Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/29/2007, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

NOVA extreme HOT-5 Comments/Questions

So i was getting NOVA extreme HOT-5 for my 40gl stretch hex tank

specs:: 40g oceanic stretch hex tank (drilled) in cherry along with the matching stand. The tank is 30" side to side (hex point to hex point), 18" front to back, with the main front 20".

anyways i was told you could keep pretty much anything in this tank coral wise-

i was wonderng if the lights were enough for anenomes-

i know that condys arent typically clown hosts- has anyone had a clown take one?
but would these lights be suitable for a bubble tip anemone

what are ppls experiences with this lightnig fixture-
Good/bad? what
Old 06/29/2007, 05:44 PM
Registered Member

13 views no comments?
Old 06/29/2007, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

No comments because it always starts a war

There are several people on this forum using the Current USA Nova fixtures over their reef tanks and having great results.
That said, because they dont use individual reflectors for each T5, they don't put out the amount of light of most of the more expensive systems. In other words, you can get fixtures that are more effective and efficient by spending more money up front but they may save you money down the road. In other words, there are lighting fixtures available that will produce as much or more light as the Novas with less bulbs. They will cost you more money up front and most dont come with the LEDs, which are very cool. But they will cost you less money in bulb replacement because they have less bulbs and they will cost you less money in electric bills and less heat added to your tank because they have less bulbs.

With all that said, the Nova fixtures work well for most people that own them according to their comments here. I had a Nova Extreme 8 bulb that I liked and would still be using if I stayed with all T5 lighting.
Old 06/29/2007, 09:00 PM
Registered Member

cool ok
Old 06/30/2007, 12:57 AM
Registered Member

so no one else has any comments