Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/06/2006, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

Hammering Wood screws Okay?

I need to ask before doing this,

Is hammering a wood screw into the wood to connect joints a bad thing to do?

The smooth part of the screw is sticking out and my driller isnt able to drive the screw anymore.

I cant even take it out its too far in
Old 12/06/2006, 07:36 PM
www.kandnsales.net

SWEET.

an egineer friend was telling me that when he went to africa the guys working there had no idea what a screw was and they where just pounding them in. i believe it was an airplane, and they where replacing the jet engine.

what else can you do? if you cant get it out and you dont feel like using an extractor. i guess i would pound it in. in fact i know i would, as long as it wouldnt cause any damage.
Old 12/06/2006, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

Try taking it out with a vise grip. If you put the vise grips on the edge you should be able to turn it out.
It's probably not a good idea to hammer it in. A screw works like a wedge. If you hammer it in you will more than likely strip out the hole somewhat and reduce the strength of the join or crack the wood.
If you're having trouble screwing it in you may want to consider pre drilling the hole, especially if it is hard wood. If your driver is cordless, your battery may need charging or replacement.
Old 12/06/2006, 08:23 PM
in the bathtub

Also if it is so tight you can longer get it to go in any further attempt to drive it in with either a screw driver or a hanner will likely break the screw. depending on where it breaks that could cause new problems. I would do as PJSEA has suggested.

On an aside I did work with a guy who said the threads were for taking them out.

Ed: "I hate to tell you this Dr., but there aren't any fish in that river. In fact, there isn't any river."
Dr. Lao: "That's ok. Me no use bait."
Old 12/06/2006, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

Every time Ive wacked one with a hammer it generally breaks the head off before it does much good, try a bigger screwdriver to get some leverage or next time counter sink the head a bit
Old 12/06/2006, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

Their very design precludes you from pounding them in. Use the vise grip suggestion. If you are intent on hammering them in make sure you have a similar size bit to drill it out after you break off the head.
Old 12/06/2006, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

Sorry fellas, have to differ with you here, they do drive in, but since he started the screw with a drill or driver, it will be a pain to get it to move with a hammer, but you can do it, just give it a wack, then get a big nail set and drive it in all the way, if the head breaks who cares, just drive in the body of the screw with a nail set. I have used 3" deck screws to build a set of steps, was in a hurry and my drill died, so I drove them in like nails....that was about 5 years ago....they are still holding fine
Old 12/06/2006, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

i've spent many years building theatrical stages, renovating houses, writing software, and lately, putting together tanks.

the whole idea of hammering in wood screws is wonderful. go for it. use a brick.

i'm firmly of the opinion that there are exactly two tools you need for anything. duct tape and WD-40. if it's loose and you want it stuck, use duct tape. if it's stuck and you want it loose, use WD-40.

that about sums it up kids.
Old 12/06/2006, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

"The smooth part of the screw is sticking out and my driller isnt able to drive the screw anymore."

Never heard it called a driller before...

"the whole idea of hammering in wood screws is wonderful. go for it. use a brick."

Classic stuff!

You can tap the screw back with a hammer, sure. It might break, again who cares- just use your driller to stick another one right next to it, if possible add two.
You may even notice the new screw will draw the pieces together. This is wood the screw is in?
Old 12/06/2006, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

you can grind off what is sticking out.
Old 12/06/2006, 10:56 PM
Registered Member

you think he's got a grinder if he's using a driller to hammer his screws in?
Old 12/06/2006, 11:07 PM
Premium Member

Just leave it stick out and use to to hold something dangly... like fuzzy dice. Your average person will think you meant it that way!

I would cut it off... or hammer it, depending on the mood. Sometimes those little mistakes turn into bigger mistakes and by the time you get upset and throw the driller and break something bigger... the hammer feels good to use, on the screw, or on anything that is not smart enough to get up and run.

Bean
Old 12/06/2006, 11:14 PM
Registered Member

This thread rocks!

If at first you fail, get a bigger banger, if you fail again call your biggest friend to swing it.
My Turbo Honda -> Click little red house.
Friends don't let friends buy from Front Range Aquatics

Last edited by tkeracer619; 12/06/2006 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12/06/2006, 11:16 PM
Registered Member

Hope nothing stoped the screw from going in further.
My Turbo Honda -> Click little red house.
Friends don't let friends buy from Front Range Aquatics

Last edited by tkeracer619; 12/06/2006 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12/06/2006, 11:42 PM
Uncomfortably Caffeinated

Mtown, I'm having a hard time visualizing this. Picture Please.

