Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/25/2007, 07:07 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Thanks Reefmack!

Today I also went ahead and PM'd a young local engineering student who custom builds tanks and sumps...looking to put together a little frag tank ...no rush...but thought it was time to put some thought into it...
Old 12/25/2007, 08:33 PM
Registered Member

Y-DesygnGuy~ i did a little reading up on the fixture that u purchased and it is a oddysea fixture made in china. in order for them to be good u ave to change out the mh ballast because even though it is a 250w ballast it only puts out 156w to the bulb causing it to turn a bright yellow color in a few days if not hours. u could change out the bulb to a phoenix 14k but it wont be any better than the stock lighting in the rsm. so my conclusion on the fixture is it is well worth the money if u want to diy and add things. im still going to be buying this fixture as u can mod the hell out of it but it will cost more than a quality fixture. so if u dont like it i am still very interested in buying off of u!
Old 12/25/2007, 08:56 PM
Genuine reef addict

Rue - branching into new tanks! That's a nice idea on the frag tank.
Old 12/25/2007, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

I purchased the Oddysea fixture. Have had it for about 4 months. The ballast is crap. Change it and the bulb (which is also crap) and you have one great unit. It is then on par w/ the expensive units.
Old 12/25/2007, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stephensturman
Y-DesygnGuy~ i did a little reading up on the fixture that u purchased and it is a oddysea fixture made in china. in order for them to be good u ave to change out the mh ballast because even though it is a 250w ballast it only puts out 156w to the bulb causing it to turn a bright yellow color in a few days if not hours. u could change out the bulb to a phoenix 14k but it wont be any better than the stock lighting in the rsm. so my conclusion on the fixture is it is well worth the money if u want to diy and add things. im still going to be buying this fixture as u can mod the hell out of it but it will cost more than a quality fixture. so if u dont like it i am still very interested in buying off of u!
I figured it was made in china for the price it was being sold for. I wont get it until next week sometime they said. So I will keep you posted.

*edit*
Ive been doing a lot of reading on this now as well. The newer models which i am hoping this is since the posts I was reading were last month... The newer models are electronic ballasts and the bulbs are what they claim. People were much happier with the newer models vrs the old ones. What will make me get rid of it for sure is if I don't like the look of it. I am all about the looks, its in my family room so it's seen by everyone. I will for sure keep you posted on it, again it wont get here until next week.

Last edited by Y-DesygnGuy; 12/25/2007 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12/25/2007, 09:55 PM
Registered Member

Did Someone Say... "Peanut Butter Pie"?

Reefmack

Can you overnight me a 'sampler pack' of your wife's deserts? YUM!

Sorry to over-work you... but after all you are the "ORACLE!"

My wife was NOT HAPPY with the spot I selected to set up our RSM... and then created a 'Honey Do' list of things she wanted before I begin the aquarium! God love the women in our lives!!!! Will hopefully accomplish those tasks tomorrow and THEN start to assemble the RSM!!! ?

Her choice for the RSM's location in HER HOUSE is of course the best choice... (Frankly, I have to agree!)

My RSM's box says that it includes the FREE Cooling Fan Kit... don't know if it's the most recent serial number.

My thoughts about the addition of maybe 5-10lbs. of the CaribSea substrate was:
1. to add additional substrate depth in a specific area of the RSM
2. add some size and color variation to the Reef Base
3. make an attractive area in the tank for a jawfish to burrow

So happy to hear that you are happy with the Hydor Kordia #1!
Finally... Thanks for the link to the "Sturman Position!"

Kent

Thinking my handle is difficult to type and enter on the forum... Maybe just use my first name Kent to reply.
Old 12/25/2007, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GDESQUIRE
I purchased the Oddysea fixture. Have had it for about 4 months. The ballast is crap. Change it and the bulb (which is also crap) and you have one great unit. It is then on par w/ the expensive units.
Could you tell me what you changed yours to, brand etc? The Bulb and the Ballast?

Thanks for posting, I appreciate the heads up.
Old 12/26/2007, 12:12 AM
Premium Member

Could you also explain the aux. filter. One person mentioned he had a whisper filter.

