Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks

Old 11/14/2007, 01:42 AM
Keeper of the clams!!!

Another challenge for you!

So I have been seeing people bragging about keeping clams under pc lighting successfully and I think it is time to see some of these clams.

It takes quite some time to starve most clams to death due to light deprivation so I am hoping for the clams sake you don't try this. And I strongly advise people that are new to clams don't even try it with pc lighting because odds are that your clam will die within time. Save your money up, buy a mh or t5 light and then add clams.

But if you have a clam that you have successfully kept alive under pc lighting for more than a full year I challenge you to post pic's of the clam or clams.

Also if you have a pic of the clam when you purchased it and one of it now please post both so we can have a comparison.

That should fix it everything right???
Old 11/14/2007, 09:11 AM
w3rd

ask everyone at swf.com ive seen plenty of maximas and croceas under pc lighting. i still dont understand it myself
Old 11/17/2007, 07:22 PM
Keeper of the clams!!!

wow no takers?

Old 11/17/2007, 10:03 PM
w3rd

i dont think theyre ready to fess up in this section. i know ive seen them around in the nano section and on other websites
Old 11/18/2007, 11:20 PM
Registered Member

I highly doubt those few people even look at this forum. I don't think I would consider yourself victorious.

-Samuel Clemens
Old 11/19/2007, 09:55 AM
Zoa Color Pirate

Ok.. I'll fess up. I did it, I had a crocea under PC's in a nano for 13 months if my memory serves me right. Still have the clam but I did upgrade tanks & lighting 2 years ago. The crocea was actually in a 2 gallon tank under 13W PC for about 3 months while my 10 gallon (96W PC) matured alittle more. I'll see if I can dig up some old photo's after work.

I did not see any color change in the clam after upgrading to MH lights, I did notice an increase in growth though. I'm not saying it did not grow in that year under PC's, growth was obvious.. it just had a growth spirt after the upgrade.

I also had an ex that kept 4 or 5 clams underPC's in a 65 gallon tank for 3 years that I personally knew of. 1 very large derasa that outgrew his tank, 1 crocea & the rest were maxima's including a black & white. The only issues I ever saw was the derasa & one of the maxima's had what looked like stretch marks on them... but he told me it was because of their rapid growth? Of course, he did also tell me that a crocea needs less light than a squami or a maxima even though everyone else says otherwise. Anyway... no I dont have pics of his clams though, just offering my experience with long term PC lit clams.
Old 11/19/2007, 10:01 AM
Zoa Color Pirate

Nevermind.. I have pics on RC so I'll post now.
Here is the clam in the 2 gallon tank. (I believe it was purchased around may 04)

Here it is in the 10 gallon.

(wow..I'm supised by how many pics of the 10 gallon I still have online!)
Here it is in the 10 gallon not long before the upgrade.

I believe this was taken around the beginning of this year, the clam is alittle closed up because I was trying to take a pic of the shell so I scared it. ALL the growth with the "scutes" is growth it has done while I have had the clam, it had none when I recieved it as is presant in the 2 gallon pic of the clam.

Last edited by Jovreefer; 11/19/2007 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11/19/2007, 06:18 PM
clams are your friends.

I had a squamosa under 72W of 50/50 PC lighting in my first tank for just over 1 year. It grew about 1/2 inch and was doing great. Granted, it was a shallow tank so it got pretty good light in it and I am pretty obsessed about maintaining water quality.

I gave the whole setup to a friend when I moved. Last time I talked to him was about 6 months ago and it was doing great but had just bought a new 75 gallon with MH that he was going to put it into.

I wouldn't ever do it with a maxima or crocea, but the derasas and squamosas are found at much greater depths and can tolerate lower light levels. This isn't meant to encourage people to keep clams in low light tanks, but with certain considerations it can be done.
Old 11/19/2007, 06:27 PM
clams are your friends.

just happened to dig up a pic from right before I gave the tank away:

Old 11/19/2007, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

Here you go. This is my old 55g with 130w of pc lighting. I kept this T. maxima in there for two years before I moved into a 40 breeder with 250w mh and then 5x39w T5. It did not grow much but it looked good. Unfortunately it was killed along with my deresa by a bad batch of b-ionic about two months ago. It was in the 40g for a year and doubled its size. Someone getting out of the hobby gave it to me and I i was told that it would be fine in there long ago. I did feed phyto a few times a week so maybe that helped it. RIP

Its on the bottom left

Old 11/19/2007, 07:25 PM
Registered Member

Oh and yes, I was an idiot. I want to get a new deresa or squamosa but I am paranoid now and do not want to lose one again. I really love the clams.
Old 11/19/2007, 08:21 PM
Keeper of the clams!!!

Jovreefer, nice lookin clam and tank. I personally beleve that small tanks that are shallow could support a clam with pc's. But on the other hand Isn't it hard to keep your paramaters in good shape?

seapug, Great looking squammie, they are my favorites. Too bad you couldn't keep it.

johnnybravo234, That really sucks you lost that beauty. I just lost my first clam today to pyramid snails. NOT FUN LOOSEING CLAMS

Old 11/19/2007, 09:53 PM
Zoa Color Pirate

The only param's that were ever really a problem were phosphates as you could probably see in the 2 & 10 gallon pics. Everything else stayed pretty stable.