Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/24/2007, 10:00 AM
2/08 HB first show

I got a new tattoo

woot.

I have been wanting a very specific design for about 1.5 years, it was hard to describe to my tattoo artist however, I finally found something to show him to give him the right idea..

It was drawn up and created yesterday (I always go for original work) and the outline was done yesterday.

I will post some pics when it heals of the outline.. Then in a couple weeks when I get the color.

Its like bio-mechnical, about 8 inches long and 5-6 inches wide. from my lower back/hip/rear area...

I went and showed my mom yesterday, she said wholly bleep bleep, that's really big, I don't like it, well maybe I will when you finish it.. Gotta love mom, the looks she gives me are priceless!

I love getting new tats..

A person can solve a lot of problems by FIRST using a QT tank.. QT all new fish.
Old 09/24/2007, 10:14 AM
Moved In

Maybe you can take Dino to get one!

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 09/24/2007, 10:18 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

Quote:
Originally posted by dc
Maybe you can take Dino to get one!
Yeah! One of those stick on ones you put on with water!

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 09/24/2007, 10:21 AM
Guardian of Little People

Tattoo remorse fuels boom for dermatologists

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- Laura Hathaway initially had no regrets after getting a tattoo on her lower back when she was 21. But now, 10 years later, she wants it gone.

Tattoo removal is more painful than the original tattoo, patient Laura Hathaway says.

The pharmaceutical sales representative from Atlanta, Georgia, says it doesn't fit in with her current lifestyle as the mother of a 2-year-old boy who just started to talk. "The other day I bent over and he said, 'What's that?' and it just confirms why I'm having it removed."

Dr. Scott Karempelis of Atlanta Dermatology Associates is performing a multitreatment laser procedure that will gradually erase Hathaway's tattoo with little or no scarring. The process is painful, expensive and time-consuming.

Karempelis says that in spite of the drawbacks, "business is booming." He and three other dermatologists in his office see more than 30 patients a day who want tattoos removed by laser. The American Academy of Dermatology reports tattoo regret is common in the United States. Among a group of 18- to 50-year-olds surveyed in 2004, 24 percent reported having a tattoo and 17 percent of those considered getting their tattoo removed.

Karempelis uses a state-of-the-art laser that targets the pigment in the tattoo. "It goes through the skin without damaging it and hits the pigment depending on which wavelength and which color you have, and it blows it into small pieces."

The tattoo ink is then reabsorbed into the body through the lymphatic system. The process must be completed over several sessions in order to protect the skin from damage.
Hathaway expects to go through 10 sessions several weeks apart, each lasting less than a minute. She admits it's a lot more painful than getting the original tattoo. "It's prickly," describes Hathaway. "It feels like a bee is sitting on your back stinging time and time again. Afterwards, the pain does go away and you're a little sore for a few hours."

Patients with bigger tattoos are sometimes given the option to use a topical anesthetic, but Karempelis points out that it adds to the cost.

Like other dermatologists, he charges by the square inch for the laser treatment. By the time Hathaway's done, she expects to pay more than $2,200.

There's no guarantee that she won't have a scar. "Scarring is your major risk," says Karempelis. "Almost everyone gets a little bit of discoloration, a little lighter, a little darker for a while. But in most cases if you wait a year, you cannot see where it was done initially."

Certain tattoo colors, such as green, yellow and purple, are harder to remove, Karempelis says, especially for people with darker skin. Some parts of the body also pose a challenge. "The farthest away from the heart are hardest to treat, so the ankles are the toughest," Karempelis says.

He predicts his business will increase in the future, after a new type of tattoo ink hits the market. Freedom-2 is a microencapsulated dye. It's designed to be easily removed by a single laser treatment. "The laser would hit that pigment and it would completely dissolve immediately. ... You wouldn't need repetitive treatments," the doctor says.

But until the ink becomes available, Karempelis expects to see a variety of patients going through long sessions to remove reminders of their past. He says the most popular tattoos to be removed in his office are the names of old boyfriends and former spouses.

In Hathaway's case, her tattoo of a flower didn't fit the image she wants to portray. She says she got the tattoo long before low-rise pants became popular. "It's just something I wanted to be private and now it's not." E-mail to a friend

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 09/24/2007, 10:57 AM
Moved In

So you don't want a tattoo huh Brian?

Old 09/24/2007, 11:53 AM
Simply Complicated

So she went from being her own individual to being owned by her kids. Stupid lady needs her own identity, and if she thinks getting it removed make her a better person or mom she's really stupid.
I got what I wanted when I wanted it and I will not ever regret it. If someone says they don't like my tattos I tell then don't look at it. If they insist that it's just ugly I tell them to look in the mirror.

