Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/15/2007, 07:23 AM
Word

Help taking good full tank shots

This is something that I have a lot of problems with. I just can't seem to get a good full tank shot. I can get decent macro pics but the second I back away from the tank all my pics stink! The colors in these pics are terrible. Here's my latest FTS. My camera is a canon xt with the kit lens 18-55mm. I also have the canon 100mm macro lens at my disposal.

Both of these pics were taken with a tripod and a 10 second delay. Also all the pumps were turned off.

Old 08/15/2007, 09:27 AM
RC Mod

Those pics don't stink- they're real sharp. The exposure is close- maybe a tiny bit too bright but not bad. They're good enough that you could make them excellent in an editing program. Did you take them in RAW mode? Your color issues can be dealt with best on the computer, in the RAW conversion.
Old 08/15/2007, 09:40 AM
Word

Yes I took them in RAW and converted them to jpeg with DXO optics pro.
Old 08/15/2007, 09:44 AM
RC Mod

What software do you use to edit the pics with?
Old 08/15/2007, 09:50 AM
Word

I only use dxo to edit. The program converts the pics from raw to jpeg and cleans them up a bit automatically. I don't have any other programs.
Old 08/15/2007, 09:57 AM
RC Mod

You can do a good amount of tweaking with the free program Irfanview. It's a good program. I did some minor adjusting and came up with this:
I don't know if you like this any better but mostly all I did was darken the image. If you had photoshop I'd run you thru the steps but since you don't I'd suggest adjusting the exposure in DXO. I'm not familiar with that program though
Old 08/15/2007, 12:07 PM
Unregistered Member

The picture looks good, the only thing is that there seems to be a lot of floating particle things. Or am I just going crazy?

The name's Luis. Don't ask.
Old 08/15/2007, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

quite a difference in the color levels though.
Old 08/17/2007, 08:36 AM
Word

Gregr - that looks a lot better. I'm going to take a few pics today and see if I can get the colors to look better.
Old 08/17/2007, 08:37 AM
Word

Quote:
Originally posted by edwing206
The picture looks good, the only thing is that there seems to be a lot of floating particle things. Or am I just going crazy?
Your right about particles in the water. I just did a water change right before I took that pic.
Old 08/18/2007, 05:54 AM
Word

Here's the same pic as above but I chaged the color temp from 7000 to 14000 and I adjusted the exposure.

Old 08/18/2007, 09:41 AM
RC Mod

Looks a lot better. There might be a very slight green cast to the whole image. Depending on the software you can get rid of it by making a very small adjustment to the hue, or if there are color sliders go from green towards magenta- but just a tiny bit.