Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/24/2005, 06:02 PM
Can't be listed on **

Reducing microbubbles in drain

Hello

I need some help. I have one tank that has lots of microbubbles coming into the sump via one of the drains. There are so many microbubbles that my bubble traps are not able to remove them to stay in the water until they make it back to the pump.

Anyway I have tried extra baffles including one right around the drain forcing it to flow up and over before it goes into the main sump. Extra baffles right around the pump. I hate mechanical filters in reef tanks but right now the only idea I have is to put a sponge in the bubble trap baffles to catch the bubbles.

Does anybody have any ideas on what we can do on the drain itself to help remove the bubbles (other than a filter sock which I might end up doing).

Thanks for any suggestions.

Kim
Old 01/24/2005, 09:33 PM
Premium Dad and Hubby

If your sump is designed properly then you should not have issues with micro bubbles........ Instead of a sponge between the baffles try some crushed base rock....... Could help but I would fix the baffle design if this does not work.......

Have fun......
Old 01/24/2005, 10:54 PM
Can't be listed on **

How should I fix the baffles? The sump is a good design. The main drain goes into the skimmer section of the sump 14x12 inches, then it goes over a 10 inch baffle, then under a second baffle 2 inches away, then over a third 10 in baffle to the return section 14x12 inches also. On the other end of the sump is a refugium feed off of the drain also, but the algea and the slower flow rate disapates the bubbles.
Old 01/24/2005, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

what is the spacing between your baffles, that makes a world of difference, and if it went, UOU, it would be more effective, air rises in water, so the 1st baffles becomes useless if the water goes over it
Old 01/24/2005, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

you are basically using 2 baffles when you use the OUO method, but that is just my opinion
Old 01/24/2005, 11:21 PM
Can't be listed on **

The baffles are on 2 inch centers.
Old 01/25/2005, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

Drill a hole in the pipe just before the water line in the sump
it lets the air escape
easy fix
Old 01/25/2005, 09:06 PM
Registered Member

the pipe feeding the sump that is. about 1 to 2 inches above the water should do the trick. i did it to mine and it worked great.
Old 01/25/2005, 09:58 PM
Want big tank back!!!!!

Kgross, I got the same problem and what I ended up doing was to put those nylon socks you buy at walmart, the ones in the little plastic container, 0.33 cents and I stuff one inside the other to give me 4 layers of socks and I put them at the end of the drain. I still get bubbles but not as many. I need to configure my baffle system, I got the same baffles up, down, up, Im going to take it out one of these days and make them down, up down.

Everyone is my friend but there are 2 people in this world that I despice the most: Murphy and Bill
Old 01/25/2005, 11:15 PM
Brother Maynard

the rubble rock barrier works great at reducing air bubbles.

another way is to find a food safe plastic container and drill a ton of holes 1/4" or so all over the container. place it under the pipe with or without a nylon stocking. the water should flow into the container and not splash into it. if you still get bubbles...get another container...a little larger than the first...again, drill a bunch of holes into it. place the smaller one into the larger one and stagger the holes.

if that doesnt do it...you're gonna have to call 'bubble busters' (y'know like ghost busters...never mind...i'm tired...

i hate fiddling with baffles when there is water in the sump already. my 100g sump has no baffles...just a pile of rocks.

i use a pseudo bucket method for bubble reduction...instead of putting the buckets on the drain...i drilled a bunch of holes in the intake side of the return pump. this accomplishes two things...one...bubble reduction...two, it will be almost impossible for any foreign object to plug up the intake due to the 'baffling' of the pipe and prevent water from getting back to the tank.

i get a ton of bubbles from my drain...big ones that go 'BA-LOOP!' and never get any back into the main tank.

oh, drilling the hole in the bubbly drain line an inch or so above the water line also works!

Ben.
Old 01/26/2005, 02:15 PM
Registered Member

How big of a hole do i drill in the drain line above the water??

Chad S.
Old 01/26/2005, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

my sump setup has the drain pipe dumping under the water to reduce noise from the splashing. then i had the bubble problem so i drilled a 1/4 inch hole about 2 inches above the water to let some of the air escape. too low and the water rushing down would cover the hole. i still get a little water coming out but very little. you still need baffles for the air that does make it in the sump water. i got the idea from trying to reduce bubbles from a surge device. try it can't hurt and an easy fix if it does work
Old 01/26/2005, 05:15 PM
Premium Member

I like to have my drain lines about 1" under the water level in the sump with a 90* elbow on the end and a 6" or so piece of PVC with slits cut in the top half (this pipe would run horizontal to the surface of the water in the sump).
I've found that this really lets the air escape as the water flows out. Works great, give it a try.
Old 01/26/2005, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

I agree with wickerj .... just did that after getting my sump refugium set-up..

"mommy, where's fluffy?" metallica