Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/26/2007, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

toadstool leather in trouble

i got a leather toastool 2 and a half weeks ago, it a had a brown spot on it but it kind of dissintigrated. i thought all was well until it re appeared and now is spreading rapidly... many of his fingers,nubs? are completely retracted and he is falling over , the stalk is thinner and bent badly. i think i need to do something drastic, cut the crown completely off? parameters are always good in my tank as i test once a week including yesterday.
Nitrate 0
phosphate .1 or less
Ca420
Mg1300
alk3.6
all other inhabitants are doing fine.
it in thebotton of tank low light low flow position
Old 11/26/2007, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

try to cut the bad spot away fast...post some pictures, that would help me tell you how to cut it exactly.
Old 11/28/2007, 03:43 AM
Registered Member

oh man, I had this happen with a yellow leather and it is no longer in the tank. I attempted to cut off the necrotic part and do a coral dip and this did not work. The coral looked better for about 12 hours and then the process just started all over again from the newly sliced edges..It might be better depending on how bad the damage is to just get it out of the tank. My tank params were perfect as well and luckily the decaying coral did not throw anything out of whack before I got it out of the system. Sorry for the loss if you are unable to save it.
Old 11/28/2007, 10:24 AM
Registered Member

More flow might help, but sometimes when they melt down there isn't any stopping them.

Pics may help, but isolating the coral would be a good idea as the decaying matter can spread to other softies.
Old 12/01/2007, 02:24 AM
Registered Member

mine had it once, not sure if the same, i fresh water dipped it and brush away the desintigrating part. it looked totally beated after. but after a couple of months, it's back to normal and regrew the lost part like nothing had ever happened (not even a scar). JME