Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/31/2007, 05:35 PM
Registered Member

Oscellaris Clowns?

So this past weekend I set up a 29 gallon tank. Right now it's just the live rock and I'm going to cure it for like 3 weeks. But once it's cured I have a friend who is giving me a pair of oscellaris clowns and I was wondering what type of anemone(s) they usually host in. Suggestions?
Old 12/31/2007, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

Their actual host is a Stichodactyla gigantea or a Heteractis magnifica but I wouldn't put either of them in a 29 gallon tank. They grow to 20" or more and require a advanced aquarist to care for them. I have seen ocellaris in Bubble Tip Anemones but only in bubble tip anemones that were at least 9" - 12" in size. You could try a BTA but wait till your tank is at least 6 months old before adding a BTA.
Old 12/31/2007, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

alright, ill keep that in mind. I've also seen clowns using other corals (im not sure which) instead of an anemone would one of these be a better alternative?
John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that someone lays down his life friends.
Old 12/31/2007, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

Some ocellaris don't accept anything as a host. Then you have ocellaris that like algae, powerheads or veggie clips as their host. I have seen pictures of ocellaris that host frogspawn, torch, hammer coral, toadstool, hairy mushrooms, or open brain coral. It depends on the fish. My pair have chosen the sand as their place to sleep at night.
Old 12/31/2007, 06:14 PM
Registered Member

so basically with my size tank its kindof a hit or miss kind of thing then right?
John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that someone lays down his life friends.
Old 12/31/2007, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

I hope some day, my pair hosts some thing other than the sand. You could put what ever corals in your tank and just hope that they host some thing other than algae, powerheads, sand or rocks. Just make sure the coral is big and healthy enough to handle the love of a clown. There has been a few threads saying that their clown killed their coral. I haven't heard of ocellaris being rough with their host but its better to be safe than sorry.
Old 12/31/2007, 07:27 PM
Registered Member

As wicked said, ocellaris' natural hosts are not likely a good match for your setup. I quarantined my male ocellaris in my RBTA's tank a few years ago and he quickly took up with the RBTA. He is a tank-bred ocellaris, so presumably had never even seen an anemone before. My guess is that if you got a RBTA the clown would host. As I'm sure you know, they do require bright light and good water conditions.
Old 12/31/2007, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

Mine hosts in a hammer coral and does not seem to be very rough with it at all. It has three heads and she loves to tuck in between them for cover. She is tank raised and took right to the coral within a day or two.
Old 01/01/2008, 04:32 PM
Registered Member

ok, cool thanks for the input i guess ill just try some things once i get the clowns and some corals
Old 01/07/2008, 12:42 AM
Registered Member

I have one pair of ocellaris that wont touch my BTA's, but my Black/orange ocellaris pair love them? All of them are aquacultured.
Old 01/07/2008, 12:51 AM
Registered Member

I have a breeding pair that are in a GBTA. They will host a number of corals and the one that I have seen them kill is the goniopora. Get a BTA (rose or green) and just wait. There is a chance that it will not host it but if it's the only thing in the tank, it should.