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 12/07/2006, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

If you don't have a hammer, a large wrench will also work. Use the flat side. Bricks are ok for hammering, but they tend to break on me.
Old 12/07/2006, 12:49 AM
www.kandnsales.net

i guess its all dependent on the job.

doing 200 s/f of underlayment with a six inch pattern. you dont reach for vise grips.
Old 12/07/2006, 05:52 AM
Registered Member

A) pre drill your holes
B) Walmart, although offers some tools and hardware, maybe not the best place to go to for tools.
C) 10% rule, you must be 10% smarter than the tool you are using
D) Any tool can be the correct tool if used properly...
Old 12/07/2006, 09:25 AM
Registered Member

Ya know how it's always good to start your day with a good laugh? This thread should be enshrined!

My guess would be your battery needs to be charged too. That's why you can't back it out. My bet it is that the head doesn't even resemble a phillips head screw any longer. Your best bet for getting it out without it snapping is a good pair of vise-grips. If you can get it out intact, you've probably got 3/4 of the hole pre-drilled with threads. Try dipping the tip of the new screw in some paste wax, or even rubbing it on a candle before you try it again.

I think a mistletoe holder would be a great seasonal alternative to a fuzzy dice rack if you can't get it out.
Old 12/07/2006, 09:42 AM
Registered Member

i second the picture request.

Motown, could you please swing by walmart, get some fuzzy dice, mistletoe, and a brick, and take a picture for us?
Old 12/07/2006, 10:24 AM
Registered Member

If you use a hammer on a screw in the forest...

...does anyone hear you when you bang your finger???
Old 12/07/2006, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

Drstupid, funny another stage carp would chime in, the only reason this thread caught my eye was I was TD for a show at a community college years back and had a new crew member build a platform, Hist dewalt battery was low and only screwed the screws in about 1" into the 2x4, he then commenced to beating the things with a hammer for 1/2 an hour before anyone filled him in that when the first wack breaks the screw, the additonal wacks do not extend the screw into anything. Needless to say the platform crumbled when he tried to move it. He never did make it as a carpenter...... But he did end up as a sound guy
Old 12/07/2006, 11:09 AM
Registered Member

yeah i spend a few years helping a volunteer company with a gilbert & sullivan bent... we'd end up building really big complicated sets with a bunch of onstage volunteers for most of the crew. every third screw needed to have at least one end of it ground off!

Mtown, please don't take my joking the wrong way. i don't want to discourage you from building things... it's all part of the learning process. don't feel bad about buying a $35 grinder to tide you over until you learn how to use a driver. there's definitely a little finesse to the tool, especially when framing with larger screws. also, get yourself a pile of bits and change them often.

and you can just wack the side of that screw with a hammer and it'll snap the head right off. or a brick.
Old 12/07/2006, 11:51 AM
Fantasy Coral

Quote:
Originally posted by drstupid
i've spent many years building theatrical stages, renovating houses, writing software, and lately, putting together tanks.

the whole idea of hammering in wood screws is wonderful. go for it. use a brick.

i'm firmly of the opinion that there are exactly two tools you need for anything. duct tape and WD-40. if it's loose and you want it stuck, use duct tape. if it's stuck and you want it loose, use WD-40.

that about sums it up kids.
You left out the "paper clips"................those work great to hold things together when you don't want to use unsightly duct tape.............

Speaking of duct tape............about 20 years ago we were leaving the beach on our way home when my friends u-joint in his 1/2 ton Chevy van broke..............I used 100 yards of duct tape to connect the driveshaft to the rear u-joint............had to accelerate by just letting off the brake & couldn't get above 15 mph, but we got home.................Should have heard the guy cussing at the driveshaft shop though trying to get the duct tape off that had literally melted around the u-joint..............
Old 12/07/2006, 12:36 PM
RainbowAcro

We hammer screws all the time on things that are not 100% critical. My guys have a saying that the threads are there to take it out, not put it in. Since you have aleady screwed it in, your probably stuck. Can you back it out and try again?