Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/12/2004, 12:14 PM
Keeper(?) of Tim

You've just moved very close to the top of Tim's "People not to eat because I like them" list...

It's a shorter list and higher honor then being on the "people not to eat because they smell funny" or "people not to eat because they scare me" lists.

Zoanthid collector, Monitpoa sp. afficianado, Yuma snob and fan of the Mantis family.
Old 07/13/2004, 08:08 PM
Keeper(?) of Tim

He was feeling 'artsy' today... or something...

Zoanthid collector, Monitpoa sp. afficianado, Yuma snob and fan of the Mantis family.
Old 07/13/2004, 10:49 PM
Turning of the tide

way to express yourself Tim! I think this is the first step towards becoming the Super-Mantis you were always destined to be... good luck, we're all counting on you...
Old 07/15/2004, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

Talking

Keep this stuff coming,
love your work tim and desityman
Old 07/17/2004, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

Is it true the Stoma-Squad has been alerted of Tim's presence and they are planning a counter-attack?
Old 07/27/2004, 09:04 PM
Keeper(?) of Tim

Tim hasn't informed me of any Stoma-squad, but he does love his 'secrets.'

He's been in a constructive mood lately. I've been trying to keep his tiny ocean cleaner and he's been trying to grow larger again and continues to try and out-manuever my camera.

While Tim has often used small-frags attached to rubble in his construction projects, his latest project was truly grand. For the last three days he's been actively chipping away under his latest camera-proof shelter. This afternoon I came home to find he had chipped a fissure through (along the length of) this piece of LR to seperate a camera-block.

The mushrooms in the photo below were attached to the back-ish side of the LR he's living in. Now they have been carved away and placed to block an area I had cleared last week to make photographing him on the sand easier...

Going to have to find titanium-plated LR to replace his current LR...

Old 07/27/2004, 11:38 PM
Government Funded Reef

gotta admit it's funny though!

Support Law Enforcement!
Old 07/28/2004, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

Well, at least you don't have to get bored with a set aquascape, because with Tim around there will be always something out of place, wait, I mean made better by him.
Old 08/25/2004, 05:19 AM
Registered Member

Question Well...

Well, what is new with Tim?

Bradley C Sacs
Bellevue, WA
Old 08/25/2004, 10:45 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, whats up with Tim?????? Is he on summer vacation?
Old 08/25/2004, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

word from the underground is Tim is in hiding planning a pre-emptive strike against the Stoma-Squad... he heard they had a stockpile of WMD's.. Weapons of Mantis Destruction.

donnie
The echo of a distant tide
Comes willowing across the sand
Old 08/25/2004, 02:08 PM
Premium Member

Old 08/26/2004, 03:04 AM
Registered Member

just joined this thread after coming across it during a leisurely mantis shrimp tour of the internet, by mishap actually, another forum i'm part of was talking about lobsters so i mentioned mantis shrimp and ergo here i be. literally DensityMan and Tim brought me about to joining, and re-sparked my interest in mantis shrimps and salt water tanks.

for the most part of roundabouts a year i've been looking at stomas and thinking if i ever get a salt water tank going it's what i'd want in there due to their durability but also would love a vibrant flat worm for it but now i'm scared of flatworms after reading all the flatworm horror stories and trying to kill the buggers. since i seem to have enough troubles maintaining my fresh water tank ( dern water evaporates like the dickens ) i figure i should get more practice in on my doomed corys/tetras that refuse to die :-)

i will have to admit i came across this thread tonight and read it and all it's spurs.. graciously posted by DenisityMan... and greatly look foreward to the further adventures and tales of the life of Tim. DM you have a wonderful way with humor and words and would like to thank you for upkeeping such a marvelous set of threads.

DreX

ps, if i get started on saltwater tanking, for a beginner on the brachish depths, is a larger tank more stable than a small one?
Old 08/26/2004, 11:10 AM
Not that way, minions!!

Quote:
Originally posted by DreXor
ps, if i get started on saltwater tanking, for a beginner on the brachish depths, is a larger tank more stable than a small one?
Yes, a larger tank is much more stable than a small one. It just depends on how broke you want to be when you're done setting it up.
Old 08/26/2004, 01:12 PM
Keeper(?) of Tim

Rumors to the contrary, Tim is getting along fine with the members of the Stoma-squad. At least that's what it says in the documents I received from their lawyers dropping all assault charges and just wishing Tim a nice day. He toured with the Stoma-squad a bit over the Summer, but apparently he's more Mantis than they can handle (which does not bode well for the mantis-power reputation of the squad in my opinion... er... *ahem*).

When I awoke this morning I found little mantis tracks from Tim's castle to the keyboard. Apparently he was going to attempt an update solo, but after breaking several keys he gave up and scratched his 'text' into the top of my desk. The following is my best translation of his report:

Quote:
Originally carved onto desk by Tim Super Mantis

My Summer Vacation
by: Tim S. Mantis

Usual stuff really. Toured with Stoma-squad; what a bunch of sissies (if you snicker I will find you when you sleep and do bad things... I know people snicker about me and I want it to stop). The tank-lackey has been lazier than usual. He pretends to be busy, but I know he is intimidated by my power and chooses to avoid me whenever he can.

