Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/14/2005, 08:34 AM
Premium Member

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...81#post6282281
Old 12/14/2005, 08:34 AM
Ehhhhhhh......

Travis--glad to hear that it looks like the "saga" is coming to an end for you.
Old 12/14/2005, 08:35 AM
Ehhhhhhh......

Yes!!!

Just call me melev.

Now I'll have to go start working on Lunch's.
Old 12/14/2005, 09:09 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

otolith - yeah i saw what your was pulling out and it was nasy. i can't get mine to pull hard...but it was quite oversized for my 58gal tank i wanted travis to see what it would do on a bigger tank...guess i know now i'll be keeping that skimmer for when i upgrade!

melev is gone visiting family i think i heard...you stepped up and replaced him quite well. only problem is he posts pics at least weekly....you'll need to step up or resign from you duties

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 12/14/2005, 10:12 AM
Premium Member

Travis I,m glad you getting taking care of .
Old 12/14/2005, 12:44 PM
Premium Member

asnatlas, After I get the skimmer from Scott, I will be dealing with Gary exclusively. This was already confirmed between Gary and me. So any service/warranty issues that come up will be handled by Gary. The BK does have a warranty. I asked Gary about it back before I committed to going with a BK. But I don't remember exactly what it was. I will check back through my emails and see if I can find out.

Lunch, the RM is able to pull the same consistency. The Sedra is just underpowered compared to that SP pump on the ER. The next time I dump the ER cup I will throw the air valve on the Sedra and see what it is pulling throttled wide open. The flange may have a little to do with it, but probably not much. Not only is your tank a lot smaller but even with the size of tank you have, the bioload is very light. So you probably just don't have the nutrients in the water to get dark skimmate, and I wouldn't consider that a bad thing.

otolith, your RM skimmer did have some nasty skimmate in its cup. How long does it take to fill the cup in yours? When we were at Bob's I saw the skimmate in his cup and it was equally as nasty, if not worse. Couldn't really see into Stan's skimmer because it was all covered in algae, and looked like it probably hadn't been cleaned for a while. I wish his chamber had been cleaner so I could have seen what kind of bubbles and the density that was being produced by the 4 Sedras.

Lunch (again): I think it would be a good idea to hold onto your RM skimmer for when you upgrade. I think it would do fine on a much larger tank than yours. What is that skimmer rated for anyways?
Old 12/14/2005, 12:48 PM
Premium Member

asnatlas, I checked through my saved emails and didn't find the answer about the warranty. I must have discussed that with Gary over the phone.
Old 12/14/2005, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis
asnatlas, After I get the skimmer from Scott, I will be dealing with Gary exclusively. This was already confirmed between Gary and me. So any service/warranty issues that come up will be handled by Gary. The BK does have a warranty. I asked Gary about it back before I committed to going with a BK. But I don't remember exactly what it was. I will check back through my emails and see if I can find out.
That is good, I just wanted to make sure that was looked into so down the road you don't have another problem
Old 12/14/2005, 03:33 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

Travis - love the picture of you two min pins leo and ...crap can't remember the others name they are the best doorbell ever

glad to hear that it is working well and pulling hard! i'll definately keep it for a bigger tank. it is rated at 100gallons on RM website. i think that would about right or a little on the light side...afterall it is only a 6" skimmer

please do throw the air flow meter on the sedra and see what it is doing for air.

thanks
Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 12/14/2005, 05:50 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lunchbucket
Travis - love the picture of you two min pins leo and ...crap can't remember the others name they are the best doorbell ever
Not only a good doorbell, but as a common courtesy all guests are guaranteed a free "lickdown".
Old 12/14/2005, 07:57 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

true true!!

you get the check today?

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 12/14/2005, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
true true!!

you get the check today?

Lunchbucket
No, he stated the following a few replies back (page 40 before split)...

