Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 06/28/2004, 10:12 PM
Moved On

the setting really depends on what you intend for the O3 to do. for long term your current settings are good, but you need to reach them slowly letting the tank come up a 25 mv per week or so.

for just water clairity just turn it 20 mv higher then the tank current settings.

kc
Old 06/29/2004, 07:20 AM
King Valida

I did as Dragon_Slayer said-- slowly brought mine up from around 345 to 380 in just over a week....

I finally set mine to 400mv...

Just to be safe, I'd say taise it slowly, but I don't really know if it would hurt anything to bring it up quickly (as long as you don't go too high).
Beckett Mod Skimmer
AmpMaster 3000 Pump
Old 06/29/2004, 01:09 PM
Premium Member

As for setting or even use of a controller; Do you have to be as concerned with the smaller Enaly unit hooked up to the JG interface on the AquaC skimmer. The output from the skimmer also goes through a carbon treatment before reentering the sump. I would beleive that most of it would go to atmosphere and the carbon before entering the sump.
Old 06/29/2004, 07:57 PM
Moved On

if you constantly pump it in without control you will eventualy compleatly kill and steralize everyting in the system, why on earth would you want to do that?

kc
Old 06/30/2004, 11:24 AM
Premium Member

Wouldn't most it the ozone get blown off by the skimmer though.

I don't have the budget to afford a controller right now, this is why I ask. How about an x10 timer that comes on for 15 minutes every 2 hours or so?
Old 06/30/2004, 11:39 AM
King Valida

Left over ozone is only one concern (and that's why people use carbon)
You still need some way to monitor your ORP so you know that your're not going too high-- ORP levels too high will bleach/kill everything you have in there.

Without some way to monitor your current ORP you are playing russian rulette with your corals.

Edit:
BTW There was a good article back in December in the ReefKeeping magazine: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-1...ture/index.htm
Beckett Mod Skimmer
AmpMaster 3000 Pump
Old 06/30/2004, 03:29 PM
Onizzle Rizzle

Just ordered an aquacontroller and an enaly ozone generator. I am wondering if you can throttle down the output of the ozone generator with some type of valve. I am planning on attaching this to my skimmer using a "T" into the venturi line.
Quote:
I have it connected to an X-10 device controlled by my AquaController II, and it seems to raise havoc with the X-10, turning off shortly after turning on. I suspect the interference is caused by the internal ballast or something.
I have been using x10 modules to control my lights and am planning on using them to control the ozone generator as well. I did have some problems with the 2 prong x10 appliance module, but the the 3 prong modules seem to work fine (even if you are only using a 2 prong plug). Just curious which module you are using?
Old 06/30/2004, 03:41 PM
King Valida

Jim,
Because it has a built in air pump, it would not be possible to throttle down the output from the unit with out potentially harming the unit.
Beckett Mod Skimmer
AmpMaster 3000 Pump
Old 06/30/2004, 05:12 PM
Premium Member

Also, if you throttled the air output, you would just increase the ozone density of the air that did come from the unit.
Old 06/30/2004, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

Dragon_slayer,
Do you have any issues with line noise from your Enaly unit affecting your Aquacontroller?
Maybe what Jimwat mentioned plays a factor on the issue itself?
Old 06/30/2004, 06:07 PM
Moved On

with the controller you wont need to cut the output back any, the only difference it makes is how fast the controller has to turn it on/off.

FWIW everyone i've known to use any type of X-10 has had problems with the O3 generators unless they are the UV bulb type.

Tang, i dont use an AC, i just cant put the life of my tank in the hands of a single controller. and $9 digital wal-mart timers work great for lights and my Tunze's are controlled by the 7094, the PinPoint controls ORP and everything else runs 24/7.

hth
kc
Old 07/02/2004, 03:23 PM
Onizzle Rizzle

Quote:
Jim,
Because it has a built in air pump, it would not be possible to throttle down the output from the unit with out potentially harming the unit.
and
Quote:
Also, if you throttled the air output, you would just increase the ozone density of the air that did come from the unit.
Ok, riddle me this. What if before the valve I had a "T" that split some of the ozone to a diffuser in a jug of "waste" water? This would, of course, waste some of the ozone, but it would allow me run a smaller dose to my tank and would help keep the AC from switching the generator on and off. What do you think?
Old 07/02/2004, 03:25 PM
King Valida

I really don't think that unit will make enough ozone to make it worth doing that
Beckett Mod Skimmer
AmpMaster 3000 Pump
Old 07/02/2004, 03:33 PM
Onizzle Rizzle

