Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/14/2007, 10:31 PM
Registered Member

Transporting Zoos snails...

Hi,
I heard that I could transport zoos and snails wihtout water inthe bag just by wrpping them with some wet tissues.
Is that true?
If so how much time would they last without water?
Does this apply to other corals too, mainly mushooms leather corals...
this will help me cut the volume of stuff I'm planning to fly back home with me. it's 3.5 hours flight, 3-4 hours checkin time and time to arrive home from airport so 8 hours max.
If it makes a difference I could havev a bit of water in the bag to just keep them wet and have them wrapped in a wet tissue
Thanks for any input
Old 12/14/2007, 11:12 PM
Hydrophilic

If the temperature keeps stable, there are a number of animals that can be 'dry' shipped like that. Ive seen it done with snails, hermits, zoas, mushrooms, anemones, and some softies. Ive seen snails and hermits go for nearly 2 days without water- the others, well Im sure some individuals are stronger than others, but I dont think 8 hours would be too bad. I wouldnt want to go much longer than that, but I think it is doable.

Have Some Personal Accountability
Old 12/14/2007, 11:39 PM
Registered Member

I ordered some snails off ebay one time and they were in a 20 oz water bottle for 2 days with just some wet cheato.
Old 12/14/2007, 11:53 PM
Reefer

I worked at a pet store through college. We had a shipment get lost once.....the boxes sat at an airport for 3 days. When we finally got the livestock most fish were dead, but almost all of the crabs and snails arrived alive. They were just bagged with a bit of moist papertowel.