Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 07/23/2007, 12:08 PM
Registered Member

How to catch a very intelligent Flame angel?

Ok, i have a naughty little flame angel I need to get out of my tank. He is only 2.5-3 inches and likes to chase a couple of my fish, he even chased my filimented wrasse right out of the tank. I have a very large net that I left in my aquarium for a week and every fish but him would swim inside the net and check things out from time to time. He seemed to know that net was in there for him lol. BTW, the net is all plastic so it was ok to leave in the aquarium for a week to acclimate the fish to it . Anyways, i want this fish out of my aquarium and am not willing to rip apart everything to catch him. Has anyone had good luck catching a fish like this with the 2 liter bottle trap or any other method? I think he might be too small to go fishing for at this point.
Old 07/23/2007, 12:15 PM
Resident Patent Consultan

try the technique I listed on this post:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...&highlight=cup

let us know if this works!
Old 07/23/2007, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

i might give that a try, but don't have any extra acrylic sitting around atm, anyone else have any techniques?
Old 07/23/2007, 12:24 PM
Resident Patent Consultan

you should be able to get some plexiglass sheeting at lowe's or home depot.
Old 07/23/2007, 12:25 PM
Registered Member

I was able to catch a lemonpeel angel in my 210, heres how.

1. Remove all coals
2. remove all rock
3. drain water down to just a few inches
4. use large net

Hahahaha

Sorry, I have heard of many ways from fish traps to turning the lights on during th middle of the night so the fish kinda wonders out of the rocks a little confused.

In the end, I used it as an opportunity to rearrange some things and give the tank a good cleaning. But I dont plan on doing it very often...!
Old 07/23/2007, 12:27 PM
Premium Member

Don't feed for 2 days than drop in a #22 hook, (actual size is about the same as this " J " )from a local fly fishing shop on a fine piece of thread and you will have him in less than a minute. I have tried a lot of different stuff and this always seem to work flawlessly every time. Rob.
Old 07/23/2007, 12:43 PM
saltwater in my veins

lol... Them angels are tough. I removed a coral beauty and flame by moving the rock around my corner overflow to another area and using the area between the overflow and the glass as an area to make a trap door. I made a trap door out of 2 layers of needle point sheets and suspended it so around 4 inches of the bottom was open. It fit perfectly and left no space between the edges.

I fed pellets in that area and they could not resist.

Shut the trap door and netted them out

Anyways, traps work best, you can use plexiglass one or rig one up anyways you see fit like I did. Just make sure it will work and there is no escape room, they WILL find it. And whatever you do, don't miss.

Only thing harder than catching a angel fish is an angel fish that just escaped...

I tried fishing with no luck BTW, just to small and to many tankmates that were just as hungry.

Last edited by HBtank; 07/23/2007 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07/23/2007, 01:07 PM
King of the Apes

I caught my flame by using the 2 liter bottle trick.

Cut off end, reverse it, make hole. Tie fishing string to bottle, squirt some mysis shrimp in, and wait outside of the tank holding the fishing string.

Fish goes in, you pull up. Took me 30 minutes of waiting.
Old 07/23/2007, 01:49 PM
Registered Member

I have tried every fish trap available and they never worked for me. The problem with a fish hook is that you may hook the wrong fish. I chase my for many hours until it got tired and finally net it. Lucky I out lasted the flame angel. I never doing that again. Good luck with what ever method you decide to use.
Old 07/23/2007, 02:51 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

There isn't a single fish in my tank the didn't enter my fish trap at one point or another. Worth every penny IMHO considering the price of fish being chased out of the aquarium by a bully.

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 07/23/2007, 05:16 PM
Mortar Target

I removed a flame angel from a 125g tank with this trap:

Old 07/23/2007, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fiziksgeek
I was able to catch a lemonpeel angel in my 210, heres how.

1. Remove all coals
2. remove all rock
3. drain water down to just a few inches
4. use large net

Hahahaha

Sorry, I have heard of many ways from fish traps to turning the lights on during th middle of the night so the fish kinda wonders out of the rocks a little confused.

In the end, I used it as an opportunity to rearrange some things and give the tank a good cleaning. But I dont plan on doing it very often...!
I agree about 1, 2, and 3, but not 4.

I always use a large clear plastic bag and move slowly. The fish is cornered and herded into the bag.

I have not used a net to catch fish for a long time.

A trap is good if it does not involve my fish struggling against a surface (even soft let alone hard) when out of water.

Last edited by wooden_reefer; 07/23/2007 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07/23/2007, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

Agreed. If you can, use something other than a net...

Quote:
Originally posted by wooden_reefer

I always use a large clear plastic bag and move slowly. The fish is cornered and herded into the bag.

A trap is good if it does not involve my fish struggling against a surface (even soft let alone hard) when out of water.
Old 07/24/2007, 01:29 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wooden_reefer

Except when my safety is in question: lion fish or rabbbit fish etc.