Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/04/2006, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

Location: East of the Mississippi, north of the mason dixon line
Lets see your dwarf Lionfish

Here's a pic of my Fu Manchu:

And a short video of him:

Old 12/05/2006, 12:01 PM
Girl Geek

Never really liked those until I saw your pic. Very nice!
Old 12/05/2006, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by techigirl78
Never really liked those until I saw your pic. Very nice!
TY techi. Believe it or not, he's got a personality.

swimmer
Old 12/06/2006, 02:39 AM
Registered Member

Nice video
Old 12/06/2006, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

TY sun

Come on folks. RC is sporting OVER 141,000 members. The odds are that I'm not the only one with a dwarf lion

Post those pix.

swimmer
Old 12/06/2006, 05:55 PM
Premium Member

I love the Fu Manchu, i will probably be picking one up some time in january.
Old 01/02/2007, 12:32 PM
Premium Member

very cute! like a grumpy old man!
Old 01/02/2007, 05:50 PM
Registered Member

Here a dwarf zebra lion I owned last years. I never convinced him to turn to frozen food and he finally died after 8 month...

I now own a Devil Lionfish. He is not consider as a dwarf lion, even if he stay relatively small for a Pterois. Here's a pic of him.

Old 01/02/2007, 08:11 PM
Registered Member

I have a 29g Oceanic bio cube..and i may get a eel or a lion fish...dwarf..i was wondering if i could get one for my size tank..and if it would be cool to have both or one or the other..curntly i have a clarki clown and a cc starfish..i have to get rid of the cc....and i have 1 damsel

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,but by the moments that take our breath away. ~Unknown

----->Danm My Spel Cheker<---------
Old 01/02/2007, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

IMO, 29 gal is definitely too small for a lion and/or a eel. They will rapidly outgrow the tank...
Old 01/02/2007, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

IMO people have had eels in 24g aqua pods...and have dwarf lions in a 24g to...now tell me ...last ive known..24 is bigger then 29...so i was just wanted to make sure but ur help was not what i was looking for

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,but by the moments that take our breath away. ~Unknown

----->Danm My Spel Cheker<---------
Old 01/03/2007, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

Can you tell us why u posted if help is not what you were looking for? 29 is larger (gallons) than 24 was that a typo?...

I have a 30 gallon and in my opinion it is to small for just about every thing....i want to get a 55g to transfer my 30g stock to.
Mandrin
seahorses x 2
hermit crabs
perc. clown
purple/yellow fish
Old 01/03/2007, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

3fins, a snowflake eel can grow up to 2'...you really think a 29g is enough larger for that type of fish??? Same things for the lion...even the smallest dwarf grow to 6-8"...a 29g is enough for is first month of life, but not more... sorry if that was not what you want to hear but thats the reality...you can survive in a closet, but can you really live in a closet??? Same thing for the fish...
Old 01/03/2007, 07:35 PM
Girl Geek

Dwarf golden moray eel could probably go in a 29 gallon, but they are expensive and I wouldn't put it with the damsel and clownfish.

Many recommendations online state that a 30 gal is a min for the dwarf and fu manchu. Even the reefkeeping article on lionfish (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php) indicates 30 gal, so I was just wondering if people are against it because of the other tankmates or because the tank size recommendations are underestimated?
Old 01/03/2007, 07:46 PM
Girl Geek

BTW - Nice lionfish Pixie.
Old 01/03/2007, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Technigirl!
For the debate about the eel and dwarf in a 29gal, I admit that I forgot the dwarf golden moray, wich can be perfect for a 29gallon. But that was the only one who can fit in this volume. For the dwarf lion, IMO, the tank size recommendations are underestimated and for my part, I will never put a lion(dwarf or not) in a so small volume. 3fins asked an opinion, I gived it mine. So, he can do what he want with is tank, that was not my business.
Old 01/16/2007, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

I have been looking at my LFS for a dwarf zebra and last night I found this one. He's only about 2 1/2 - 3" but I just couldn't turn him down for $18! He is in my 75 with a fairly large gold strip maroon with a smaller male mate, a medium flame angel, reef chromis (which I know may one day become food) and a small snowflake eel. I hope I will be able to get him converted over to frozen food. He went in the tank last night - do you guys/girls think I should try to feed him tonight or wait until tomorrow night? I plan on trying ghost shrimp first to get him eating then trying to intoduce raw shrimp, frozen krill. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated -

I love my family but I hate family reunions.
Family reunions are that time when you come
face to face with your family tree and realize
some branches need to be cut off.
Old 01/17/2007, 11:49 PM
Registered Member

Patrick beautiful dwarf. That's a tough task you have ahead. My Fu Manchu still doesn't eat frozen. I feed him gut packed ghost shrimp.

