Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/17/2007, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

Guide: Caring for acrylic aquariums

I see alot of people asking how to care for acrylic aquariums so I decided to write something up to help people make the most out of their investments.

Things you need:
plexus cleaner http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/frames.html
You can usually find this at any motorcycle/atv shop.

microfiber washclothes

good magnet cleaner that is safe for acrylic.....I prefer the ones from http://www.algaefree.com/ . make sure to get one that is made for your acrylic thickness and buy extra replacement pads - these need to be changed after two aquarium cleanings to ensure there isn't alot of buildup on them that can scratch. I rinse them very well inbetween each use.

Kent Proscraper http://www.kentmarine.com/maintenanc...raper-long.htm to remove coraline, make sure to get extra acrylic safe blades

Cleaning instructions

1. Spray plexus on front panel and use microfiber towel to clean. Repeat for sides. I always start on the front because it is the most critical and you want to make sure you microfiber towel has absolutely nothing on it.

2. Use magnet cleaner on front panel. Be extremely careful as you get towards the bottom, because as you move the magnet it will stir up sand if you move it quickly. If the sand lands on or gets in between the magnet cleaner and the acrylic it will scratch. If this happens pull the magnet cleaner away from the acrylic and let it the inside part float to the top. Remove it and verify that no sand is lodged in the cleaning pad. Put back in tank and start again. Move to the sides and do the same.

3. If you have coraline you would now use the kent scraper to remove it if the magnet can't take care of it.

4. Once you have done this then again spray plexus on the front panel. I always turn the microfiber towel inside out to verify I have a clean towel surface when starting on the front panel. Move to the sides and repeat. Doing this ensures streaking from the magnet cleaner is removed and gives you the perfect finish.

If you use the magnet cleaner atleast once a week you will not have to worry about using the kent scraper to often because the magnet can remove small specks of coraline.

You will get a build up of coraline near the bottom of the aquarium because you don't want to use the magnet cleaner to close to the bottom for fear of getting sand or other debris inbetween the magnet cleaner and the acrylic. This is where your Kent Proscraper will come into play from time to time.

Use a clean microfiber towel everytime or every week when you do your cleaning.

Following these steps will ensure your acrylic aquarium stays as scratch free as possible for a very long time.

Hope this is helpful,
Chad

Last edited by oct2274; 07/17/2007 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07/29/2007, 10:41 PM
Premium Member

I have used the Kent ProScraper with no luck..it scratched my acrylic believe it or not...is there another method of removing this stuff...Im not too happy with the Kent pro scraper.
Old 07/29/2007, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

i used it just yesterday, didn't scratch a thing You must have had some sand or something else between it and the side. That or you were not using the plastic blades hehe. Anyways, you really don't have to use that very often, I find if you use the magnet I listed above atleast once a week it will keep all the coraline off the side and what little that does build up in a week can be removed with that alone. If you have a bunch built up already it isn't going to remove it. You will either have to use the kent scraper or a credit card and be careful not to get sand inbetween it and the side.
Old 07/29/2007, 11:36 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oct2274
i used it just yesterday, didn't scratch a thing You must have had some sand or something else between it and the side. That or you were not using the plastic blades hehe. Anyways, you really don't have to use that very often, I find if you use the magnet I listed above atleast once a week it will keep all the coraline off the side and what little that does build up in a week can be removed with that alone. If you have a bunch built up already it isn't going to remove it. You will either have to use the kent scraper or a credit card and be careful not to get sand inbetween it and the side.
I dont think its the sand that caused the scratches..looks like it might be the scraper of possibly the coraline particles
Old 07/30/2007, 12:21 AM
Registered Member

it could be smears from the particles i guess. did you try to use the magnet cleaner after using the scraper to see if it would remove it? I know that i have to use the magnet cleaner after cause there are little lines and chunks of coraline left behind
Old 07/30/2007, 12:25 AM
Premium Member

I found that using a magnet less than what is recommended works well. I have a 3/4" tank and use a magnet for 1/2" You have to be a little carefull when moving across the tank so you don't seperate the two. Also make sure you don't have any snails on your magnet. I have a couple scratches from snail shells. JMO
Old 07/30/2007, 12:28 AM
Premium Member

Also for cleaning the front I use Pledge. It puts a nice waxy coating on the front also I believe it's the same stuff as plexus minus the scent.
Old 07/30/2007, 12:33 AM
Registered Member

i'd be careful with the pledge just because some chemicals will yellow the acrylic after extended use. Plexus is made specifically for plastics. When you pay as much as I did for the aquarium it's always better safe than sorry
Old 07/30/2007, 12:36 AM
Premium Member

my manufacturer recommended it. I believe they use the same chem. where did you here it would yellow the acrylic?
Old 07/30/2007, 12:39 AM
Registered Member

i didn't hear that pledge specifically will yellow acrylic, but i have seen what some chemicals can do to acrylic and it isn't pretty. Pledge has things added to smell nice and other things that aren't needed. Whether or not those will yellow your tank..........only time will tell. Why take the chance?
Old 07/30/2007, 12:47 AM
Premium Member

I've been using it for about 8 months now without any side effects. I've never used any thing other than pledge so I can't comment on the specific acrylic cleaner. It leaves a nice slightly waxy shine. If you have a bottle of your stuff I'd be interested in hearing the ingredients to see how similar they are. The guy who built my tank has been doing it for a long while and swears by the stuff. I guess I always took his word for it that they were the same ingredients, never checked myself
Old 07/30/2007, 12:49 AM
Registered Member

here is a link to the plexus cleaner

http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/frames.html

like i said before, you should be able to find this at Motorcycle dealerships or maybe other places that sell motorcycle accessories