Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/22/2007, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

Newest Addition

Just picked this guy up today. I made the guy at the lfs feed him before i bought it so that i knew it was eating and he already started eating in my tank when i fed tonight. It's also going crazy picking at the lr and all the tiny feather dusters that are all over. Hopefully it has everything it needs to survive long term in my tank.

Old 07/22/2007, 07:45 PM
Premium Member

Thats a nice coperband, what kind of trigger is that in the pic, and does it mess with anything- corals ,shrimp,fish?
Old 07/22/2007, 07:53 PM
Copperband Butterfly

I wish mine would eat. He eats from the rocks all day it looks like, can they survive on that?
Old 07/22/2007, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

Thats a Sargassum trigger. There is a separate post floating around somewhere on theis forum with pics of him. He's about 2.5" long and bothers nothing, fish or inverts. I would say yes that it could be possible that they could sustain themselves on just grazing if it is a huge tank that is very well established, but not in a 125g. Try live black worms or live brine shrimp. A lot of the time if they don't eat from the beginning they never will, i hope this isnt the case for yours, good luck.
Old 07/22/2007, 11:03 PM
I <3 Fish.

I was tempted to buy one of two copperbands at my LFS the other day but he said neither were eating so I didn't. Your lucky cause I want one so bad!
Old 07/23/2007, 06:16 AM
Registered Member

Great fish JM68! What do you feed him? Brine shrimp? Live or frozen? Apart from the feather dusters, has he started nipping at your other corals? What other corals does Copperbands nip at?
Thanx
Old 07/23/2007, 06:20 AM
Registered Member

He's eating frozen mysis and blood worms so far. Hopefully i'll be able to expand on that diet a little bit in the future. I haven't seen him nipping at corals yet. Some people say they will, some say they won't so we'll see how it goes.
Old 07/23/2007, 07:33 AM
Registered Member

JM68,

Congrats on your newest addition.

I was at the store on saturday eyeing up your crosshatch. She is looking really good. If she is still at the store come next weekend I think I'm going to buy her (if the wife gives me the ok).

I noticed on Wednesday they wanted $249.99 for her, but on Saturday they upped the price to $299.99. Whats up with the store doing that. Did you ever notice that with the prices there? You go in 1 day they have the fish at 1 price, then a couple days later they have that same fish at a higher price. I have noticed they done this on a several occasions.
Old 07/23/2007, 12:56 PM
Keeper of Tangs

CBB's are sweet. I have had mine two years and love him to death.
Old 07/23/2007, 04:16 PM
Registered Member

ndas, she was still there as of yesterday. They usually stick around for a while because most people don't shell out that kind of money for a fish. I have never noticed them marking a fish up over time, just marking down if they the fish has been there for a while. The day after i traded her back she was marked at 300$. My guess would be that someone marked her down by mistake or without authorization from management and they just fixed it because the price was at 300$ when i was there yesterday. By the way did u c the Conspic they have. It came in about a week ago, beautiful fish.
Old 07/23/2007, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

JM68, yeah I seen the Conspic, he was very beautiful looking and was a great size (about 6"). They didn't have the price on the tank, but they probably want $2500 for him, because that's what all the other ones they had in sold for. I would love to get him, but my wife would definitely divorce me if I spent, and this would be a quote, "you spent $2500 on a stupid fish that is only going to die eventually." If there was only a way to get her into the hobby so I can spend what ever I want on equipment and livestock. Lol
Old 07/23/2007, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

I hear ya. Its the same with my gf. She can't understand how i could spend so much money on what she calls "stupid" fish. I wish they could understand.