Marty

martinphillip03 - Thanks. I try my best. The fuge is doing great - CPR Aquafuge - full of pods, tiny dusters, micro stars, snails, baby snails, and the chaeto needs pruning very soon. The lights are working great too - I think my corals are looking better and it seems like the zoas have been multiplying faster than before. I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow. [/B][/QUOTE]
Old 12/26/2007, 07:15 AM
Genuine reef addict

Y-DesygnGuy (Kent) - I've just been copying & pasting your ID in - you didn't really think I was trying to type all that did you? Hah! Kent would be easier though! On the "Oracle" - if I was one I'd be retired & wealthy by now. And all my "recommendations" are strictly personal opinions - some probably based on poor information, so let the user of them beware! When you set up the RSM be sure you make it easy to access both sides of the back. I've seen a few setups in other posts with the RSM up against a wall on one side, with something like a big desk or dresser on the other side. Those would be tough to allow access to the back for skimmer work and pump chamber work. Even my location isn't ideal - I have a fireplace on the right, with just enough room to be able to get at the back on that side, and the left side has an end table but it can be moved fairly easily. I have found though that with the hang on fuge on the left that it's now a balancing act to get at the back left without moving that table. But. it's a livable situation. Sounds good on the substrate. If you got the cooling fan with the RSM it's a more recent model so that's good. (It also immediately gets rid of the "one cord" concept!). When you get that new light you'll get additional cords, and then you might want some timers for the different lights, and on and on..... Soon your wife will be asking what the heck are all those unsightly cords for? Good luck trying to come with an answer that you can justify to her, and to yourself!

Marty (alias martinphillip03) - when one replaces the RSM skimmer, there's no longer a place to put a mechanical filtration pad in. One used to be supported in a spot above the skimmer pump. So, those of use that have replaced the skimmer, and still want some type of mechanical filter for food, detritis & rock dust need to figure out a way to set up a filter somewhere in back. I just use a piece of the original black sponge stuck in next to the heater compartment, the Whisper filter pad is another option.
Old 12/26/2007, 09:11 AM
Registered Member

Y-Design Guy: I am using a 250W Ushio 14K Bulb
http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp...S&Category=464
and a ARO Electronic Ballast
http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp...S&Category=653

I have the unit hung from the ceiling. I don't miss the RSM hood.
Old 12/26/2007, 09:24 AM
Registered Member

Y-DesygnGuy: You can't sit the hood fixture on the tank as it is approx. 1/4 to small to assure that it won't fall in. The hanging system that comes w/ the unit is great. The fan is relatively quiet.

To All: Does anyone want any Xenia (Pom Pom type). 4-7 Large (wide) and very healthy heads per rock. Rocks vary from 4 - 7 inches.
Old 12/26/2007, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

GDESQUIRE -- If its not going to fit on the tank with the stands then I do not want it at all, thanks for the heads up!

Reefmack -- I think you have me mixed up with NaCl+H2O Fish, I think his name is Kent.

On a very sad note... I woke up this morning to find 1 of the clowns is missing and or dead. The other one does not look good at all. I noticed yesterday evening they looked like they were struggling. I am very very disappointed in this, the other two fish in the tank are thriving and perfectly healthy. I did a water check first thing this morning and my tank is just fine. Now I have to deal with the pet store I got them from and see what they are willing to do since its only been 72 hours.
Old 12/26/2007, 10:22 AM
Genuine reef addict

Y-DesygnGuy - You're correct - I copied & pasted the wrong ID - duh! That was directed at Kent - the NaCl guy. So sorry to hear about the clown - I'll be hoping he's hiding & comes out soon. Let us know. Not good that the other one doesn't look good. Any symptoms?

Terry
Old 12/26/2007, 10:37 AM
Registered Member

Y-DesygnGuy - It fits w/ the stands. I meant that it does not sit on the tank to give a flush look.
Old 12/26/2007, 10:37 AM
Registered Member

Y-DesygnGuy - It fits w/ the stands. I meant that it does not sit on the tank (w/out the stands) to give a flush look.
Old 12/26/2007, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

No worries Reefmack, my name is Chris for the record
I have actually caught the other clown and have him out of the tank and in a tupperware container and I am waiting for the store to open... Of course map quest tells me its 48 miles away! Joy! The other clown is most likely crab food this morning... I tested my water again, zero Nitrates, zero Ammonia, zero Nitrites, the tank is very healthy... No idea what happened to them or why, I just know I am very sad for them. I absolutely HATE for anything to die, I have prided myself on not killing anything in the 14 gallon at all. The other two fish the watchman and the fire fish as happy as can be... What a total bummer....

GDESQUIRE -- Ahhhhh thank you for clearing that up, I didn't think it would sit perfectly flush but would fit with the stands they provided. Thank you for the links to the ballast and the bulb, once the fixture gets here and I look at and decide to keep it I will order those. Thanks again!

On a side note again... Santa brought us Guitar Hero 3 for the Wii... I flipping LOVE THAT game! I always laughed and thought no way I would never play that silly game... Chaaaa its so much fun and I am pretty damn good at it! Of course everyone else here really sucks and I have to hear the same songs over and over with bad chords over and over... I hope everyone had a safe and happy Christmas!
Old 12/26/2007, 11:41 AM
Genuine reef addict

Y-DesygnGuy - bummer on the clowns. Maybe it was the lfs that ran their acclimation too quickly or transit stress from ORA to them. I'm trying to picture you playing "air guitar" on the Wii LOL!