WAY TO GO HATTIE!! Can't wait to see the pics. Original tatts are what I go for also.
Old 09/24/2007, 12:27 PM
i'm here for you two

"Certain tattoo colors, such as green, yellow and purple, are harder to remove, Karempelis says, especially for people with darker skin. Some parts of the body also pose a challenge. "The farthest away from the heart are hardest to treat, so the ankles are the toughest," Karempelis says. "

my ankle tattoo has green and purple in it along with other colors......good thing i love it and don't want it removed

A wedding? I love weddings! Drinks all around! "Cap'n jack sparrow"
Old 09/24/2007, 01:13 PM
forever newbie

I have 2 tats that I wouldn't get removed for anybody much less a kid. My sister had a tiny rose tat on her back just below her shoulder blades. Nobody even knew it was there except her husband. She had it removed via laser treatments. What a waste of a good tat
Old 09/24/2007, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

as long as you plan it ahead (like you did) and its not a spur of the moment kind of thing then by all means go for it

can't wait to see the pics. I have a design picked out for mine just unsure on where I want mine

“The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 09/24/2007, 01:30 PM
Take a number

Quote:
Originally posted by drauka99

can't wait to see the pics. I have a design picked out for mine just unsure on where I want mine
Me too. I've carying my design around in my purse for months.

I origionally wanted it on my thing, but now I'm thinking my back, towards the side...

I dunno.

I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead - not wounded or sick - DEAD !
Old 09/24/2007, 01:38 PM
Registered Member

I was thinking back shoulder blade but now thinging upper arm, not sure. I need to get back to working out and get back into decent shap, The tat is kind of my reward for getting back into shape

“The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 09/24/2007, 01:49 PM
Premium Member

Congrats on the new ink . I'm going for another one in November( gives me all winter to let it set out of the sun). Ihad a boss who asked me to never get one on my arms that could be seen with a short sleeve shirt on and i have kept that up till this day. where you put a Tattoo is everything.
Old 09/24/2007, 02:11 PM
Registered Member

oh mine woudl be up high enough to be covered by anything but a sleevless shirt.

As I said mine is more for me than for anyone to see and comment on.

and where are the pics

Old 09/24/2007, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

anyone have a reef scene tat?
Old 09/24/2007, 03:43 PM
2/08 HB first show

LOL... Dino at a tattoo shop? HAHAHHH

That would be funny, we could send him home with tattoos and piercings (like a Prince Albert

and I think about tats for awhile before I go and get one.. This is my 5th one all rather large ones..

A person can solve a lot of problems by FIRST using a QT tank.. QT all new fish.
Old 09/24/2007, 03:54 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

Quote:
Originally posted by Hattie B
That would be funny, we could send him home with tattoos and piercings (like a Prince Albert
Do you still want to go to Yellowstone? If you do I'd highly suggest not because right after Momma gets done killing me she's going to come after you!

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 09/24/2007, 04:04 PM
Member ACROS Reef Club

Quote:
Originally posted by ImAFinAddict
anyone have a reef scene tat?
I have had this for about 10 years, it is one of a few. Currently all my tats can be covered with shorts and short sleeve shirts. Wish Icould have some some visiual work, but work would frown on it. Then again they are becoming more and more mainstream...
I have ideas for several more but money usually makes them out of reach since most are large and require hours of work...
Old 09/24/2007, 04:55 PM
Moved In

Nice!

Old 09/24/2007, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

Finally somthing that I can speak on...lol...I have been into body mods for quite a few years now and have taken it beyond what most people could ever do. Currently I finishing my sleeves (3 sessions left total) and both legs are in the works (each leg is dedicated to each one of my childern)...for a while I was getting piercings, somtimes a few new ones each day (pays to be REAL good friends with your artist/piercer) due to the fact the for the most part the piercings were not permenant. Slowly I have "grown up" and taken out all the piercings but can never stop with the ink. Over the past few years I have gotten involved in suspentions and flesh pulls (tug-o-wars.) I dont do it for any "spirtual" feeling or what-have-you, I do it because I like seeing how far I can push my limits. I have a few pics of some of my ink, not many, and at somone's request I can post a few pics of my flesh pulls if anyone has the intrest. The suspentions I would rather not post as the other people in the picture are not really "fully clothed" (alot of the shows are done at BDSM nightclubs)
Old 09/24/2007, 06:45 PM
Guardian of Little People

Do not even consider posting pics. Not in a million years are "flesh pulls" suitable for the normal people of the world.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 09/24/2007, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dinoman
Yeah! One of those stick on ones you put on with water!
I with you Dino! One that washes off with water. No tattoos on me. I don't like pain! I did not get my ears pierce until I was 30.

LSU,
How bout em TIGERS!
Old 09/24/2007, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

Dont get me started on the normal debate....that is one that I have won many times in the past and am very confident in my abilities...lol
Old 09/24/2007, 07:40 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

Quote:
Originally posted by mltmtascp
I with you Dino! One that washes off with water. No tattoos on me. I don't like pain! I did not get my ears pierce until I was 30.
Should we go get some stick on tats? I'll even let the lady loungers pick out the one I should get

Old 09/24/2007, 07:48 PM
Registered Member

I think we should and take pics! Then we could show off our tattoos. I had a friend who had a Jerry tattoo as in "Tom and Jerry". We told her that when she got old and was put in the nursing home she would be know as the "little old lad with the Jerry" Tattoo

I think you should get Tom!

LSU,
How bout em TIGERS!
Old 09/24/2007, 07:51 PM
Crap Under User Name

Quote:
Originally posted by PoukieBear

...I origionally wanted it on my thing...
Wow. I'm just... Wow.

The little men that live behind my eyes and scream into my brain told me to tell you hi.