Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/19/2007, 04:03 AM
Registered Member

Need some info about Long Island.

Hi all. I have been offered a job on Long Island and I am just doing a little research to see if it is a good opportunity. I currently work for a very large medical technology company and we are opening a branch on Long Island. The director of my department has offered me the chance to move to NY and work there. I am from a very small town in West TN, but currently live in Memphis. I really like the idea of moving to NY, but I am not sure if the increase in pay will be worth it. Can you guys please give me some ideas about a good, safe place to live. I am definitely looking to rent for a while, because homes are MUCH more expensive than they are in Memphis. All of the research that I have done leads me to believe that rent will be the only really big difference in the cost of living. Any advice? Thanks a lot.

Nick
Old 12/19/2007, 07:35 AM
Registered Member

too much cash to live here stay where you are.look into it before you come .i want ot get out of here just to much cash to live here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12/19/2007, 08:36 AM
Registered Member

Don't even know where to begin, go to mlsli.com for homes. There are a lot of place to rent from apts to townhouses. Fairfield is the largest renter on LI. To tell you where to live without $$$ details is extremly difficult. Where on LI do they want to have a facility?

I am looking to get out of LI.
Old 12/19/2007, 09:36 AM
Premium Member

Long island's a weird place, there awesome things and some not so awesome things. NY in general is not as transient as other states. Even if people complain about it they are likely not going to leave b/c most of their families are here.

Good Things:
Fishing
Beaches
City Proximity
Decent amount of work
Most schools districts are decent
Pay scale tends to reflect NYC
Most anything needed is in driving distance

Bad Things:
TAXES, TAXES, TAXES
Traffic
Too much keeping up w/ the jones
People tend to be obnoxious
Did I mention Taxes....

The best thing is to try and visit, walk around the malls, visit some sites....
Old 12/19/2007, 09:43 AM
--sister of geek--

I'm trying to leave too--no way I'll ever own a home here.

Try this: go on a website like salary.com that does a salary-cost of living comparison, and put your salary at home in TN and what you would be making here, and see if it compares. Trust us, you'll need every penny here. Rent is probably at least twice as much here as it is there. And that's just rent--
Old 12/19/2007, 10:54 AM
Premium Member

A decent one bedroom will run you from $900 to $1200 a month plus electric. A gallon of milk costs $4.50. You really need to make $50K or over to get by comfortably here. If your new salary is less than that I'd have serious misgivings about moving here.

I'm looking to move in about 4-5 years. Can't afford to live in areas that have the best school districts (on LI houses in these areas start at $750K and go up) and though my current residence is okay I can do better elsewhere.
Old 12/19/2007, 11:10 AM
--sister of geek--

http://www.salary.com/ go to bottom left, "Cost of Living Wizard" Calculates what you would need to make in a different area to maintain the same standard of living, and tells you what percent difference employers pay in the new area so you can figure the likelihood of being able to maintain standard of living.

Warning--unless you really are moving elsewhere, don't do it--too depressing.
Old 12/19/2007, 12:41 PM
Premium Member

If you have a comfortable lifestyle in TN, STAY there. I was raised all over the country and loved southern lifestyle the most. I spent all of high school on LI. I joined the air force one year outta high school and traveled to CA and NC. I own a home in NC(Goldsboro area) and now own a house here in Middle Island as well. I make roughly 160k a year and I don't feel upper middle income like the pay should indicate. Nearly 80 bucks a week in gas for my truck. A wife and two kids. Luckily I'm not using oil for heating, but I still pay a little under $400 a month for heating gas. Electric bill just increased from this "transportation" tax. I'm LUCKY only paying 9k a year in property taxes.

Like I said, if you're comfortable down there I wouldn't pick up shop and come here. You didn't mention if you have family. If you have children it's very stressful starting all over. Good luck in your decision.
Old 12/19/2007, 08:17 PM
Premium Member

Its a fortune to live on this island but there is no other place like it in the world. Worth every penny and will never move out.
Old 12/19/2007, 08:59 PM
Obsessive Compulsive

Where on Long Island will the new branch be located and how far from it do you want to live? Then from that response you could get a better answer on where to live..
Old 12/19/2007, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

you tell em mdiack77! this has to be the single most best place you can live without having millions to travel and live on exotic islands . once you move somewhere within a week you will be bored after living in long island everything is right here. now we just need a reef!
Old 12/19/2007, 11:19 PM
Registered Member

The housing market here has taken a pretty big hit, you can actually get houses in good school districts for $450K now. They are not super and would need some work, but they are not bad either.

