Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/07/2007, 07:25 PM
Premium Member

OT: Scuba vacation recommendation

We are looking to take a vacation sometime soon and want to go to a location known for some excellent scuba diving. We are not looking to collect anything. I've got a Navy Diver certification but my husband doesn't really have any training. Anyone have any recommendations?
Old 10/07/2007, 08:33 PM
Pufferkrazy!

You will need an Open Certification card to dive anywhere. A few of my favorites are Roatan Honduras, Bonaire & Curacao. I like these the best, because you can dive right from the shore, in addition to short boat dives to other reefs. If you war interested in the best resorts, I can let you know.
Old 10/07/2007, 09:08 PM
Discontented Reefer

Some of the most beautiful diving I have done was in Little Cayman; but outside of diving there isn't much else to do except drink and get a suntan. I'd also recommend Grand Cayman's North Wall and there is much more to do on that island. I'd skip Cayman Brac.

I'd also skip Roatan island in the Honduras.

Belize is reportedly an awesome dive location and there is plenty to do above and below water.
Old 10/07/2007, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

re

I agree with Pufferpunk

But I would also add St. john great place to go, some of the best diving and great prices if you rent a boat for the week. also the night life is great.

Quote:
Originally posted by Pufferpunk
You will need an Open Certification card to dive anywhere. A few of my favorites are Roatan Honduras, Bonaire & Curacao. I like these the best, because you can dive right from the shore, in addition to short boat dives to other reefs. If you war interested in the best resorts, I can let you know.
Old 10/08/2007, 05:19 AM
Premium Member

Don't know how far you want to go, but I have went down just off shore of almost all of the continents in the world and by far, the Red Sea is the best. I have to admit, I have not gone diving on the Great Barrier Reef, but I have went with those that have been to both the RS and the GBR and they agree with me.....the Red Sea is the best. I believe that there are no direct flights to the Sinai so you will have to go to Cairo and then get over to the Sinai (Sharm Al Sheikh). The last time I was there, there were only two dive operators, but I understand that the place has boomed. I have also heard some very good things about the Maldives (again, a 24 to 30 hour transition to get there). I have done a few live-aboards and they are great. Don't take the cheap way out on this. Get a good quality boat (do your research) and you will have a great time, with no sand in your trunks.
Old 10/08/2007, 08:43 AM
Registered Member

I don't dive - yet - however, I have heard that Belize has some great diving. Puerto Vallarta is supposed to have some good diving as well.

You could always go to Australia. Now that would be a trip!
Old 10/08/2007, 09:39 AM
Pufferkrazy!

I have to agree, in my 10 years of diving, the Red Sea was the best. Just figured you wanted to at least start out a little closer/cheaper. I went to Egypt with Bob Fenner & the WetWeb Media crew & the cost was on them! I don't think I could have afforded it otherwise.
Old 10/08/2007, 12:05 PM
Premium Member

Maybe a package deal to the Red Sea. I am continually amazed on how cheap some of the packages can be.

Good luck
Old 10/08/2007, 01:08 PM
CERTIFIED REEF BUM

try this
Old 10/08/2007, 01:43 PM
OT JUGgler

The Maldives!!!!! You can take classes while you are there and get PADI certified.
Old 10/08/2007, 02:00 PM
Premium Member

The most fun I have diving is in BonAire. I have been diving since age 11 (now 27 years)... all over the place. I have been twice to BonAire now. The diving is very very good, not quite South Pacific or Red Sea. BUT...

it is mostly shore diving. Your hotel will have tanks in lockers. To dive, you get a map, load however many tanks in your little truck, and go find the numbered rock on the shore that corresponds to your map. Jump in. You want to do five dives a day? NO problem. You feeling lazy and just want to jump off the dock and do a little 80 ft. dive... no problem. Want to dive at 3 a.m. and see some tarpon? No problem.

No dive masters. No signing up for times. No crowds. No swimming against current. No decompression stops (you simply make your way along the shallows back to the shore... here is where you can look for corals, octopi, cuttle fish). No boats, no seasickness.. No guy from (insert your least favorite city here) who derails the whole dive to find a Sea Horse... no getting up at five a.m. to get in the water at 8 30, you and your friends / spouse, at your own pace, on your own time and have your own little adventures. Truly relaxing. At this point, I can barely stand to get on a crowded dive boat.

If you do wish to have guided dives, this is available too. There are plenty of instructors around if you need to certify. I love the place.

Cheers.

RGM
Old 10/08/2007, 02:13 PM
CMAS Member!

Talk to Evelyn at H2Go Scuba in oak park. Here's there web site. Great dive masters and a wonderfull course.
H2go Scuba Shop

They even run a trip you can go on if you want to go with a group you know.
Hope this helps.
Carl

I just finished taking there class and am going to Maui next week on my honeymoon.
Old 10/08/2007, 02:16 PM
Pufferkrazy!

I wouldn't suggest diving w/o a dive master, if you're new.

Carl, How was your diving? Did you go already? I've been trying to IM you.
Old 10/08/2007, 02:34 PM
Premium Member

Roatan Honduras. Can fly right to the island on American or Continental. Just returned from Anthony's Key and it was fantastic. Very reasonable and great waters.
Old 10/08/2007, 02:35 PM
Pufferkrazy!

