Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers

Old 11/17/2007, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

My new LT plate

I've been wanting to get one of these for a while, it's a nice addition to the tank. I'm still learning how to take pics, so please excuse the quality.

Old 11/17/2007, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

Pretty nice looking
Old 11/17/2007, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

That's a very nice looking piece!
Old 11/17/2007, 07:10 PM
Registered Member

thanks. I have been wanting one of these for a while, but had heard they are hard to take care of. This one looked to be in good shape and i know the LFS owner very well so i decided to give it a chance. I have it on a rock now, but i think tomorrow i'll move it to the bottom. I have starboard there(bb tank) but from what i read it should be ok. My tank is 21" deep(standard 75g) with 6 T5's over it, it should get enough light on the bottom right?
Old 11/17/2007, 11:48 PM
Premium Member

Beautiful color combo, and yes, they are far more difficult to care for than the Short-tenticled PC. Place on the sand as these can move on their own and you don't want it to tumble off the rock onto another specimen or slip into a crack and damage itself.
Old 11/21/2007, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

That looks great! I got one just like it about 2 weeks ago. Traded about 10 frags of Kenya Tree to my LFS for it.

Old 11/21/2007, 10:56 AM
Premium Member

seagirl...
looks nice. looks like it's on some rocks though. shouldn't they be on the sand?
Old 11/21/2007, 02:30 PM
NaH2O

very nice specimen!
I'd highly recommend taking the LTPC off of the rockwork, and placing it onto the substrate in your tank though. The only reason I say this is because they are more than capable of mobility, and I've heard many stories of them plunging off the rocks, get cut up, and then brown jelly kills it. Don't want this to happen to you Also when it expands and deflates, the rock around the LTPC make cut the flesh...you don't want that.
If they are HO T-5's, I think you'll be good. Place it on the bottom of your tank, and it will move around until it finds it's happy spot.
Old 11/25/2007, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

Great looking Heliofungia! Love the contrast, most I've seen are brown or dull green.

Matthew
Old 11/26/2007, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the compliments everyone.

DragonZim- very nice coral, looks great.

I tried putting it on the bottom of the tank, but the tank is a bare bottom and i have a lot of flow on the bottom so tht it keeps anything from settling there. I've got to try and adjust the flow so that there is a lower flow area on the bottom where i can put it.

Also i do not have hte overdriven Ice Cap T5's, but i do have 6 54w T5HO's on the tank, tat should be enough for it at the bottom of a standard 75g tank right?

Do these corals benefit from spot feeding? i have spot fed it coral frenzy a couple times, but didn't know if there is something else i should give it.
Old 11/26/2007, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

nice coral. looks great!