Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/08/2007, 01:39 AM
Premium Member

Red Carpet Anenome from Fish Town

Today I shopped at Fish Town USA, I saw a rare florecent red carpet anemome priced at $299.99, it's huge (one feet dia.). The last time I saw it was in NERAC Conference at Atlantis, 1/4 of the size, but double the price, couple people shared and propagated by cutting into pieces (I don't know if any of them survived). I will participate if more than 3 people want to share and "really" know how to propagate it.

The store also had lots of fish and corals in stock with good prices today. Medium size yellow tang $21.99, 3 for $60.-, over 100 in one tank, amazing view, and they don't fight.

I badly need some cleaning crew for my newly completely 700G system in office, and bought a few $99.99 "Algae packs" in time, each pack include balanced red leg hermit, green leg hermit, nassarius snail, small black turbo snail, mexican turbo snail, and emerald crab.

It's a little far from eastern Long Island, but worthwhile the trip this weekend at least.

The store locates at "196-33 Northern Blvd.Flushing, NY 11358", phone No. (718)539-5396. You may talk to George, Kathy, or Michelle. They are short of help, sometimes you have to wait for service.

Sunday is Manhatten Reef Frag Swap in Pace University. I heard some good things about it, and will be there.

James
Old 12/08/2007, 03:52 AM
Obsessive Compulsive

FishTown definitely has great prices, but their husbandry and care of their animals is not up to par in my opinion, but I could say that about a lot of stores. Just spend a few minutes to observe your animals before you buy them. Otherwise, I've picked up a lot of interesting things there at good prices.
Old 12/08/2007, 09:16 AM
Registered Member

also PM Chris & Warren, those are the knuckle heads you are talking about. I would live it up to them to tel you if any survived.
Old 12/08/2007, 10:46 AM
How many is too many?

WArren and i were the ones who got ther red carpet from NERAC several years ago. It died and after some extensive research we went about it the wrong way. I have sense cut a green carpet in half successfully. Dexter gave me a blue carpet that may meet the same successful fate if i decide to give him half back LOL The mistake i made with the Red Carpet was not putting it into its own tank. I put it in my cube which is connected to my reef which houses several other anemones. Ive learned alot sense the Red Carpet on propogating anemones.
Old 12/08/2007, 11:32 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Corpus Callosum
FishTown definitely has great prices, but their husbandry and care of their animals is not up to par in my opinion, but I could say that about a lot of stores. Just spend a few minutes to observe your animals before you buy them. Otherwise, I've picked up a lot of interesting things there at good prices.
I would say their husbandry is far above average, many stores are much worse and even you can smell it.

James
Old 12/08/2007, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

Apprantly a lot of people here do not know Fish Town's owner is a racist. I am sure they know how to conceal better now.
Read here: http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/...shtown-ny.html
Old 12/08/2007, 12:52 PM
Registered Member

how the heck you can be a racist in Flushing Queens?
Old 12/08/2007, 03:23 PM
How many is too many?

Irreguardless of there ways thats a good price. I wish i had a few extra bucks kicking around.
Old 12/08/2007, 04:05 PM
Paracentropyge Boyeli

Lol, I'll "kick you around" for no charge
Old 12/08/2007, 04:12 PM
How many is too many?

LOL That reminds me-- I need a favor Warren Ill call you or stop by next week.
Old 12/08/2007, 10:47 PM
Premium Member

The piece is sold.

James
Old 12/09/2007, 09:05 AM
How many is too many?

Im sure it will show up either on here or MR in time.
Old 12/09/2007, 10:31 AM
underfunded reefer

I hope you guys put in a little time and read through that thread. Assuming it is all true, which I have no reason to doubt, I wouldn't step foot in that place if they were GIVING things away. And truthfully, at this point, i will lose respect for anyone that continues to patronize that store.

Chris...irreguardless is NOT a word! lmao....and pleeeeeease tell me this favor does not involve you two, an anem, and anything remotely sharp...lol.....also, been too long....unsanctioned reef meeting, a few drinks, and some Ray bashing sound good?

"Nemo me impune laccesit" - From Edinburgh Castle meaning "no one provokes me without punishment" (thanks to K for sparking that memory)
Old 12/09/2007, 11:55 AM
How many is too many?

No nothing related to any of the above. So i cant spell but im alot better than Ray is LOL Atleast i have more than one long sentence! Ray bashing is always fun!
Old 12/09/2007, 12:46 PM
Premium Member

Irregardless · Linguistics
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Look up irregardless in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.

Irregardless is a term that has caused controversy since it first appeared in the early twentieth century. It is generally listed in dictionaries as "nonstandard".
Contents
[hide]

* 1 Origin
* 2 Appearance in reference books
* 3 Prescriptive vs. descriptive
* 4 Summary
* 5 Irregardless in popular culture
* 6 References

[edit] Origin

The origin of irregardless is not known for certain, but the consensus among references is that it is a blend of irrespective and regardless, both of which are commonly accepted standard English words. By blending these words, an illogical word is created. "Since the prefix ir- means 'not' (as it does with irrespective), and the suffix -less means 'without,' irregardless is a double negative."[1].