How were the noseeums? We were viciously attacked on our last trip there. Hubby had hundreds of bites.

Where'd you stay?
Old 10/08/2007, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

GBR near Carins. You can see the bottom at close to 100 meters. Clownfish everywhere. All types of corals, butterflies and clams. A few sharks too.

John
Old 10/08/2007, 10:55 PM
Premium Member

Cozumel has good bang for the buck and a quick trip in and out. For a first dive trip, this might be a good option.
Old 10/09/2007, 12:06 AM
Registered Member

Grand Cayman......If you are wanting to stay fairly close to the US
Old 10/09/2007, 01:20 PM
Registered Member

I didn't scuba, I snorkeled, but either way, it was awesome. Also there were plenty of people that were skubaing.

Molakini Island, right off of Maui. Absolutely gorgeous! You are snorkeling and scuba diving into a reef that is in the middle of an underwater volcano. Just awesome!

I also snorkeled there in a place they call turtle town (in Maui) because of the large population of green sea turtles that go there. You litteraly can swim right next to a wild turtle for 20-30 minutes, as long as you don't try to touch them.

My wife and I swam no more then 5 feet from one for about a half hour, then some 8 year old came by and tried to touch him. The turtle took a nose dive under a rock and that was the last we saw of him
2 Firefish Gobies
Occ. Percula Clownfish
Blue Hepatus Tang
Blue Sided Wrasse
Purple Line Dottyback
Fire Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp

Last edited by steri; 10/09/2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10/09/2007, 07:55 PM
Premium Member

Fiji - amazing.

Taviuni and the Great White Wall!
Old 10/10/2007, 12:54 AM
Registered Member

Given unlimited resources I'd love to do Indonesia, check out the pics on this website:
http://www.kararu.com/gallery/index.html

I just booked a trip to Curacao - never been but it looks awesome. Lodge Hura Kulanda looks like a great spot (that is where I booked), not to sabatoge, but anyone ever been to this location?
Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,
4 Tunze Nanostreams Modded,
retros: 400w MH + 4x39w 36" T5
Old 10/10/2007, 01:01 AM
Pufferkrazy!

I've been there 3x. Stay at Captain Don's Habitat. Free tanks for shore diving. Dive anytime you want. Jump in off the pier & the reef's right there. Follow a rope out, then go left or right. at 1500 psi, swim back to the rope & up to shore. Easiest diving I've ever done.

They offer 2 boat dives/day (2 sites each dive) & 1 boat night dive, as part of the package.
Old 10/10/2007, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
I've been there 3x. Stay at Captain Don's Habitat. Free tanks for shore diving. Dive anytime you want. Jump in off the pier & the reef's right there. Follow a rope out, then go left or right. at 1500 psi, swim back to the rope & up to shore. Easiest diving I've ever done.

They offer 2 boat dives/day (2 sites each dive) & 1 boat night dive, as part of the package.
Already booked at Lodge Hura Kulanda, but that sounds awesome! I read the lodge has the best diving off its beaches, but no free tanks, that is a deal! Did you dive the mushroom forest? I've never dived before and am thinking that will be my first.

Also, is the Sea Aquarium worth it? Hate to go to a "touristy" place, but it does look really cool, and I kinda want to feed the sharks
Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,
Old 10/10/2007, 11:33 AM
Pufferkrazy!

Mushroom forest is great. Can you cancell that reservation? Even if you lose some $$$, it's well worth the stay at CD w/free tanks & unlimited shore diving. Tanks can cost as much as $8/dive!. Do they even have shore diving?

You can't miss the Aquarium there! One of the best times ever! You dive in a 12' bay area, feeding stingrays, giant grouper/Jewfish, giant angelfish, tarpon, snappers, etc. Then you swim over to a thick plexiglass wall with holes in it & hand feed nurse & reeef sharks, over 5' long. Then swim over to another section & feed giant sea turtles & 3' puffers. If you have non-divers, they can snorkle it. They'll film the whole thing for you & I recommend getting that too. No one will believe you hand fed sharks! If you want, I can show you my film.
Old 10/11/2007, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Mushroom forest is great. Can you cancell that reservation? Even if you lose some $$$, it's well worth the stay at CD w/free tanks & unlimited shore diving. Tanks can cost as much as $8/dive!. Do they even have shore diving?

You can't miss the Aquarium there! One of the best times ever! You dive in a 12' bay area, feeding stingrays, giant grouper/Jewfish, giant angelfish, tarpon, snappers, etc. Then you swim over to a thick plexiglass wall with holes in it & hand feed nurse & reeef sharks, over 5' long. Then swim over to another section & feed giant sea turtles & 3' puffers. If you have non-divers, they can snorkle it. They'll film the whole thing for you & I recommend getting that too. No one will believe you hand fed sharks! If you want, I can show you my film.
probably too late to cancel, and we got the ocean view suite, so my girlfriend would probably kill me if I did

I think we have really good diving right off shore at lodge kura hulanda, just no free tanks (since we'll be first time divers, we may do a fair amount of snorkeling too).

I will definitely check out the sea aquarium then, sounds like I should plan on spending one day there. Do you have the vid on youtube by chance?
Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,