Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/21/2004, 01:08 AM
Premium Member

Question Moving monster tanks

I have been putting a lot of thought into this lately. I am really concerned about being able to move my new tank. I have gotten estimates from the builder that it will weigh around 1600 pounds .

Here are my issues:
1. I have to pick this thing up from a freight station. I figure I will rent a big Uhal (the box will be almost 9'x4'x3') How do I get it into the truck?
2. How do I get it off the truck?
3. The only way I can get it in my house is threw the back doors, but I have to go over the deck. Should the deck hold that much weight? Or should I throw some supports under there (just in case)
4. Then it's a relatively straight 30' shot to the stand over hard wood. How do I move it here (without killing my floor?)
5. Then it has to go up and onto the stand

I know almost everyone here has had to deal with some of these same issues when you got your tanks. I would love some pointers; I really want to be prepared.

Thanks
Old 10/21/2004, 06:38 AM
Ancient Eskimo Legend

I used professional riggers, expensive, but they insured the tanks and I just sat back and took a lot of pictures.

My 5ftx30x30 cube tank weighed about 2000lbs.

Dave

"The wind blew, the detritus flew and then they came two by two."
Old 10/21/2004, 10:27 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Nanook
I used professional riggers, expensive, but they insured the tanks and I just sat back and took a lot of pictures.

My 5ftx30x30 cube tank weighed about 2000lbs.

Dave

LOL now thats the way to do it bro
Old 10/21/2004, 11:51 AM
Registered Member

The biggest issue it going to be the deck and I don't think anyone can answer that without seeing it. That said, it's not just the tank weight, but also the weight of those who are moving the tank.

I moved my tank around on three furniture dollies, sometimes two depending on the surface. The freight company should have a fork lift to move the crate onto the truck, hopefully one with longer forks as the crate will not go ito the truck sideways. My suggestion to alleviate this obstacle is to try and get a flatbed truck. That way you do not need the extended forks to pick it up. You will want to put the crate on three 4"x4"s on the flat bed truck so that you can get the forks under the crate from the side. Make sure and get one of the forklifts with the big wheels to go through your yard to the back.

You know what, forget all this and hire somebody to do it. They are the professionals and that's why they get paid.

I was lucky and had it delivered to my house while I had an addition under construction and the contractors did everything.

With regards to the wood flooring, make sure and put plywood down wherever the tank will be. Put packing blankets down onthe floor first so that the flooring does not get scratched.

Good luck
Old 10/22/2004, 01:56 AM
Premium Member

Thanks Mike
I will start making calls as soon as I am able to talk to someone that will let me know when my tank will get here............

I hadn't even thought about the extra weight of the people that will be moving the tank. With that in mind I will definitely add several 4x4 braces under the deck. The last thing I want is my deck giving out and several people getting hurt, along with my tank getting trashed.
Old 10/22/2004, 01:58 AM
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Yep, just think safety and avoid injuries, lawsuits and a broken tank.

Nanook

"The wind blew, the detritus flew and then they came two by two."
Old 10/22/2004, 11:31 AM
Registered Member

Think "boom lift". They could probably set that tank on the furniture dollies on the deck with no problem so that the only lifting that will really need to be done is getting it up and on the stand.
Old 10/22/2004, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by VegasMike
the only lifting that will really need to be done is getting it up and on the stand.
No problem there.....

With your hardwoods - you can also create a cardboard walkway instead of using rugs or pads. Then put the plywood over the top.

Someone around here also used a car dolly that they use to move cars around on the show room floors.
Old 10/22/2004, 04:09 PM
Premium Member

I was talking to a friend of the family today that has a Skid-steer (bob-cat). He has forks for the front, and said that it will easily lift the tank and he could drive it around my house and set it on my deck.
As for the Car dollies, I have another friend that has a set, and I'm sure he will let me borrow them.

I will shore up the deck, and lay down some cardboard with plywood over it (to protect my wood floors). Then all I need is 10-15 big guys to lift this thing.....Any volunteers???

Does anyone know of anyplace that rents those big glass suction cups? I think the tank would be easier to lift if we had a few sets.
Old 10/22/2004, 06:34 PM
I'm not a morning person!

Most rental places have a Equipment Lift that can lift the tank and roll it around once you have it inside the house. I lifted my 800 pound tank with a smaller one and it worked great.

Something similar to this.

http://www.hssrentx.com/Grid.asp?sys...ysclearSQL=YES

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap!