Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/15/2007, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

Nano Skimmer

I am in the process of getting some stuff together for either a 12g or 15g nano reef. I love my 120g but it is in my basement and i really want a little bit of the ocean in my room and a nano is the only option since my room is pretty small. I know just about everything that i am goin to get equipment wise except for a skimmer. I have seen a bunch of "nano" skimmers online, but i have no clue which one to buy. Any ideas or suggestions on a good one for that size tank. My only parameters for now are that it be affordable(under75$) and hang on since i won't be running a sump.
Old 04/15/2007, 12:26 AM
Registered Member

I'll be releasing one soon. Stay tuned.
Old 04/15/2007, 12:42 AM
Registered Member

BaK pac2 with airstone would be the only option. A remora hanging over the side would be better, but beyond that there is nothing under $400.

It would be cheaper to run the tank off your 120, just upgrade the sump pump/add one to handle the head pressure of pumping water upstairs and your set. Why not add a bigger sump right under the new tank(like one of those rubbermaid 100gal tubs/farm pools)? A Mag 9.5 could feed a 15gal even with a swid wavemaker @ 8ft.

Spend the money on a better skimmer for the whole system.
Old 04/15/2007, 12:46 AM
Reefer

the best ones I know of are the sapphire nanoskimmers that go in the back of the aquapods or nanocubes and such
Old 04/15/2007, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

Nano skimmer

Tunze has a nano 9002 that I'm using on my 29 gal right now. It has to be mounted inside the tank,but it's only 2 in wide and was able to adjust the glass canopy lid to fit it in. Bio load is not to big but it is pulling skimmate good. Might be selling it though because I'm thinking of uping to a reef setup and will install a sump system for that.
Old 04/15/2007, 10:37 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shag26272
the best ones I know of are the sapphire nanoskimmers that go in the back of the aquapods or nanocubes and such
if you think those are the best you need to get out more. Honestly ive read thread after thread about people buying those things and they fail miserably.
Old 04/15/2007, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

I am using a Aqua C Nano Remora in my 3 gallon at the office. It keeps the water really clear and maintenance is minmal.
Old 04/15/2007, 11:07 AM
Registered Member

I was planning on running the tank without one at first and just doing a decent water change every week, but i think having the skimmer will make things easier. Bio load should be fairly low. It will have LPS corals, polyps and shrooms. And i only plan on keeping a psuedo and maybe a geometric pygmy hawk in it so i don't want to go crazy with the skimmer. Just something to help out.