Also, winter is long here, trees lose their leaves in November and don't start getting them back until April. It is not warm until June. I grew up in Arizona, then lived in California, and Texas...this has been a hard transition. It is not the cold that bothers me, you just dress warm, it is the length of winter.

Rent is a lot here, as much as owning a house in some areas of the country. I don't think you will get a payment much under $4000 a month once you factor in taxes and insurance as it is right now. So take that into consideration...of course you can go as high as you would like.

The drivers here suck, especially up by me on the North Shore. It is really bad all over, but a little worse up here. Drivers were really bad in Austin also. So get ready for some jerky *** moron drivers.

If it is a great opportunity then I would say go for it, it is not bad here, but like somone said before, get ready to pay taxes like you have never done before. Don't expect to get anything in return for them either, this is definitely the land of corruption.

The summers and fall here are really nice. Even when it gets hot here it is not really hot if you are from the southern part of the US. There are some humid days that suck, but nothing you can't live with. The beaches are nice but you have to get there early, pay for parking, park far away, and then it is crowded...much better in Cali, but hey...they are beaches!

Being able to go into NYC is nice, of course getting there is a pain. The train costs way too much and is slow. Driving can be good but parking in the city is bad. Once you are there it is worth it though.

I think everyone should live in the NE US for at least a little while. It is totally different here than anywhere else. So easy to go visit another city or state (Boston, DC, Philly....Mass, Conn, RI, Penn, NJ). The people can be a little standoffish at first, but once you get to know them they are nice.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions, I would be more than happy to answer them. I moved here for a job also and have lived here for a little over 5 years now. I make good money and have a nice job, so it was definitely worth it for me.
Old 12/20/2007, 12:16 AM
Registered Member

I don't have a family, so if I am going to move to New York, this is the time. Work will be located in New Hyde Park, NY. I am really not sure where that is on the island. Are there any areas that I should avoid? Thanks for the help.

Nick
Old 12/20/2007, 12:40 AM
Registered Member

NHP isn't to bad at all .... I used to live right around there. it is starting to get alot more crowded but still not a bad area all in all
Old 12/20/2007, 12:33 PM
How many is too many?

I live right by NHP! Its an expensive area. My rent for example is 2K a month plus gas, electric etc. I rent half a house. Schools are good in this area. Taxes on the house im in are 10k a year to give you an idea. Home prices are around 500k plus. If you need any advice of the area shoot me a PM and ill help you out with whatever information you need.
Old 12/20/2007, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

New Hyde Park is almost in Queens, so I will have to take back my $450K for a decent house in a good school district, that is in Suffolk County. It is a much easier, cheaper, and faster ride into Manhattan also...which if you don't have a family is something you might be doing often!
Old 12/20/2007, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

no thanks, stay in TN there are too many people on LI already. JK
Old 12/20/2007, 08:35 PM
Obsessive Compulsive

Nick, I also live 15 min from New Hyde Park, it is in western Nassau County right on the border of Nassau and Queens. A nice central location to all parts of the island.
Old 12/20/2007, 09:42 PM
How many is too many?

Long Island is unique. Most people love to hate it LOL Its the whole love hate thing. It is a beautiful place and there is nowhere else in the world like it. Winter is long and traffic goes no where. We have the biggest parking lot in the world! Its called the Long Island Expressway LOL It is expensive no doubt and im personally not going to be here forever. Long Island youth is flocking off the island according to what you read in the papers. Affordable housing doesnt exist for middle class people. Im sure your being overwhelmed by the things that your reading. If you make good money then this is a great place to be. We have beaches and the ocean which is really great. We hjave a good share of highly reguarded public school systems but we also have very low ones too. It all depends on the area. Were conveninetly located to Manhattan although i dont know what people see in going there LOL But im born and bred here so i wouldnt see it.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:34 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by richiewwhite
you tell em mdiack77! this has to be the single most best place you can live without having millions to travel and live on exotic islands . once you move somewhere within a week you will be bored after living in long island everything is right here. now we just need a reef!
We have them - artificial reefs ( shipwrecks ) all over the place. Different from tropical coral reefs for sure, but just as exciting if you have the right training and equipment.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:36 AM
Registered Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by steelerguy
[B]The housing market here has taken a pretty big hit, you can actually get houses in good school districts for $450K now. They are not super and would need some work, but they are not bad either
[quote]

A fellow Stony Brooker I see!