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis
My final decision has been made. I'm telling Scott to just hold onto the check and send me the skimmer when it comes in, which should be in the next few days.
Old 12/14/2005, 10:08 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

oops..i forgot about that

hope you hear friday that here is a BK 400 waiting for you

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 12/14/2005, 10:26 PM
Premium Member

Come on Travis keep us posted. When does this BK that is on US soil touch your tank??
Old 12/14/2005, 10:35 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

i get first bids on paying the admision price to see it

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 12/14/2005, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
i get first bids on paying the admision price to see it

Lunchbucket
ROFL...
Old 12/14/2005, 10:55 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

i'm serious!! i think i am the closest!!!

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 12/14/2005, 11:10 PM
Premium Member

They expect the shipment to hit the Captive Oceans warehouse in Indiana on Friday or Monday. But that still is not a sure bet because everything was sitting in customs as of last night. Not sure how long it has been there but Gary said it can take up to 2 weeks. He also said you DON'T call customs to ask them to rush an inspection or they will bump you to the bottom of the list just to teach you a lesson. I'm not too worried about when the skimmer finally gets through customs and gets to Captive Oceans. If it gets there Friday or Monday I will probably have the skimmer to my house by next Friday. That would require me to exercise some patience because I will be out of town next Friday until the following Monday. So I will be out of town knowing there is a BK 400 just waiting to be put to use. I wonder what my mind would be preoccupied with the whole time. So it is really in my best interest if the skimmer doesn't get to me until after I get back. Either way, I know the skimmer is in the US and will be here soon, so I'm not going to fret over a specific date.
Old 12/14/2005, 11:16 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

i'll watch it for you

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 12/14/2005, 11:25 PM
Premium Member

HaHa. I really don't want to hook up the skimmer and not be around for a few days. I think I am seriously going to put the skimmer on a timer for a week or so when I fire it up. My tank is going to be going from underskimmed to way overskimmed. My main concern is a water clarity difference to the point where the corals could bleach. Probably unlikely, but it is always better to be safe than sorry. I have heard of people having problems with corals when they first fired up their BK's.
Old 12/15/2005, 09:01 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

i mean i'll watch and polish it at MY place LOL then no one breaks in and takes it or anything like that

good idea on the skimmer. i guess if you go under stkimmed to over you never know

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 12/15/2005, 07:16 PM
Premium Member

HaHa, nice try.

You still going to Grant's tomorrow?
Old 12/15/2005, 07:23 PM
Premium Member

A couple little updates:

My last anthias finally passed on today. He was the last one left for the past month and would stay hidden under the spray bar at the bottom of the tank at all times. This makes me wonder if something wasn't harassing my anthias population, which led to the last 6 of them dying off in the past couple months. If I could wager a guess, it would be my school of 7 chromis but I never witnessed any aggression. However, chromis are damsels, and we all know they can be a bit nasty. When I added the chromis, it was actually the anthias that harassed the chromis. But things may have changed once the chromis got established. Regardless, one thing I have learned with my school of anthias (originally started with 10) is that the literature is right when it states that these fish are not easy to keep long term in captivity. Mine didn't even make it to the 1 year mark.

In case you don't remember, I purchased a handful of turbo snails when I ordered my last 3 tangs. I did this just to bump up the price to the point where I would get free shipping. Well, it is time of the turbos to go. I'm tired of reattaching frags that have been knocked over. On average, I have to reattach a frag every other day. At first I thought it was the blonde naso, but I have confirmed it is the turbos. I need to get them all out before next weekend when I leave town. The last thing I need is for them to knock over one of my favorite corals while I'm gone. With my luck, the coral would land into another favorite coral and both would RTN by the time I get home.
Old 12/15/2005, 08:34 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

sorry about the anthias!

LOL my turbos don't knock anything over. really gotta glue them good!

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 12/15/2005, 10:32 PM
Ehhhhhhh......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchbucket
go play w/ the wife and not the computer or the fishtank for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
I'll be back in 5 minutes.

Sorry, I read this right before the split, and I couldn't let it pass.

Travis, I hope you don't hate me for posting that, given that I've only met you once. Hey, I did give you a piece of the CBA, however.