Irregardless is primarily found in North America, most notably in Boston and surrounding areas, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, and was first acknowledged in 1912 by the Wentworth American Dialect Dictionary as originating from western Indiana. Barely a decade later, the usage dispute over irregardless was such that, in 1923, Literary Digest published an article titled "Is There Such a Word as Irregardless in the English Language?"[2]

[edit] Appearance in reference books

One way to follow the progress of and sentiments toward irregardless is by studying how it is described in references throughout the twentieth century. Webster’s New International Dictionary (2nd. Ed. Unabridged) described the word as an erroneous or humorous form of regardless, and attributed it to the United States. Although irregardless was beginning to make its way into the American lexicon, it still was not universally recognized and was missing completely from Fowler's Modern English Usage,[3] published in 1965, nor is irregardless mentioned under the entry for regardless therein. In the last twenty-five years, irregardless has become a common entry in dictionaries and usage reference books. It appears in a wide range of dictionaries including: Webster's Third New International Dictionary of the English Language Unabridged (1961, repr. 2002),[4] The Barnhart Dictionary of Etymology (1988), The American Heritage Dictionary (Second College Edition, 1991),[5] Microsoft Encarta College Dictionary (2001), and Webster’s New World College Dictionary (Fourth Edition, 2004).[6]This word was first seen in print in the Gordon family anthology.

[edit] Prescriptive vs. descriptive

The approach taken by lexicographers when documenting a word's uses and limitations can be prescriptive or descriptive. The method used with irregardless is overwhelmingly prescriptive. Much of the criticism comes from the illogical double negative pairing of the prefix (ir-) and suffix (-less), and the argument that irregardless is not, or should not be, a word at all because it lacks the antecedents of a "bona fide nonstandard word." A counterexample is provided in ain't, which has an "ancient genealogy," at which scholars would not dare level such criticisms.[1]

The descriptive approach to "irregardless" is to note that it is considered nonstandard by educated people.

[edit] Summary

Irregardless seems to be moving slowly in the direction of standardization.[citation needed] It has gone from nonexistence in the 1910 publication of Etymological Dictionary of the English Language,[7] to being a normality in modern dictionary publications, and it frequently occurs in edited professional prose. The fact that its listing as a "humorous usage" has practically disappeared today supplies further evidence in favor of acceptance. Some argue that adding a second negative to a word like regardless is a humorous way to illustrate an underabundance of irregard. However, strong resistance to the word still remains. Australian linguist Pam Peters (The Cambridge Guide to English Usage, 2004) suggests that irregardless has become fetishized, since natural examples of this word in corpora of written and spoken English are greatly outnumbered by examples where it is in fact only cited as an incorrect term.

[edit] Irregardless in popular culture
Trivia sections are discouraged under Wikipedia guidelines.
The article could be improved by integrating relevant items and removing inappropriate ones.

* In the Family Guy episode "Stewie Kills Lois" (Part 2), Stewie threatens to consign anyone who uses the word 'irregardless' to a work camp.
* The word is featured in the 2004 documentary film Spellbound. It was spoken by the mother of one of the contestants, Ted Brigham, in the sentence: I think Ted's got the advantage of parents who think he's great irregardless.
* In Mean Girls, irregardless is used by Gretchen, a member of the popular girls' clique, The Plastics.
* The word is spoken by Leo in the movie Corky Romano.
* In a second season episode ("Irregarding Steve") of American Dad, Steve Smith and Roger the alien make fun of Stan Smith when he uses the term. Steve remarks, "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!"
* Spoken by Danny Masterson in Puff Puff Pass "Irregardless is not a word! This is going to drive me ****ing crazy..."
* In the short film The Parlor two characters argue over the term:
o Joey: "Irregardless she's a twat."
o Beth: "Irregardless isn't even a word."
o Joey: "Yes it is, it means without lack of regard."
* In an early episode of the HBO mini-series Band of Brothers, the word is used by Capt. Herbert Sobel to then Lt. Richard Winters, just prior to Sobel's issuing a court martial allegation against Winters for not following orders.
* In the movie The Hebrew Hammer, the main character mentions the term: "I guess I could be chalant about it, but then again I’m not even so sure if that’s a word. Listen Chief, we could stand around arguing all day, making up words like chalant and irregardless, but I gotta case to crack.”
* In a Saturday Night Live episode - Sully & Denise (Episode 12 w. Ben Affleck)
o Denise: "But you were supposed to call me when you got done with work."
o Sully: "Irregardless, you have been under surveillance this whole time."
* There is a restaurant in Raleigh, North Carolina called the "Irregardless Cafe."

