Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography

Old 11/25/2007, 01:44 AM
Keeper of the clams!!!

any suggestions cannon powershot sd600

Hello I have a Cannon Power Shot SD 600 and I am having troubles taking good pic's. I Have alot of clams and like to show them off so any suggestions would be great.

I just took some pic's with the cam set to nite snapshot exp set to 0, superfine setting, and 640x480. This setting has worked best for me so far. Are my settings all wrong? if so what should I use?

Here is a pic without flash

And one with flash

I normally don't use the flash, should I use it?

That should fix it everything right???
Old 11/25/2007, 11:28 AM
RC Mod

Using a flash can be good sometimes and bad other times. I avoid using a flash on acros and zoos for sure and sometimes clams and mushrooms- the colors just don't look natural. So for those times when you aren't using a flash you need to pay attention to the shutter speed. If it's slower than oh say 1/60 you will be risking blurry pics because of camera movement. For those pics you want to use a tripod or brace the camera against something solid. Make sure the camera is using the largest aperture (most likely it is if you're in auto mode). You can also try increasing the iso but the higher the iso the grainier the picture.
Old 11/25/2007, 11:46 AM
NJ Reefers Club

Looks like your shutter speed without the flash is just too slow to be able to get a good picture. Since you can't manually control the shutter speed with your camera, it looks like your best bet would be to up the ISO and see if that helps you any.
Old 11/25/2007, 12:44 PM
Keeper of the clams!!!

lol whats iso?

That should fix it everything right???
Old 11/25/2007, 12:53 PM
NJ Reefers Club

Look through the manual for ISO for where to adjust the setting.

It is your camera's attempt to simulate being more sensitive to light through amplifying the sensor output.

What it means in practical terms is that your able to use a faster shutter speed. The resulting output is varying degrees of "noise" or grain on your photo. You should be able to find a point at which the shutter is faster AND the noise is acceptable.