Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself

Old 08/20/2007, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

What do you use to mix/store water in?

I'm thinking of getting rid of the 5 Gl bucket system (for water changes) and switching to a larger single container method...kinda like a plastic/poly (vertical) storage tank.

My tank's only a 72 Gl so I think a 55 Gl would suffice. I don't need a 100+ Gl tank to handle what I need. I plan to mix in it and plumb in a bulkhead, isolation valve, and quick disconnect to hook up an external pump for moving water from it to my tank during my water changes.

I have an RO unit but can't dedicate it to the reef. We live in Vegas and the water is extremely hard here so the RO unit shares duties between household and reef.

Does anyone else use something similar? Understand it's probably overkill for a 72 Gl reef but I plan to upgrade tanks to a much larger system within the next year so it'll become more necessary down the road.

I appreciate opinions, sources, pictures and all constructive feedback as always.

Rob
Old 08/20/2007, 07:35 PM
Frag-a-holic

I have 2 35 gallon plastic trash cans, both with roller dollies. I use 1 for salt and 1 for fresh. I mix the water with a powerhead and a heater that are always on. When I am ready, I siphon out the sump with a python, then roll the saltwater bucket out to the tank and pump it to the tank with a Mag 7. It works well for me. I can do a water change in about 15-20 minutes including cleaning the filters and skimmer. This is all for a 30 gallon with a 20 sump. I am not worried about the volume, I just wanted to make it easier, and this was about the easiest way I could make it within budget.

Save a reef, trade a frag!
Old 08/20/2007, 08:12 PM
Premium Member

I have two 44 gallon Rubbermaid Brute trash cans that I use. One holds fresh water and the other salt water. I basically do the same thing as grandegixxer. The Brute trash cans are IMO the best for this application.
Old 08/20/2007, 08:35 PM
Brother Maynard

i use nsw but i store them in these 55g pvc drums and keep them aerated with a coralife luft pump 65 which does 65 liters per minute.

Ben.
Old 08/20/2007, 09:28 PM
Registered Member

If you're going to mix your own I would definitely put a powerhead or something for water movement inside and run continuously like the others have said
Old 08/20/2007, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

Water Mix/Store

Oh yes.....I absolutely will continue to keep a pump in the larger container, just as I do with the smaller ones now. I mix, take a SG reading, then let it circulate/aerate overnight, then take another SG reading and then do my water change (assuming no salinity adjustments are needed).

I've also considered doing the 2 Brutes. I was just @ Lowe's looking at them today. I almost bought them but decided to do some more research on larger containers prior to going thru with it.

Thanks for the feedback so far, it's always good to see what others are doing and to bounce idea's back and forth so your time is much appreciated.

Rob
Old 08/21/2007, 12:03 AM
Premium Member

Well, I was using a large Rubbermaid brute container and I found if I let the water sit for a few days a scum formed on top..no matter how many times I rinsed it out, soaked it with vinegar etc...a few days later it would happen again. Did anyone else have this problem with Brute containers?
Old 08/21/2007, 12:07 AM
Got Salt?

I'm basic, (3) 5G buckets with mag 5 in each.
The heat from the mags heat the water for me.

Jack of all trades, and master of none.
~Steve~
Old 08/21/2007, 06:02 AM
Registered Member

Check with your local water company. A lot of them get their water treatment chemicals in those blue 55G barrels shown above, and sometimes they'll either sell or even give you those barrels to get rid of them. I've scored two freebies that way, and run a powerhead and heater in each one.
Old 08/21/2007, 08:32 AM
Registered Member

Your local public pool is a good place to get them too. Just be sure to clean them out real well
Old 08/21/2007, 09:00 AM
Registered Member

I use brute can by rubbermaid, easy to transport around the house with the spin on rubbermaid dolly. Made a rig using a mag 7 pump, pvc pipe and a few valves to make the pump do double duty. It mixes water and then can discharge out of a hose to fill the aquarium.
Old 08/21/2007, 10:41 AM
Registered Member

I just use 5 gallon culligan water bottles. Some marked for fresh and other marked for mixed.
Old 08/21/2007, 11:46 AM
Premium Member

Rubbermaid Brute trash cans.

Top one auto fills with RO/DI water controlled by a float valve

Bottom one is for mixing/storing salt water.

The entire system is plumbed into my sump room so I can pump fresh or saltwater where needed without carrying any buckets!

Old 08/21/2007, 09:42 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ladipyg
Well, I was using a large Rubbermaid brute container and I found if I let the water sit for a few days a scum formed on top..no matter how many times I rinsed it out, soaked it with vinegar etc...a few days later it would happen again. Did anyone else have this problem with Brute containers?
Same here. I figured it may be caused by the water temp getting too hot from the heat put off by the PH after running for a few days with the lid on. I don't use an air pump. Maybe that would help???
Old 08/21/2007, 10:24 PM
Registered Member

water mix/store container

BubbaPhish...any chance you have a pic or two of your pump rig? I'm interested to see how you've got that Mag mixing and pumping into your tank as well.

Marino420TD - I wish I had that kind of room....hell I wish I had a sump room for that matter. I'm going from garage to house....

Thx
Old 08/21/2007, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

I use a pair of 30g soft drink syrup barrels. One for salt mixing, the other for fresh.

Member of DFWMAS