[edit] References

1. ^ b Soukhanov, Anne H., ed. The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language. 3rd Ed. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1992.
2. ^ Partridge, Eric, ed. Origins: A Short Etymological Dictionary of Modern English. New York: Macmillan, 1966.
3. ^ Barnhart, Robert K., ed. The Barnhart Dictionary of Etymology. H. W. Wilson Company, 1988.
4. ^ Rooney, Dr. Kathy, ed. Microsoft Encarta College Dictionary. New York: St. Martin's Press, 2001.
5. ^ Murray, James, et al., eds. The Oxford English Dictionary. 2nd Ed. Vol. VIII. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1989.
6. ^ Fowler, H[enry] W[atson], and Sir Ernest Gowers, eds. Fowler's Modern English Usage. 2nd Ed. New York: Oxford University Press, 1965.
7. ^ Gove, Phillip B., ed. Webster's Third New International Dictionary of the English Language Unabridged. Springfield, Massachusetts: Merriam-Webster, 1981.
8. ^ Berube, Margery S., ed. The American Heritage Dictionary. 2nd College Ed. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1991.
9. ^ Agnes, Michael, ed. Webster's New World College Dictionary. 4th Ed. Cleveland, Ohio: Wiley Publishing, 2004.
10. ^ Skeat, W. W., ed. Etymological Dictionary of the English Language. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1910.
11. ^ Kipfer, Barbara Ann, ed. Roget’s 21st Century Thesaurus. New York: Dell Publishing, 1992.
12. ^ Flerner, Stuart and Jess Stein, eds. The Random House Thesaurus. College Ed. New York: Random House, 1984.
Old 12/09/2007, 12:48 PM
Premium Member

And I agree. Despite the fact that I had some of my best live rock from FishTown for my first tank, and had gone back a cupla times a year,I will not be returning. Please no comments on the use of cupla.
Old 12/09/2007, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

It's sad thay the story is still contained within a small group and some would still opt to go there, even if they know they are discriminated.
Old 12/09/2007, 05:57 PM
RC Staff
American

Quote:
Originally posted by yeahcheetah
It's sad thay the story is still contained within a small group
That "small group" is probably the core of that particular store's customer base.

I don't frequent the store anyway, so not going there really doesn't mean a lot to me, nor the store. Two things come to mind though.......

1) You're completely buying the word of someone that posted something on the Internet. I'm not accusing anyone of lying, but it's pretty naive to believe that you can believe everything you read. Does anyone here know the poster?

If the story is true;

2) Is anyone really surprised to find out that prejudice exists?

I'm certainly not saying it's right, but I know that no matter who you are, there are people somewhere that hate you without knowing you.

That said, post cautiously to this thread. The subject matter at hand can easily become a problem.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 12/09/2007, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

I hate Chris, Warren & that other guy....unfortunately I know them, so does that count?
Old 12/09/2007, 07:35 PM
How many is too many?

Awe Dexter im not feeling the love and i hate you too! Just remember who has posetion of your beautiful blue carpet anemone
Brad-- Seems im correct LOL Thanks Boneh!

Oh yes and i no longer patronize FT. I read that MR thread as it happened. Pretty disgusting IMO.
Old 12/09/2007, 09:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DgenR8
1) You're completely buying the word of someone that posted something on the Internet. I'm not accusing anyone of lying, but it's pretty naive to believe that you can believe everything you read. Does anyone here know the poster?

If the story is true;

2) Is anyone really surprised to find out that prejudice exists?

I'm certainly not saying it's right, but I know that no matter who you are, there are people somewhere that hate you without knowing you.

That said, post cautiously to this thread. The subject matter at hand can easily become a problem.
1) That "someone" happened to be a good reefer who I bought frags from a couple of times. He's got the asian looking and I know he is a decent man. Besides, if you have gone through the entire thread, you will see that "someone" is backed up by a very, very, very long list of people supporting him, including another one who happened to drove by and offered testimony; and FT's CS and that woman's bad attitude is well know among the MR members, plus she is a liar who got nailed by a MR member with hard evidence. So, I don't have to believe until I see that with my own eyes.

2) I guess none is surprised by finding out there is prejudice, or say racial discrimination, to be more appropriate.
Old 12/09/2007, 10:13 PM
RC Staff
American

I didn't read the whole thread, just skimmed a few posts. I don't know many people at MR, except for a few that post here as well.
I take your word for it that you know nycpassat, even that he is a decent person, but I don't think you said that earlier.
The Internet is a vast place, full of anonymity. I was just suggesting that there could be another side to the story. There may well not be, but it's possible that there was/is.
Again, I'm not supporting discrimination, I'd go as far as to say that it's at the very least, a bad business decision.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 12/10/2007, 10:40 AM
Registered Member

Actucally I know the other guy who was there the other day, not the OP, just to clarify. He posted later on the 2nd page.

I didn't want to reveal my personal relationship with the victim because that would decrease the credibility of the story. 11 pages of responses should be sufficient, loud and clear.

More for interested people:

The woman tried to lie but got busted
This is how she treated her customer
FT's internal manipulation revealed by a former employee
Old 12/10/2007, 03:29 PM
underfunded reefer

Chris - all that nonsense still pretty much says that it is NOT a word...lol....but it appears to be moving down the same path as "ain't"....so in time, it will work...but its all in good fun!

"Nemo me impune laccesit" - From Edinburgh Castle meaning "no one provokes me without punishment" (thanks to K for sparking that memory)
Old 12/10/2007, 04:09 PM
How many is too many?

LOL You know im just playin. Ofcoarse i had to give you some grief over it LOL