Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/23/2007, 06:46 AM
2007 Eastern Conf. Champs

Ebay question

I'm bidding on a few nice Acans on ebay and noticed this exact wording in the no reserve listing-

Market Value: 350+

Fair market rule: I realize everyone likes to bid at the last minute and thats fine. However, we do reserve the right to pull this item within 24 hours of the end of the auction if we feel it will not meet a fair value. I advise you to bid to show your interest and use last minute bidding to snag it..........

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that if you list an item without a reserve, you must sell it to the high bidder. If you have a minimum you're willing to sell for, then you need to use the reserve price feature, and pay the associated fees.

This sounds like somebody's trying to avoid paying these fees to me.
What do you think?
Old 08/23/2007, 06:47 AM
Eternally Discombobulated

I think I would NEVER buy something like coral from Ebay.

Just my $.02

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 08/23/2007, 06:53 AM

I thought the same thing up until a few years ago. I have purchased corals probably 15 different times and only had one bad experience. Many of the better known people here on RC and even some of the vendors sell stuff on there. There are some good deals to be had, but of course, there are always risks, too.
Old 08/23/2007, 08:12 AM
Premium Member

I honestly do not think I would bid on an item if that stipulation was put in the auction.

I am thinking the same as you...that IF they want a definite price they should put a reserve on the item.

To me, that is no way to conduct business.
Old 08/23/2007, 08:17 AM
m0delgator

eBay's policy on ending items early:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/ques...dlist-now.html

Quote:
Search the Help pages (Does not search for items or products)
Tips
How can I end my listing (auction) immediately?

If needed, you can end your listing before the scheduled end date. If there are bids on your item, you can cancel them.

Reasons for ending listings early include:

* The item is no longer available for sale.
* There was an error in the starting price or reserve amount.
* There was an error in the listing.
* The item was lost or broken.

Timing Matters

When there are 12 hours or less remaining and the item has a winning bid, including a reserve met bid, sellers cannot make any changes to the listing, including:

* Ending the item early. Sellers may cancel bids, but not end the item unless the item is being sold to the high bidder.
* Adding to or changing the item description.

Note: Canceling bids or making changes to a listing with bids when there are 12 hours or less remaining, can damage the buyer experience and can undermine trust in the marketplace.
So it sounds like while the auction you are referencing is devious, it's not strictly forbidden by the policy. The seller could argue that the item was "no longer for sale." Still, it's shady practice and I wouldn't personally buy from that seller.

IMHO it's fair to submit a question to the seller asking for clarification, and/or to report the auction to eBay if you think it is intentionally skirting the listing policies, which I think there's a strong argument for.
Old 08/23/2007, 08:17 AM
On "The List"

if you feel that this seller is in violation of ebay policies or is trying to avoid fees, there is a "report this item" button to click to alert the ebay folks & let them take care of it
I've used it & seen the auction pulled within 4 hours of my reporting it, so they do review reported issues & take appropriate actions

HEY! I lost it first ~CRP

There is no "Brain" in "Brian." ~Beerguy
Old 08/23/2007, 08:31 AM
Moved In

I used to love ebay, but I rarely even go there. I know I've been offered a buy on the side and they'll offer a deal, which means you can't leave feedback when they screw you over. LOL, I've also been pressured to leave good feedback when they really didn't deserve it. I guess it's like buying from anyone you don't know, it pays to be cautious.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 08/23/2007, 08:44 AM
m0delgator

As a concept, it definitely has a lot of drawbacks, but also a lot of potential for benefit, both for buyers and sellers. Unfortunately, lots of people think it's OK to bend the system to their will, even if they aren't explicitly trying to scam people.
Old 08/23/2007, 09:47 AM

Thanks for the feeback, all.

I sent an inquiry to eBay regarding the two items I was bidding on, and they removed the listings for violating policy. The seller has the same exact wording in all 20 some items he has for sale, but they only removed the two I had been bidding on. Weird stuff, but I guess I'm glad they pulled them. I would have been really ticked if it got towards the end of the auction and the seller decided he wasn't getting enugh dough and yanked them himself.