Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/18/2007, 06:52 AM
Registered Member

Calcium in a softies tank

I was wondering that I never add any calcium to the tank and rarely do water changes over the last 2 years and my calcium never went below 450 (double checked it on 2 different kits last time I checked)
Doesn't the softies consume any Calcium?
So any of you add caclium to their softies only or softies with LPS maybe?
do you think I shouldi nvest in a calcium reactor for my coming tank or just dose if it goes below 400?
Tanks for your help
Old 12/18/2007, 07:14 AM
a Buffer fish

Yes they do but its not at the consumtion rate of sps corals. They use it for their sclerites.

A sclerite (Greek skleros meaning "hard") is a hardened body part. The term is used in various branches of biology for various structures including hardened portions of sponges, but it is most commonly used for the hardened portions of arthropod exoskeletons.
Old 12/18/2007, 08:21 AM
Registered Member

I would also check your alk. Some softies actually seem to be surprisingly sensitive to low alkalinity.
Old 12/19/2007, 12:41 AM
Registered Member

thanks for the info
Old 12/19/2007, 06:45 AM
Unregistered Member

I would recommend, if anything, dosing kalkwasser (pickling lime). It will make your coralline algae growth explode. You shouldn't really have any need for a CaRx unless you were running a heavily stocked SPS tank. If you aren't dosing Mg, Ca, or Alk, you should at least do regular water changes to try to help keep everything balanced. Mg depletes over time and can cause some softies to 'melt' away - finger leathers are good at that.