With an eel in the same tank, you might have a difficult time just getting the dwarf to eat. Keep us posted. I'm very curious to see how well he makes out. I hope the eel doesn't steal all the food before the dwarf gets any.

swimmer
Old 01/18/2007, 12:35 AM
Registered Member

Thank you! Yeh me too! He got 2 ghost shrimp last night. The eel wasn't very interested in them, or he just didn't see them. I fed the eel first also. Then tonight I put a guppie in the tank and I believe the lion got it. They both went behind the rocks and only the lion came out and had a fat spot on his stomach. I put another couple ghost shrimp in but they found hiding places in the rock. I am hoping he will start to come out a little more in the open when I start to feed. He is still very timid. That sure would make things a little easier. If the eel becomes a problem I will find it a new home. I really want to keep this guy. I can always get another eel.

Does anyone know how hard it is to breed ghost shrimp? It sure would be easier to breed them then to go get them all the time. How long should I expect them to live? both in the 10 gallon I hold them in and once I put them in the marine environment?

How often should I be feeding the lion? And how much can I expect him to eat?

how long have you had your lion swimmer?? What tank mates does he have?

Thanks in advance for the help!

I love my family but I hate family reunions.
Family reunions are that time when you come
face to face with your family tree and realize
some branches need to be cut off.
Old 01/18/2007, 10:59 AM
Registered Member

I've had my lion for about four months now. I find that feeding him a few times a week works well. Will he eat more often? Probably, but like you said, the logistics of getting ghost shrimp continually from the LFS is a pita. I haven't set up a small tank to keep a supply on hand. I might have to set up a 5 gallon tank though.

I don't know anyone who breeds ghost shrimp. I think it's possible, just not worth my effort. I believe you can keep them alive in a freshwater or actually a heavy brine (but less than our saltwater) tanks for as long as you maintain the conditions (temp, pH, water changes). IMO if you keep them in a briney water for holding, they'll live longer in the reef when you feed them to your lion. Not that they should live very long in that tank

My lion is in a tank all by himself. Small tank (16g), lots of LPS and softies. He's the king of the castle, master of his domain

swimmer
Old 01/18/2007, 05:23 PM
Premium Member

my fuzzy

Old 01/18/2007, 05:26 PM
Premium Member

another

Old 01/21/2007, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

Michael43,
Not trying to be rude but your dwarf has pretty cloudy eyes, this is the first sign of poor water quality. I had the same problem with my hawaiian dwarf zebra. I started doing 30% water changes in a 125g, til his eyes cleared up, and have been doing 30% week since. Seems to have taken care of the problem...Just thought I would let you know!!

Will try to post a pic of him, he was little when I got him, about 3-4", now he's every bit of 8". I have had him for almost a yr, he eats silversides, krill, clam pieces, squid, other fish !!

Do not dwell on the past, improve the future!! ~ Marie Buckingham
Old 01/21/2007, 10:24 PM
Registered Member

Marie, very good observation IMO. I would think Michael should be grateful for that callout. Not rude at all, as far as I can see.

swimmer
Old 01/21/2007, 11:01 PM
Premium Member

u werent rude...

I see what you mean and looked at the fish and his eyes are really not cloudy. i think it was the camera flash or it is better since the pic was taken a week ago. i just checked all my water parameters and all is near perfect... thanx for the observation!

Quote:
Originally posted by MBuck
Michael43,
Not trying to be rude but your dwarf has pretty cloudy eyes, this is the first sign of poor water quality. I had the same problem with my hawaiian dwarf zebra. I started doing 30% water changes in a 125g, til his eyes cleared up, and have been doing 30% week since. Seems to have taken care of the problem...Just thought I would let you know!!

Will try to post a pic of him, he was little when I got him, about 3-4", now he's every bit of 8". I have had him for almost a yr, he eats silversides, krill, clam pieces, squid, other fish !!