Got the Nano Reef Guide yesterday - looks good, but I haven't had a chance to start reading it yet. Too many honey-do jobs to do first.
Old 12/26/2007, 12:11 PM
Registered Member

Reefmack -- I just got off the phone with the store, the owner sounded as bummed as I am about them. I am bring down the one that is still sorta alive and hopefully going to get 2 new ones if they have any left. Total bummer! Like the owner said they are a genetic oddity so maybe they were just to stressed from all the moving around. We'll see if they have two more im taking them, I think they are neatest fist ive had in a long time!

I flipping love that game on the Wii of course I am playing on the "easy" mode but d@mn im good!!
Old 12/26/2007, 12:39 PM
Registered Member

RM - LOL no pictures hahaha. I don't want that image floating around on the internet =P

Question: How do you know when a starfish has bit the dust? I have a small red sea star that has been in the same spot for a few days now or within half an inch from this spot. Its limbs aren't rotting off and the color looks good, it's just not active. Any advice? Thanks.
Old 12/26/2007, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

Y-DesygnGuy,
Sad news with the clowns...they were so cool. Hope you can get another pair.

Reefmack,
I highly recommend the medium whisper filter they work well and easy to access for daily cleaning.
You'll have to give an update on the book. I apparently have 4 books coming for xmas (mule train mail delivery to northern Canada is slow) so have to wait to see what I'm getting.

NaCl+H2O Fish,
You'll be happy with the Korilia #1, I think its just the right size. In the Sturman position it's almost hidden from site, compared to mounting on the side glass.

I'm think going thru "coral purchase" withdrawal. I haven't bought anything for a few weeks now!! I'm running out of room for anything too big so have to concentrate on small/specific location stuff (I do have a line on a 10 pack of Ricordia frags) which may provide the fix I need. lol
Old 12/26/2007, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

Hodge -

Thanks for the vote of confidence in the Hydor Koralia 1 ....
and the Sturman Position it will be!

Thanks Again,
Kent
Old 12/26/2007, 03:35 PM
Genuine reef addict

Y-DesygnGuy - let us know if you were able to replace the clowns.

Titans - I didn't expect any pics of the Dr. Pepper PJ's LOL! On the star - if it hasn't lost it's color I'd leave it. When I first got my little red Fromia it didn't move for 2 weeks, but stayed bright red. Eventually it started moving after I thought it was DOA.

Hodge - I just started the Nano Reef Handbook today. After scanning through it and reading only a few pages it does look worth reading. I did catch one error (I think) - under a picture of a hydrometer it had a statement that experienced aquarists usually use a refractometer because they are more expensive. I think "more accurate" would have been a better reason than "more expensive"! I may be wrong, but I don't think any of us buy something just because it's the most expensive option.
Old 12/26/2007, 04:14 PM
Registered Member

Well... I went all the way down to the store, I go a store credit for them. $108 He should be getting more in sometime next week he said. But he had every fish in the building back in his quarantine tank(s) he said. I was the 3rd person to come back or call today saying the same thing about the fish. He had one naked clown in a tank and it looked as bad off as the one i had brought to him. So it was for sure the stores fault for having problems with their tanks. We'll see how it goes next week when he calls. Poor little guys, I wish I could of saved them from that fate.
Old 12/26/2007, 05:29 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefmack
under a picture of a hydrometer it had a statement that experienced aquarists usually use a refractometer because they are more expensive. I think "more accurate" would have been a better reason than "more expensive"! I may be wrong, but I don't think any of us buy something just because it's the most expensive option.
Ahh, I see you have a machine that goes bing!

All kidding aside, there are probably many in this hobby who do think more expensive == better, but those are likely not the type to actually be reading books on the subject.
Old 12/26/2007, 06:18 PM
Genuine reef addict

Y-DesygnGuy - I don't know much about the lfs you have, or its reputation, but I might be a bit leery about purchasing fish from an lfs that has all of its fish ill. I guess it can happen to the best though, if all of the tanks are filtered through a common system.

Iostream - unfortunately the best often costs more, but I know I look for bargains wherever I can. I've found that buying on Ebay can save me a few bucks at times. I just ordered some of the Whisper filters that Hodge uses, at a lower price than I can get at an online lfs, which I used to consider the lowest cost option. I got my Remora skimmer & Tunze ATO at reducesd prices, and I've been finding quite a few things on there that I wouldn't have imagined would be listed - like the bristleworm trap I got the other day. Unfortunately I find too many good deals on Ebay, so I try not to spend too much time in there!