Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/13/2007, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

Flower Anemone vs. Midas Blenny

I have a large flower anemone that my husband is accusing of eating my midas blenny. Does anyone know if these things will survive in the sump? I'd hate to kill it, and I don't want to give it away to someone else if it's a fish eater.
Old 10/13/2007, 04:05 PM
Registered Member

They need good light. We have a couple in our tank. They've never eaten any fish though.
Old 10/13/2007, 04:14 PM
Registered Member

I should add that we did have one eat a blue mushroom that was too close to it and unattached. It ate if for a couple of hours then coughed it up.

Funny thing was the mushroom seemed to come out better than it went in! A couple days later it looked good then later on it split...which it never did before.

If you think it might have eaten the fish just recently you might be able to see it in the anemone. That's how we figured out where the mushroom went....dark blob in the foot/body of the anemone.

This was a beaded rock anemone...very simliar.

If you really want to get rid of it I'd be interested in it.
Old 10/13/2007, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

Yeah... I've had a 8" Epicystis crucifer in a nano for several years that never ate a fish.
If it did "cough one up" (which is what it would do because like stated above they really can't digest large pieces of anything, much less entire fish) I would guess that what it got a hold of a was already dead or nearly.
They don't have a very powerful sting, so unless a fish was very sick or all together lifeless I don't think I could see my monster taking one. I even have starfish that scooch right over her all the time with no harm done.
Old 10/13/2007, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

I don't think it ate the blenny either. I think the blenny died in the rockwork someplace. But, I have to admit that the stem of the anemone was suspiciously large the day we noticed the blenny missing.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 10/18/2007, 09:01 PM
Registered Member

can pick it up if you still have it