlive sent me 3 male anthias!!! I should have specified beforehand or at least recognized it when I got them.
The smallest male got tons of stress from the acclimation and he never really stood a chance.
The dominant male has since shown his true colors and when the small male died what was left were the dominant male, and a medium sized male. The medium sized male has been spending all his time in the LR recently and he's stressed out by the dominant male. I've recently added a female and she's doing great. She's strongly paired up with the dominant male, and the medium sized male is now the outcast. He mingles with the pair once in a while, but for the most part he stays in his little are of LR!!
From now on, its females only!!!
Old 08/22/2007, 05:24 PM
Premium Member

Next time make sure you have a plan for QT. It will be an easy way to make sure you have females. You will also be able to get them eating prior to being thrown to the lions. When you add more girls try to get the smallest possible ones you can.

Carl
Old 08/22/2007, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

I bought 4 barlets about 3months ago. They were juveniles and only one appeared to be a male. Well,I now have 3 males. One is dominant and hangs with the female. The other two battle mouth to mouth from time to time. It's a 120gallon tank with plenty of caves and hideouts so the battles are very brief and all seem to be ok.
Old 08/23/2007, 07:33 AM
Registered Member

I'm working on the QT as we speak!
My sub-dominant male is still hanging around, but I think he's pretty stressed by the dominant male. There's no actual fighting going on, but anytime he leaves his cave, the dominant male is there flashing him with everything he's got!!
I'd be surprised if he makes it in the long run, but let's see. At least he's eating well.
Old 08/23/2007, 08:10 AM
Premium Member

qt is the best way to go for alot of reasons----nothing goes in my main tank unless it does 4-5 weeks in the qt.
I have three anthias(paddle foot??) in there now for the last three weeks.
The qt also allows you to experiment with difficult feeders.