Some highlights of my Summer include Scaring "StrongBad" out of his shell again...

Intimidating the new ninja crustacean into wearing plants so he thinks I can't see him. I see him alright... and when his time comes... BAM!... *mantisey-grin*

My favorite project this summer was converting my boring, old, 'normal' emerald mithrax crab into a really cool, customized, BATTLE-DAMAGE emerald mithrax crab. I think he looks pretty good. You think he looks good too, even if you don't say so right away... you do... I know...

and a couple close ups of each upper 'arm' segment

Other than that I have added a couple of you regular readers to the "People I won't eat because I like them (not because they smell bad)" list. You know who you are...
He's been holed up this week hibernating through an eating binge (30 small nassarius snails in 3 weeks is definitely a binge in my book; relatively speaking)

Thanks again all and Enjoy!

Old 08/26/2004, 05:43 PM
Registered Member

Well, it would seem Tim didn't get his dinner out of mr crab, but sure appears he got even for that sissy wise crack a while ago..

something like this must be goin thru Tim's head
"I might be a sissy, but who's the punchin bag now?"

ps ... is it just me .. or does mr crabster seem to be missing an eye? ... hehehe oh lookit that, right next to the eye-hole.. "Tim was here"
Old 08/27/2004, 07:28 AM
Registered Member

i will start my first post off with a congrats to tim for taking on the emrald. This post is awesome i started it yesterday morning and by late afternoon i had gone and gotten myself a bright green mantis with red eyes any ideas on what kind that is. i had remembered someone brought him into the Fish Bowl where i work part time and he now lives in my 20g with about 11lbs of live rock and a bed of macro algae any recomendations on keeping him and if i get ahold of another mantis can he join we shall call him " Ted " ? i will be adding coral and i guess some snails for snacks. he is maybe a little longer than an inch how big will he get? thanks for the help and kick that emeralds a** Tim.
Old 08/27/2004, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

i would say ted is living up to tim expectations i just saw him grab a live baby hermit crab and take him into his chamber under the live rock and crack at his shell. still waiting on an ID
Old 08/27/2004, 09:44 AM
Registered Member

your prolly gonna need to post up a pic in order to get a good ID...might also try checking out the lurkers guide to stomatapods ......do a google search for since I dont have the URL handy...
Nick
Old 08/27/2004, 09:45 AM
Premium Member

start a new thread with a pic, or a very good description (incl. meral spots) and you'll get good responses. Dr. Roy will usually help you out with an ID, when he can.

WELCOME to REEF CENTRAL!!!!

LT
Old 08/27/2004, 11:38 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
...might also try checking out the lurkers guide to stomatapods ......
Lurker's guide
Old 09/01/2004, 01:36 AM
Keeper(?) of Tim

With the number of hitchhiker cast-offs recently added to Tim's abode, one coule almost assume that Tim had taken out an ad for roommates (he may have actually... hrm...)

Anyway, short update tonight from Still-wet-up-to-my-elbows-ville. Tonights lucky roommates lottery winners are...

- Red (because it's late and that's all I got)

and...

- Spike (again, need I mention how late it is for me?)

See how long it takes Tim to start making customizations on his new toys... er... roommates.

Camo-guy, StrongBad and 'Crackle' (the customized emerald crab) are all doing well; especially Camo-guy.

Tanks been (FINALLY) rearranged again to better suit my wishes regarding burrow viewability. Tim will hate it of course, but I think I've finally arranged all the rocks to ensure he has to face the front regardless of which burrow he uses. *GRIN*

That "*GRIN*" won't last too long, of course. He'll find some place to use as a burrow that I still won't be able to photograph... /sigh

Anyway, gonna go dry my hands and crawl into bed now...

Enjoy!

Old 09/01/2004, 01:38 AM
Registered Member

Nah, he'll just make a new hole cuz he's Tim.
Over 200 lbs of Fiji Live Rock
PM Ca Reactor
Custom dual Sedra 5000 Recirc Skimmer
Old 09/01/2004, 06:59 AM
Registered Member

Question Hey...

Are you now using two AquaClear Mini power filters? Just wondering.

Bradley C Sacs
Bellevue, WA
Old 09/01/2004, 07:26 AM
Keeper(?) of Tim

I am not (yet). Definitely not a bad suggestion though...

The filtration is still lacking in his tank and I can't seem to beat the evil dinofillangates (sp?). Maybe a tiny skimmer is in order, but I just can't deal with the noise of that out in the open.

On the horizon I plan on building an enclosed stand for a 20 gallon long (29 gallon footprint) and converting his current 10 gallon into a sump/fuge. When that is finished I may finally add a small skimmer when I can hide it away...