Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/05/2007, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

External Overflow

Decided to have an external overflow on my new tank and was wondering if just 2-3 holes in the lateral glass taking water into the Overflow would be a good choice?
I was reading about the Calfo overflows( exernal overflow with a shallow one from the inside of the tank) and believe one would look ugly inside the tank.
Any advantages other than surface skimming which I still believe holes at the surface would still do to a limited extent? any clear advantages over flood risks or quieter system?
would not having the calfo overflow lead to gurgling sounds as water deapth is to shallow and air will be sucked more? In that case would smaller or larger holes minimize the gurgling sound?
Sorry lots of questions but would appreciate any info tips or pics at this stage to avoid frustrations afterwards
Old 11/05/2007, 10:53 PM
Registered Member

I have had bad eperiences with no internal overflow. I have one exit hole that drain down into the sump and its loud as heck and really annoying to maintain. My tank is about 5-6 inches off the wall so the lights are somewhat annoying. I would do it differntly all over again if I wasn't a noob four years and getting into the hobbie. Hope that helps.
Old 11/06/2007, 12:31 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for your help.
I will have an external box with 2 lines draining water from it to the tank. I also suffered from direct draining lines in the past and not only from being loud but also from failure to launch after a power off. It would either run the return pump dry or cause a flood when there is enough water. Adding a venting hole into the line cause a lot of sound and airbubles getting sucked in...
do you think the external box will make a difference?
Old 11/07/2007, 07:56 PM
103.1fm

EyeCandy, how do you have your tank drilled? Is the outflow going straight from the overflow hole down to the sump via pvc elbow? I could prob advise you how to make it quieter just using a pvc tee and a pvc cap. LMK if you need any info.