Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/10/2006, 10:58 PM
Registered Member

Return Pump Plumbing Question

I just picked up a new Quiet One 5000 submersible return pump and need some advice please.

The documentation that came with the pump show one recommended set-up with a "T" about 12" up from the outlet that feeds the skimmer.
My tank is a 72 Gal Bowfront so the 1300 GPH (@ 4 Ft of head pressure = approx 1000 GPH) is plenty. Anyone have experience setting their return pump up this way? My skimmer is a 125 Gal rated Coralife Super Skimmer W/ Needlewheel pump. If I use the new return pump, I'll lose the water chopping effect the Needlewheel pump provides right?

My second question is, in the event I dont split the return to feed the skimmer, I will more than likely split the returns. Whats the best way to plumb it? Where is the best place to split the return (high or low on the return line)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated....
Old 10/11/2006, 07:59 AM
Relax. Salad bowl is 300g

I think maybe what they mean is that you can T off above the return to feed into the skimmer area, not directly into the skimmer itself. Plus, because you have a needlewheel skimmer (same as mine), you wouldn't want your return to bypass the skimmer's pump straight into the skimmer. It wouldn't skim without the needlewheel.
Support Intelligunt Desine!
I want to get a bunch of Hermit crabs and force them to live with each other.
Old 10/11/2006, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

Plumbing Advice

I was afraid that was too good to be true. Thanks for the response...