I am only concerned because I had read some other threads that suggested that using this size of generator might be problematic. Since this unit will be connected to my sump/refuge, I was concerned about detrimental effects on my critter population.
Old 07/03/2004, 04:05 PM
Moved On

FWIW crawling all over my skimmer and in the compartment it sits in are a few million pods and i dont have the output from the unit cut back any at all, i really dont think you'll find any problems with it at full blast

kc
Old 07/04/2004, 09:38 AM
Onizzle Rizzle

Cool! Thanks.
Old 07/04/2004, 12:28 PM
Premium Member

For those who have the ACII controlling this ozonizer, and had problems with X-10 interference like me, I got the Filterlinc 5 amp from SmartHome.com and connected the standard X-10 controller to it. It seems to be working great and keeps the ozonizer from causing havoc on my X-10 devices.

Highly recommend the Filterlinc on this if you use X-10 or ACII to control.

Cheers
Old 07/06/2004, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

Couple questions hopefully some of you can help with. Anyone use a Milwaukee controller? These are the cheapest I have found ($99 at premiumaquatics). Second, I have an older AquaC EV90 skimmer (before the ozone port was added). Can I just run the ozone into one of the air intake holes? Should I put a piece of ridgid airline tubing there and silicone it in place? I plan to use a luft pump for the airpump. On the ozonizers, when it is turned off, does it still allow air to pass through the unit?
Old 07/12/2004, 10:55 AM
Onizzle Rizzle

Just an update. I got my AC II and Enaly generator installed this weekend. I am using the AC II to monitor the tank for now and am planning to use it to control my my tank via X10 once I have a handle on how everything is going to work.

I was playing around with the generator over the weekend and here is how it went. I first installed the generator to my skimmer with a 'T'. I set up the line with a bypass, so I could divert some of the ozone (to a diffuser in a jug of water). I started by letting the ozone run at about 1/2 flow for 15 minutes and watched my ORP reading. No change. I slowly started to incease the amount of ozone and the run times over a span of several hours and monitored my ORP readings. What I found was that with the ozone at 100% my ORP readings would increase 2-3 mV per hour. FYI - My tanks total water volume is about 90 gallons and I have a Prism Pro hang on skimmer. Anyway, I feel pretty confident that the Enaly unit is not going to "over-sterilize" my system in its current configuration. BTW, my skimmer would not produce skimmate with the ozone running.

I have x10 modules for my lights and have installed new modules for the generator and my kalk drip. I appears the generator has some type of effect on the x10 transceiver module. Basically, NONE of my x10 devices would work after a period of time with the generator running. By resetting the transceiver (unplugging it and plugging it back in), everthing worked fine. I will be buying one of the filters from Smarthome to see if this corrects the problem.
Old 07/12/2004, 10:23 PM
Premium Member

I can vouch for the X-10 noise filters. Tip--check SmartHome.com's online auctions. They offer a good deal vs. the reg price.

Good luck!
Old 07/15/2004, 08:39 AM
Registered Member

O3 and AquaController

I have an Aquacontroller II. Just ordered the Enley O3 unit with pump so bumping. Will post my experiences when all is running. Note that ORP is now about 290.

George
Old 08/05/2005, 08:02 AM
V 'The Full Monti' V

Any news about Aquacontroller with the Enaly unit ReefAddict & gefrankle?
Old 08/05/2005, 09:00 PM
Premium Member

I upgraded to the Red Sea ozonizer which doesn't interfere at all with X-10. Absolutely no problems since I installed it. I just didn't have any luck with the X-10 filters working consistently.

I do notice that the AquaController ORP probe frequently gives lower than accurate readings. I have to dip it almost every other week in vinegar which brings it back to normal.

Anyone have similar issues with the AC probe? Is there a better quality one out there?
Old 08/06/2005, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

If you can't afford an $80 ORP controller, then skip the whole ozone thing and save your pennies. I hooked up an Enaly (without pump) to my EuroReef skimmer (w/ a T) with a homemade air dryer on what was the input air end of the Enaly. Remember that ORP controllers take a few days to stabilize after you first get them, so I wouldnt run ozone until then. I was able to shoot up my ORP reading (92 gal tank) from 250mv to 350mv in probably 15 minutes. I have now raised things to 400mv and to be honest, I do not need to run it very often at all to maintain that reading. In fact, most of the time I just leave the ozone unit off and manually turn it on if the ORP has dropped much below 400mv. Perhaps the probe is dirty since it stays pretty stable, but I'd rather under-ozone then over-ozone.
Old 08/06/2005, 02:50 PM
Premium Member

So back to the original topic. lol Has anyone used the coralife Ozonizers?