Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/14/2007, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

Beware of homemade two part now.......

Read

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1271282
Old 12/14/2007, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

crap, I was just about to get into doing all that too, I saw a great video last night that talked about all the stuff you need and it can all be bought at like home depot etc. kinda puts a wrench in things. Thanks for posting that!
Old 12/14/2007, 02:41 PM
Premium Member

I think you misread. all it really says is that Dowflake etc. are rising in Bromine. It doesn't say that the CaCl from Twopart is bad. It merely says you are going to have to use food grade ot lab grade CaCl.
Old 12/14/2007, 02:53 PM
Premium Member

The notice from Dow says that the change occurred January 1st of 2006. The increase in bromide levels looks to be about the order of a magnitude and a half, and in the list of affected products is food grade liquid CaCl from Dow.

This blows.
Old 12/14/2007, 03:09 PM
Registered Member

food grade isn't safe anymore according to randy. keep reading, the thread is constantly updating.
Old 12/14/2007, 03:15 PM
Premium Member

Does put a crimp in things. I'll still hold out hope that the cottage industry that's grown up around this will find a suitable alternative.
Old 12/14/2007, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

buckeye field supply says they still have a good supply of the older formulation and I would think twopartsolutions still has the old formulation in stock as well, but i would verify before buying.
Old 12/14/2007, 03:45 PM
I found Nemo...

I am a little less DIY, so I bought 2 part on Ebay for about $30 shipped to my door. I have a relatively small tank, so it lasts me a LONG time. I think hitting "buy it now" on ebay is easier that trying to hunt down a certain grade of chemical...and wonder if you got the right stuff. Just an option for those people out there that are concerned with making their own...ebay has 2 part pretty cheap.

Current USA Solana 10gallon Nano.
Old 12/14/2007, 04:06 PM
HELP SLOW

I just got off the phone with the guys at Buckeye Field Suppy. They verified that they had the good stuff. I ordered 50 lbs.

So, I will have some to spare.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE

they paved paradise and put up a parking lot.